Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum
  *

avatar image

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 03, 2016, 09:58:44 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Solving Issues - Pain and More Pain  (Read 1589 times)

Renegade

  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • ***
  • Posts: 13,220
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Solving Issues - Pain and More Pain
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:25:46 PM »
Well, I finally solved a stupid problem. The solution was to remove a single attribute from an XML node. I'd been through a trillion different routes, and finally found it.

The problem came from an upgraded web.config file going from IIS6 to IIS7, in which the attribute got added. Sigh...

Anyways... Just one of those things. Lost more time over it than I care to admit, but eventually got it working. YAY~! :D

Lesson learned: Sometimes things just aren't that complicated, and going back to basics can save a lot of time.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Armando

  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • ***
  • Posts: 2,727
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Solving Issues - Pain and More Pain
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »
 :) That type of thing happened to me a lot lately, and it involved XML (and character encoding).

Will focus on improving my problem solving algorithms...

Ath

  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • **
  • Posts: 2,778
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Solving Issues - Pain and More Pain
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:27:38 AM »
the attribute got added

What did that pesky attribute look like? (so we know what to avoid :D)

f0dder

  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • ***
  • Posts: 9,029
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Solving Issues - Pain and More Pain
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 01:40:32 AM »
XML - Pain and More Pain

There, fixed the topic for you.
- carpe noctem

Renegade

  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • ***
  • Posts: 13,220
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Solving Issues - Pain and More Pain
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 07:02:50 AM »
the attribute got added

What did that pesky attribute look like? (so we know what to avoid :D)

It won't help. :(

Let me delay the long explanation for a bit. Here's why:

http://cynic.me/2011...mplete-transparency/

I'm considering that, and am planning a post with code on the mini application I just finished (it's draft quality, but it's solid and it works).

The short version is that I ended up with:

preCondition="managedHandler"

Here:

Code: Text [Select]
  1. <system.webServer>
  2.       <modules>
  3.           <add name="UrlRewriteModule" type="UrlRewritingNet.Web.UrlRewriteModule, UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter" preCondition="managedHandler" />
  4.       </modules>
  5. </system.webServer>

Removing it solved the problem.



XML - Pain and More Pain

There, fixed the topic for you.


Actually, I'm quite good with XML and really like it (beats INI any day). It wasn't the XML itself that was the problem. It was the addition of that attribute that slipped past, and that I assumed was needed for IIS7.

XML specifications that are massively large, like that for a web.config file, are simply unmanageable, but not because they are XML. They're unmanageable because they're so complex, and errors aren't readily apparent sometimes.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Ath

  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • **
  • Posts: 2,778
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Solving Issues - Pain and More Pain
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 07:08:05 AM »
XML specifications that are massively large, like that for a web.config file, are simply unmanageable, but not because they are XML. They're unmanageable because they're so complex, and errors aren't readily apparent sometimes.

That's my biggest fear with .NET stuff, that I mess up all those massive and complex gazillion attribute elements, by making one trivial typo :tellme:
And the error messages thrown aren't helpful at all, usually it's something like "Initialization error" or "Exception was thrown..." without any useful stacktrace.

Renegade

  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • ***
  • Posts: 13,220
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Solving Issues - Pain and More Pain
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:14:50 AM »
I find most XML issues are pretty easy to track down. This one was silent, and emerged as 404, 404.4 and different 5xx errors.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker