topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: need help on an annoying keyboard problem  (Read 7072 times)

xtekian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • .: w/xoco :.'/
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: need help on an annoying keyboard problem
« on: March 01, 2006, 11:38 PM »
I just got a keyboard a little over a month ago and it's already malfunctioning =| definitely a bummer, but it's a wireless keyboard and so i don't want to shell out money for a new one

basically, my "w" has become very, very sensitive. i don't know how it malfunctions, but basically, if i even slightly press the "w" key, the keyboard will register it as a keystroke (without pressing it down all the way). a lot of times i find myself accidentally resting a finger on the key and it registers the 'w' key leading to a string of w's like wwwwwwwwwww.

howewer, it gets worse. if i press the "w" key all the way down, it registers another keystroke. if i don't press the "w" key fast enough, the keyboard registers the "w" as being pressed twice, once for just touching the key and once for actually pressing the key. this gets VERY annoying when i'm typing, because when i'm typing fast i often type something like "wwhen" or "wwww" instead of "www" the only way i can bypass this problem is if i press the "w" key very fast, and only then will it register one keystroke. howwever, i can only do that with lots of concentration and it's a pain in the butt. finally, one last snitch; if i release the "w" key slowly, it will also register another "w" keypress, so i can technically type "www" with one keypress.

so basically, i know a solution but i need help coding it....

can someone write a quick autohotkey script that will only let 1 instance of the "w" key occur over a specific time? for example, if windows detects that the "w" key is pressed twice within .3 seconds or .5 seconds (or an x amount of time), only one instance of the "w" will be recorded and inputted into the program. however, if the "w" key is pressed and held, it should continue acting like any other key that is pressed and held (most notably for gaming)

thanks!

xtekian
TkR
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 02:41 AM by brotherS »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: need help on an annoying keyboard problem
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 12:07 AM »
have you tried cleaning your keyboard, ie removing the w key etc.?  there are some sites about how to do it well.

xtekian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:47 AM »
this keyboard uses "x-type" technology or something like that, it's different from most keyboards =| for reference, it's a benq x730 slim wireless keyboard
TkR

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 01:14 AM »
Have a look at:
http://www.microsoft...wsxp/filterkeys.aspx

"FilterKeys is an accessibility option that adjusts the keyboard response so that inadvertently repeated keystrokes are ignored. Using FilterKeys, you can also slow the rate at which a key repeats when you hold it down. This procedure tells you how to turn on FilterKeys through Accessibility Options in Control Panel."

tony

xtekian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 06:21 PM »
no luck =| it only allows an option of .5 seconds, which is too slow for me. guess i'm gonna have to repair it =|
TkR

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 02:19 AM »
 :) Could this help?

#SingleInstance,Force
#Persistent

oldticks:=A_TickCount
Return

*w::
ticks:=A_TickCount
If (ticks-oldticks>30)
  Send,w
oldticks:=ticks
Return

*w Up::
Return

Skrommel

xtekian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: need help on an annoying keyboard problem
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 11:57 PM »
thanks mate =)  it turns out that the w key affects my typings as well as gaming so, it seems like i'm gonna have to get it fixed after all =| however, using the script really helps the typing part so thanks =) i'll use it for now
TkR