topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Clipboard size limit  (Read 6853 times)

Boydon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Clipboard size limit
« on: March 13, 2011, 04:43 AM »
Hello, it is always me and I think I've found another bug.

If I remove the max size in bytes (set i to 0) and then I copy a large clip of text (21298 bytes) CHS crashes. Same thing happen if I set the limit to 30000 bytes and then copy the same clip.

I also have another request: I would like to have CHS to ALWAYS display the last 50 items I've copied, but I can't understand how (the option I have to change), although the items are correctly displayed in the new database they do not appear in the Quick Paste Menu.

Thank you very much.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Clipboard size limit
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:46 AM »
All I can say is keep the bugs coming -- I appreciate the help finding them!

I will check into the large clip text bug. It's an interesting question about what the maximum clip size is going to be, but certainly there is no excuse for crashing.  What I may have to do (decide to do) is make it so that after a certain size, if you still wants CHS to save huge text clips, it will do so in external files, much in the same way that i am planning to handle images.  So that if you want CHS to save 10mb text clips, i could allow it, but the clips wouldn't go into the normal database -- instead they would be saved to files linked from the database entries.

As for wanting to display the last 50 items in the popup, im not sure what kind of limit i put on it.. i'm assuming you did find the option for how you tell it how many to show and can change that successfully, except that it just won't go up to as many as you want it to, is that right?

Boydon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 02:24 PM »
As for wanting to display the last 50 items in the popup, im not sure what kind of limit i put on it.. i'm assuming you did find the option for how you tell it how many to show and can change that successfully, except that it just won't go up to as many as you want it to, is that right?

I found the option and i set it correctly. The problem I have is that when I don't use the PC for a while (i switch it off for example), when I start a new session the items are in the "New" DB, but the Pop Up is empty. I would like if possible to always have the last 50 clips I used, no mater what.  I hope I explained myself well.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 02:35 PM »
ah yes i know your problem -- it has nothing to do with 50 it has to do with the additional date/time cutoff in the sql for the quick paste group.

Right-click on the Quick Paste group and edit it and modify the SQL for the virtual folder.  by default it's: "NOT (IsInRecyleBin) AND (ModificationDateTime>=DateTimeMinusOneHour)"
if you change that to just "NOT (IsInRecyleBin)" you might see what you want.

Boydon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 03:03 PM »
Right-click on the Quick Paste group and edit it and modify the SQL for the virtual folder.  by default it's: "NOT (IsInRecyleBin) AND (ModificationDateTime>=DateTimeMinusOneHour)"
if you change that to just "NOT (IsInRecyleBin)" you might see what you want.

I didn't realize that the Quick Paste was handled like a virtual folder. Really nice.
One more thing :P is there a way to make the preview of the clip shorter than 100 chars for longer clips?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:24 PM »
is there a way to make the preview of the clip shorter than 100 chars for longer clips?

Should be on the Quick Paste Pop-up Menu options tab.

Boydon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 04:37 AM »
Am I missing it?

Quick Paste.png

About large clip: if you store them in file then would you be able to use the search feature? Maybe you could think of a way to split larger entries in more DB entries. Just my two cents. :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:40 AM by Boydon »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:51 PM »
if you store them in file then would you be able to use the search feature
no you would not, that would be the tradeoff to be paid for storing 10mb text clips :)

Regarding clip menu title size i thought it was Maximum Implicit Title Size but that must be something different; i will add option to set length limit for menu excerpt.