topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: should I ragequit?  (Read 23965 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: should I ragequit?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 06:38 PM »
DonationCoder is all about freedom of speech...we can see this by the lack of action in regards to another forum member here in a recent fight where several members have left the forum due to the fight.  If people want to get pissy about it...then leave...does anybody honestly care anymore?
-Stephen66515 (May 02, 2011, 06:20 PM)

Well...I care.

At least enough to hope that you (like housetier) aren't irrevocably committed when you say things like:

Until some members on this forum realise that this is a PUBLIC FORUM (See above for definition) then I will no longer be partaking in conversations here.

I'd like to think we can passionately disagree without feeling the need to turn on each other in order to demonstrate the depth of our feelings and convictions about something.

Sometimes, the simple act of "agreeing to disagree" is the highest form of respect we can extend to each other.

Just my tuppence anyway. :)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:47 PM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 06:47 PM »
I'd like to think we can passionately disagree about something, without feeling the need to turn on each other, in order to demonstrate how deeply held our convictions are.

Right-on Man!  :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 07:11 PM »
I'd like to think we can passionately disagree without feeling the need to turn on each other in order to demonstrate the depth of our feelings and convictions about something.

Sometimes, the simple act of "agreeing to disagree" is the highest form of respect we can extend to each other.

I had to re-quote to include the other part.  Cool statement!  :Thmbsup:

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 07:12 PM »
The only thing I have to say to both parties is using the internet requires tough skin. I hope I haven't done anything to offend anything and would certainly want to make amends if so, but it is unrealistic to believe all of us will agree on every subject. The important thing isn't that conflict doesn't occur, it's how you handle it when it does occur.

Having said that, I have some humor for you
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 09:19 PM »
It is unrealistic to believe all of us will agree on every subject.

+1

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 09:41 PM »
New Rule:

After you've been on dc for 6 months and/or made 6 posts.. You may not leave..  Ever.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 09:42 PM »
New Rule:

After you've been on dc for 6 months and/or made 6 posts.. You may not leave..  Ever.

Welcome to the Hotel Coderfornia~!

Such a lovely place...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Tehehe I love that song!

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 11:09 PM »
It's EVAAAAR!!! mouser's always had trouble with his spellings! :P

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 01:43 AM »

Welcome to the Hotel Coderfornia~!

Such a lovely place...

I think it's about time Renegade gets awarded with the 'Official Forum Clown' badge. I think he demonstrated more than enough recently that he possesses the necessary skill and endurance :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 06:56 AM »
the reality is that this forum is a mix of different people with often (very) different ideas of what's acceptable or not. I thought the response was very mixed -

The only thing I have to say to both parties is using the internet requires tough skin. I hope I haven't done anything to offend anything and would certainly want to make amends if so, but it is unrealistic to believe all of us will agree on every subject.

+1.

House, remember that a lot of what you're reading is quick, emotion-motivated posts, many of them by Americans who are glad to have some form of closure after almost a decade of grief and smoldering anger over the Twin Towers.  I daresay most would not have pulled the trigger, had they had a gun pointing at Osama.  To a certain degree, we have to learn to overlook or shrug-off dissenting points of view.  

I hope, therefore, that you'll choose to stay.  Just don't read posts whose titles suggest they might contain posts offensive to you.  That's what I do :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:58 AM by kyrathaba »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 10:13 AM »
stephen, You are mangling several issues into one. This makes it difficult to answer.

1.) I cannot agree to foregoing trial and killing right away for economic reasons. We are talking about civilization here (mostly: "how do we deal with Bad people"). However, if you want to go into this: the federal military budget is so totally out of proportion, no one knows how many zeros that number has. So to putting him to trial would cost two or three bombs at most. That is not much compared to the operating cost of an aircraft carrier.

2.) About those death tolls (and this is very difficult to use in an argument): how many Americans died related to the event we now call "9/11" compared to how many Americans died in the following wars?

3.) Yes people do care a lot. Some care so much they go out of their way and belittle dissenting voices, or call names.

4.) I did not tell you to shut up or to leave. So from my point of view you can still post whatever you want here, regardless of how little I agree.

5.) I will not go into all those provocative maneuvers you put in your post. I consider myself too grown up.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:16 AM by housetier, Reason: forgot a negation there »

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 10:29 AM »
I'm no gunslinger, but given the opportunity I'd have pulled that specific trigger.  As far as I'm concerned, Osama confessed with his video exultations and calls for future mass killings.  Formal trial not necessary.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 10:55 AM »
So once the guilt has been established by whomever, anyone can carry out the sentence?

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 10:57 AM »
So to putting him to trial would cost two or three bombs at most. That is not much compared to the operating cost of an aircraft carrier.
What you are not seeing is the human cost of keeping him in a prison awaiting trial. There would be rioting around the world, which usually comes with a huge loss of life. There would be hostages taken in an attempt to have him released. The extremists would all be rallying and coming together instead of falling apart.

It is much better this way. It was quick, it was clean, and it is over. There is no grave site to be made a shrine. There is no living bin Laden in prison that would become more of a symbol for the extremists.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22 AM »
You seem like a good guy, and I like Ya, but...

So once the guilt has been established by whomever, anyone can carry out the sentence?

There's no whomever involved here. Were talking about a first person style-  I Did It - video confession. There was no remorse or appology. He showed great pride in his handywork. That's about as guilty as you can get.

What would you expect then to have for a trial defense? Say he was just kidding about the video?

I'm with mrainey, I'd have shot him and gone to lunch.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 12:02 PM »
Most talk (relatively) light-hearted about taking someone's life.

Having spent quite some time fulfilling my duty to my country, I have not spent too much time on the firing range, because:
a) Communication was exempt from a lot of military stuff, as the army thinks it is a waste spending time and effort on people that can be blown to bits 24 hours a day in an active war zone.
b) The time I did spent there I contemplated that I would get into mental trouble should a human being replace the target cards.

Last week I saw an episode of 'Game of Thrones' and there one character spoke some wise words...The one who gives the death sentence should carry it out as well.

Now if someone deserved to die it was Osama Bin Laden, so I agree with the common consensus here. Then again, I do understand where housetier is coming from.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 02:05 PM »
Last week I saw an episode of 'Game of Thrones' and there one character spoke some wise words...The one who gives the death sentence should carry it out as well.

Definitely.  It's not just our media that de-emphasizes the value of human life and desensitizes the act of taking a life, but our weapons do also, along with our very language.  The more you can separate the act from the thought, the easier it is to do.