topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST LaunchBar Commander VERSION INFO THREAD - v1.158.01 beta - Jan 22, 2020  (Read 277987 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
thanks dluby, that's what i need.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been using the beta for a couple days now without any problems.

I have a lot of (partly conflicting) ideas for feature requests. After 2 days straight sitting at my computer without sleep I'm guessing none of them would be particularly coherent right now. I'll try to remember some times when they are.

I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here goes with the feature requests. Actually the first one isn't really a feature request. It's actually just a suggestion to update the included NirCmd to the latest version which has the option to launch with elevated privileges.

My only real feature request is FARR integration. You've already mentioned the idea of using FARR alias files in LBC but there are a lot of things FARR does that would exponentially increase LBC's featureset and user friendliness. This might be more of a FARR feature request since interfacing with FARR is already covered by the existing plugin architecture. It might even require additions to it.

Using FARR as a backend you could let users create command nodes based on searches. Ideally it would probably go something like this. There could be variations on the current Command and Folder/FileContents nodes where the user can either enter the appropriate FARR command directly or launch FARR to create, test, or fine tune it. You could combine multiple commands in a single node, sort alphabetically, and whatever else might be LBC specific.

Farr could also be used to launch programs which would be generally beneficial IMO because there are some things LBC can't seem to launch with the same command line FARR has no trouble with. The Control Panel aliases from FARR are a perfect example. If I use one of those command lines for a LBC command node it doesn't launch on my computer. I'm assuming there's an issue with SysWOW64 redirection because if I don't include the path (ie control.exe vs %windir%\system32\control.exe) it works fine.

At least having an option to launch with FARR would also have the advantage of allowing me to change the command for launching an item on the fly to add or edit switches. Either using FARR directly or copying elements of its search results display could also add the ability to launch with elevated privileges. In fact just generally speaking it would be an upgrade in filesystem integration.

Here's what could really be groundbreaking in any number of ways - both for LBC and FARR. You could share alias files online by simply attaching them to posts here. Other users download them and LBC could present a list of programs it recognizes based on the aliases. Ideally that would mean they should be as universal as possible since the location could be wildly different from one computer to another. Fortunately that suits FARR's featureset perfectly.

Now let's say somebody downloads LBC to try it out. Instead of having to find all their software manually or rely on simply mirroring the Start Menu they LBC/FARR could be able to identify their programs automatically in less time than it takes to learn the basics of the program now. You add an online help feature to type a question into which FARR then uses for a web search.

The default option could be to search the LBC and FARR forums specifically and maybe have some preconfigured searches worded to generate results for alias files or other common topics. Assuming they're getting automatic updates you could even fine tune the searches over time. It would be sort of like a living help system which also has the benefit of leveraging this community.

So let's say a user wants to figure out how to add Open Office to their launchbar. They open the online help dialog, check the box to search for aliases and type in Open Office. LBC sends the appropriate command to FARR to perform the search and then results are listed there. If there aren't any results (or maybe if there are) it returns a link to the forum so they can come and ask for help.

There would definitely be some challenges to address - besides the obvious development questions I mean. It might make sense for LBC to use a different configuration for FARR. With LBC you already have a pretty good idea of the sorts of things people need to find and they might want files to be ignored for LBC that they might want to find normally. It might also make sense to add a special set of toolbar buttons to FARR when it's launched in a LBC help context.

Challenges aside, though, I think the power of FARR could make LBC just as easy to use as it is powerful - and also a lot more powerful.

I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

justauser

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks so much.  I can now have lb pop up where the windows start menu used to be.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Beta release:

v1.139.01 - Nov 27, 2013
  • [BugFix] Dropping a file into the middle of a parent's children could have resulted in tree showing incorrect items until preferences closed and reopened.
  • [Improvement] Minor improvements to the preferences/tree configuration UI; split main program options into multiple tabs.
  • [Improvement] Improved layout of command node options and instructions for handling dropped file arguments.
  • [MinorFeature] You can now explicitly rebuild launchbars from the preferences tree dialog from View menu, without closing preferences; this acts as a kind of Apply/preview function.
  • [Change] Enabled the "add padding" option to launchbars by default; this just adds a little padding at top and bottom (left and right) of launchbars.  This is especially useful for making non-full height docking bars.
  • [Improvement] When specifying a menu to be built from file contents, replacements will be made on the filename path specified, allowing you to use virtual folder replacement variables (e.g. %APPDIR% and %APPDRIVE%).
  • [Improvement] It was confusing to new users that the root Options node was where you had to go to change global system options, so I added a View -> Program Options item to menu,
  • [Improvement] LaunchBars won't unhide if a full screen app is running (think Netflix, screensaver, etc.)
  • [Improvement] Some checks for fullscreen app running were failing.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hopefully this latest beta fixes an annoying problem i've been noticing where moving your mouse to the side of the screen on a full screen game or movie, would make that "sound" that LBC plays when it unhides a dock.  The dock was hidden behind the full screen app but the sound was bloody annoying.

Happy Expat

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LaunchBar Commander
Requires: Microsoft Windows XP/NT/2000/Vista/Win7/Win8

LATEST BETA (1.139.01) Download:
    Isn't the release date wrong?
If you're thinking of trying something make sure you do it at least twice - then you're almost an expert
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:24 AM by Happy Expat »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Official Release:

v1.139.01 - Nov 28, 2013
  • [BugFix] Dropping a file into the middle of a parent's children could have resulted in tree showing incorrect items until preferences closed and reopened.
  • [Improvement] Minor improvements to the preferences/tree configuration UI; split main program options into multiple tabs.
  • [Improvement] Improved layout of command node options and instructions for handling dropped file arguments.
  • [MinorFeature] You can now explicitly rebuild launchbars from the preferences tree dialog from View menu, without closing preferences; this acts as a kind of Apply/preview function.
  • [Change] Enabled the "add padding" option to launchbars by default; this just adds a little padding at top and bottom (left and right) of launchbars.  This is especially useful for making non-full height docking bars.
  • [Improvement] When specifying a menu to be built from file contents, replacements will be made on the filename path specified, allowing you to use virtual folder replacement variables (e.g. %APPDIR% and %APPDRIVE%).
  • [Improvement] It was confusing to new users that the root Options node was where you had to go to change global system options, so I added a View -> Program Options item to menu,
  • [Improvement] LaunchBars won't unhide if a full screen app is running (think Netflix, screensaver, etc.)
  • [Improvement] Some checks for fullscreen app running were failing.
  • [Improvement] On portable use, it was possible for mcf docking bar files to not be found if the directory name had changed.
  • [BugFix] Folder node hints were wrong.
  • [BugFix] Change icon button was sometimes unreadable.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think one of the recent changes may have caused a small problem.

On the (XP) machine my most customised version of LBC lives on, I use VirtuaWin for multiple desktops. Since I updated LBC (yesterday) I've noticed that it has started mattering which order I load LBC and VirtuaWin: if VirtuaWin is running already, the LBC dock is only available in one of my desktops rather than (as previously) all of them. So, for instance, if I move the mouse to the bottom of screen 4 to activate my autohidden LBC dock, I get flipped to desktop 1 before the dock appears -- which came as a bit of a shock the first six times. (Look, I'm not always wearing my most analytical hat, okay? ;) )

I can fix it by exiting from VirtuaWin and reloading it, but this is definitely something I've never had to do before...

It's not a perfect fix: if I modify something LBCish which results in it reloading the dock, it does it in such a way that it "sticks" to the desktop that was active at the time of the reload. :(
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:40 AM by oblivion »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hmm.. and this is new since the latest version you think?

Is there a virtuawin option to tell it certain apps should be considered to be on all desktops?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:14 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST LaunchBar Commander VERSION INFO THREAD - v1.139.02 - Dec 6, 2013
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2013, 06:26 PM »
I've uploaded a new version (1.39.02) with a minor fix for full screen window detection that may have been suboptimal on windows 7 (it may have thought a maximized window was a full screen window in some cases).

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2013, 03:46 AM »
hmm.. and this is new since the latest version you think?
Maybe not -- this is my portable setup (used on my work PC, running XP)  and I might have missed the previous update.

Is there a virtuawin option to tell it certain apps should be considered to be on all desktops?
There's a window manager plugin I use that has that sort of functionality but it can only "see" LBC when the config window is open and selecting that to be "sticky" didn't seem to have any useful effect on docks.
-- bests, Tim

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28 AM »
I've uploaded a new version (1.39.02) with a minor fix for full screen window detection that may have been suboptimal on windows 7 (it may have thought a maximized window was a full screen window in some cases).
Have you taken it down again? The portable version is still 1.39.01...

And can I rattle your cage with respect to the new problem with VirtuaWin? Not that I'm threatening to stand over you with a whip or anything -- that would be WAY too easy to misinterpret -- but I keep forgetting I have to reload VW after LBC changes and I think the swearing may be upsetting the more delicate ears in my vicinity. :)
-- bests, Tim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Beta:

v1.141.01 Beta - April 16, 2014
  • [Improvement] The preferences (configuration tree) dialog was always scrolling the top Options node out of view, making it hard to find.  This top node is now scrolled into view where it is more obvious.
  • [BugFix] Automatic fixing up of form position/size on resolution change was sometimes not being engaged.
  • [Improvement] Clarified onscreen instructions for adding a node that opens a folder.
  • [MinorFeature] The exit menu item on launchbars can be disabled.
  • [Feature] You can now use Ctrl plus Up,Down,Left,Right when in the configuration tree to move nodes around the hierarchy easily.
  • [Feature] Supports use of environmental variables and %APPDIR% like replacements in command launch arguments (needs testing!).
  • [Feature] An error is now reported if user tries to launch a node pointing to a non-existent file (needs testing).
  • [Feature] Added new maintenance menu item to check entire tree for any filepaths that may no longer be valid (user has option for trying to auto fix them).
  • [Bugfix] LBC was not properly identifying full screen applications, causing it not to unhide when it should if current window was maximized (but not full screen); if you have turned off the option to Keep LaunchBars "On Top" and you use AutoHiding docks, you should try re-enabling this option.  Should make it possible to use full screen games without LBC waking up.
  • [MinorFeature] You can now set custom size of separators.
  • [MinorFeature] You can now set custom margins for docking bars.
  • [MinorFeature] You can now set minimum width/height for items (for entire dock or overide for single items).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:28 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Perhaps the most useful feature in this new version is the maintenance tool to identify items whose files can no longer be found -- and the error you'll see if you try to launch one.

I would just like some more testing, especially from portable users, to make sure there are no false alarms regarding those -- I'm afraid it may falsely complain about local relative files not being found.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone tried the beta?

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone tried the beta?
Some people are just SO pushy. :)

I'd forgotten all about it. Cleverly.  :-[ I've picked it up now and I'll have a play with it this afternoon.

[later]

Looks fine so far, but my main host PC (this is still portable LBC on my portable hard disk) is now 64-bit Windows 7 and I couldn't persuade VirtuaWin to work on it.

I'll try it in XP with VirtuaWin later on.

In the meantime, is there any specific aspect you want tested?
-- bests, Tim

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:54 AM by oblivion »

xbible_yosef

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • xbible blog
    • Donate to Member
hey mouser,

yeah trying it today, moved my menu sets across, all seems good with just a few hours testing.

The new -noexit doesn't seem to work though

Also when I click on LaunchBarCommander.chm, none of the menus would show, when I right clicked this file, there was a tick to turn off some protection?   this is probably more of a Windows security thing, but never had to do this on older versions of LBC.

regards

Yosef
Chief Administrator
The XBIBLE project
Providing the Christian scriptures to hard to reach nations
@xbible - xbible.wordpress.com

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v1.142.01 - May 14, 2014
  • [Improvement] The preferences (configuration tree) dialog was always scrolling the top Options node out of view, making it hard to find.  This top node is now scrolled into view where it is more obvious.
  • [BugFix] Automatic fixing up of form position/size on resolution change was sometimes not being engaged.
  • [Improvement] Clarified onscreen instructions for adding a node that opens a folder.
  • [MinorFeature] The exit menu item on launchbars can be disabled.
  • [Feature] You can now use Ctrl+Shift plus Up,Down,Left,Right when in the configuration tree to move nodes around the hierarchy easily.
  • [Feature] Supports use of environmental variables and %APPDIR% like replacements in command launch arguments (needs testing!).
  • [Feature] An error is now reported if user tries to launch a node pointing to a non-existent file (needs testing).
  • [Feature] Added new maintenance menu item to check entire tree for any filepaths that may no longer be valid (user has option for trying to auto fix them).
  • [Bugfix] LBC was not properly identifying full screen applications, causing it not to unhide when it should if current window was maximized (but not full screen); if you have turned off the option to Keep LaunchBars "On Top" and you use AutoHiding docks, you should try re-enabling this option.  Should make it possible to use full screen games without LBC waking up.
  • [MinorFeature] You can now set custom size of separators.
  • [MinorFeature] You can now set custom margins for docking bars.
  • [MinorFeature] You can now set minimum width/height for items (for entire dock or overide for single items).
  • [MinorFeature] If dock is set to show item hints, those hints will now also be shown on hover when dock is minimized to tray.
  • [Bugfix] LBC was not properly identifying full screen applications, causing it not to unhide when it should if current window was maximized (but not full screen); if you have turned off the option to Keep LaunchBars "On Top" and you use AutoHiding docks, you should try re-enabling this option.  Should make it possible to use full screen games without LBC waking up.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just a note here to say that I finally -- too late, as usual -- got round to testing the new version with VirtuaWin under XP and it still doesn't work the way it used to.

[It didn't used to matter what the loading order was, LBC in an autohidden toolbar would appear in the VirtuaWin window in which it was used. For the last couple of versions, LBC had to be loaded before VirtuaWin for that to work -- and if the LBC config is changed, VW has to be exited and reloaded to prevent an attempted activation of LBC flipping you back to the VW window that was active when the LBC config was changed.

This is less important to me than it was: I don't use XP as much as I did -- only running it on one PC, now -- and I gave up trying to make VirtuaWin work properly with Win7 so I'm using a different solution for virtual desktops now :) ]
-- bests, Tim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Latest beta:

v1.144.01 BETA - Dec 18, 2014
  • [Feature] Added toolbar button in tree configuration dialog to quickly rebuild toolbars and preview changes.
  • [Feature] Added option to folder contents nodes to sort results by date (and list date).
  • [MinorFeature] When Ctrl+V paste is not accepted by a node, you now get a better error.
  • [MinorFeature] Some error messages could appear on wrong monitor of multimonitor setups.
  • [MinorFeature] Added shortcut to Control Panel itself in control panel shortcut list.
  • [MinorFeature] Maintenance check for missing images and commands now reports each node's internal id.
  • [MinorFeature] Dropping a shortcut file and telling LBC to copy shortcut properties will now use shortcut name as node caption.
  • [MinorFeature] Menu item captions can now use environmental % vars.
  • [BugFix] SwitchTo running process was not detecting running processes if the command was specified using relative path or environmental vars.
  • [BugFix] LBC was failing to grab icons from non-exe files.
  • [BugFix] Fixed hanging crash that could occur if an icon could not be extracted from a file (for example a dropped .scr file).
  • [BugFix] Fixed incorrect missing-icon image used when icon could not be extracted from a file.
  • [Change] In an effort to avoid having significant changes to configuration tree lost on a crash -- the program now prompts you to save changes whenever you close the configuration tree.
  • [BugFix] On opening configuration tree, the tree was sometimes scrolled so that the Options node was easy to overlook.

voxel

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • [Feature] Added toolbar button in tree configuration dialog to quickly rebuild toolbars and preview changes.
  • [MinorFeature] Menu item captions can now use environmental % vars.
Cool!!  :Thmbsup:
Thank you!!  :D

voxel

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Could be possible to add an option to reduce (or specify...just one pixel) the width of the activation area?
Some programs, in full screen mode and without the title bar (for instance Firefox or Photoshop), have the menu so close to the edge of the screen that you end up activating LBC unintentionally even with some "appear delay". Also usually happens when trying to use scroll bars or buttons (minimize, maximize, close).
Now is 6 pixels wide....
Thank you.

towlerg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST LaunchBar Commander VERSION INFO THREAD - v1.144 - Dec 31, 2014
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2015, 11:23 AM »
Just keeps getting better.

Thanks a million.

George

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v1.145.01 - Apr 22, 2015
  • [BugFix] On bootup, a docked launchbar was occasionally docked off screen and could only be restored by Ctrl+Alt+Shift+L emergency hotkey.

If you never experienced this problem, count yourself lucky -- I have and it's a real annoyance.  Hopefully this will fix it.  (It only happened when program is scheduled to run at bootup time).