topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Snap DB  (Read 199396 times)

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Snap DB
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 06:22 PM »

:: Double clicking in an empty row opened the 'add record' dialogue (whereas currently it opens the 'edit record' dialogue
:: There was the possibility to use a basic 'add and total' formula for any figures entered in a column

Both added in the latest build.  Please let me know if that's what you had in mind.

Love the 'click to add new record' - works well!

I think I was probably looking for something different with the formula thing - just a way to total all figures that might appear in a single column (e.g., 4+5+6+7+4 = 26). That way I could total up time spent on a task for instance, or quoted prices etc.

Could probably find some uses for this!
 :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2011, 06:28 PM »
I think I was probably looking for something different with the formula thing - just a way to total all figures that might appear in a single column (e.g., 4+5+6+7+4 = 26). That way I could total up time spent on a task for instance, or quoted prices etc.

Hmmm...did you see the "Sum column" option when you right-click a column's header?  That will pop up a message box with the total of any numbers in the column.  Is that not what you wanted?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2011, 06:29 PM »
I'm almost positive this is either a listview bug or a bug with how AutoHotkey handles the listview.

I seem to recall that being a ListView control quirk - Ran into it once before - The rows are indexed independently of the columns.

Maybe temporarily create a second ListView with the updated (new) column arangement, and then stream the data into it before deleting the old control.

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2011, 06:34 PM »

Hmmm...did you see the "Sum column" option when you right-click a column's header?  That will pop up a message box with the total of any numbers in the column.  Is that not what you wanted?

No - I missed it completely! But now I have seen it! Is there a way that instead of the total popping up in a window it can be inserted into a cell at the bottom of column in question - perhaps beneath a divider line or something? That would make it perfect for what I need!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2011, 06:37 PM »
Maybe temporarily create a second ListView with the updated (new) column arangement, and then stream the data into it before deleting the old control.

I took the easy (lazy?) way out and now only allow the appending of a new column to the end.  Once appended, the user can drag the new column wherever they want.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2011, 08:56 AM »
No - I missed it completely! But now I have seen it! Is there a way that instead of the total popping up in a window it can be inserted into a cell at the bottom of column in question - perhaps beneath a divider line or something? That would make it perfect for what I need!

My hesitation is that I didn't intend for Snap DB to become a spreadsheet at all.  I mean, it's trivial to do what you want but then that summation line becomes part of the database information and its data would then be used in further calculations unless you were to delete that line.  It just seems a bit kludgy.  Does that make sense? 

TalksToPCs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Suggestion: An option to close the 'Add record' dialogue by clicking the Enter key (like it works in most apps).

Hi,

Great app!

I second Nikita's suggestion.
Though what I mean is that when I have selected a row, I'd like to edit it after hitting Enter.
I hate double clicking due to RSI.

I'd like to be able to duplicate a row, too.
The way I'm using it, I have lots of similar entries that need to be manually entered (or via a few snippets that I have created for this purpose).

TTP

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2011, 12:30 PM »

My hesitation is that I didn't intend for Snap DB to become a spreadsheet at all.  I mean, it's trivial to do what you want but then that summation line becomes part of the database information and its data would then be used in further calculations unless you were to delete that line.  It just seems a bit kludgy.  Does that make sense? 

Hi,
I totally accept your point. I was thinking that being able to display the total would make it ideal as a 'time logger' for a University course I am doing - I have to declare personal study time - and this would make it near perfect. Currently I use a spreadsheet which is OTT for what I need, and not portable either. My suggestion was more a personal whim and I don't want to drag you away from your overall goal for the project.  :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2011, 02:32 PM »
a 'time logger' for a University course I am doing
With a little ingenuity you might be able to use skwire's Bestimate for this. Worth a look here's a link.

Merrylic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 05:26 AM »
Looks interesting. I will definitely check it out. Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2011, 11:43 AM »
I second Nikita's suggestion.
Though what I mean is that when I have selected a row, I'd like to edit it after hitting Enter.
I hate double clicking due to RSI.

I've implemented this in the next build with F2 as the hotkey (instead of Enter).

The way I'm using it, I have lots of similar entries that need to be manually entered (or via a few snippets that I have created for this purpose).

Can do.  Would you want the duplicated row added to the bottom of the listview or directly below the row you're duplicating?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Website | Download
v1.1.1 - 2011-01-14
    + Added an "Edit record" menu item.  Also, the F2 hotkey will invoke this.  (Thanks, Nikita)
    + Added a "Duplicate record" menu item.  Also, the F5 hotkey will invoke this.  (Thanks, TalksToPCs)

alexsan01

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2011, 10:04 AM »
I found this weird bug. When I right click the header of the ninth column, I don't have the option to "rename column", instead I got the "Add record.." context menu.

Also, it could be a good idea to have the option to use the first row as column headers when you import from a CSV file.

Thank you for the lastest updates.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2011, 10:10 AM »
I found this weird bug. When I right click the header of the ninth column, I don't have the option to "rename column", instead I got the "Add record.." context menu.

I've seen this occasionally.  Try resizing the columns or swapping positions and back.

Also, it could be a good idea to have the option to use the first row as column headers when you import from a CSV file.

I thought about making this an option since not all CSV files have the headers as their first row.

Thank you for the lastest updates.

You're welcome.  =]

TalksToPCs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2011, 08:56 AM »

I've implemented this in the next build with F2 as the hotkey (instead of Enter).

Great, thanks!

Can do.  Would you want the duplicated row added to the bottom of the listview or directly below the row you're duplicating?

I haven't really thought about it. From the point of view of my needs, either solution seems fine.

Thanks, I like Snap DB even more now!

TTP

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2011, 09:06 AM »

I haven't really thought about it. From the point of view of my needs, either solution seems fine.

I added that feature in the last build.  It adds the duplicated record below the focused one.  You can also use F5 as a hotkey for that.   :)

Thanks, I like Snap DB even more now!

Fantastic.  I'm glad you find it useful.   :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2011, 07:17 AM »
One other confusing behavior, was the programs reaction to drag-n-droping a .csv file in the client window. While it appeared to (be trying to) process the file, the result was a blank ListView. Could a .csv/.tsv file drop be made to trigger an import?

Fixed and added in the above build.   :D  Lots of improvements to the CSV/TSV/TXT import routines.  Please let me know if the functionality is what you had in mind.

(Sorry it took me awhile to make it back here) Yes, perfect ... The dynamic column creation is also quite nice. Thank you.

Is there any chance of adding an option to the import function to allow the (header row) first line of the file to be used as the column names? Similar to the radio button dialog the Excel sort function uses to keep the column names on top of a spread sheet.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2011, 08:14 AM »
(Sorry it took me awhile to make it back here) Yes, perfect ... The dynamic column creation is also quite nice. Thank you.

You're welcome.  Great to hear.

Is there any chance of adding an option to the import function to allow the (header row) first line of the file to be used as the column names? Similar to the radio button dialog the Excel sort function uses to keep the column names on top of a spread sheet.

This would interfere with the ability to drop multiple files onto the list so I was thinking of adding an entry to the context menu that would read something like "Convert record data to header names."  Follow me?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:38 AM by skwire »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2011, 08:36 AM »

This would interfere with the ability to drop multiple files onto the list so I was thinking of adding an entry to the context menu that would read somthing like "Convert record data to header names."  Follow me?
[/quote]

Ouch! Yes, can't be breaking things.

The "Convert record data to header names." sounds great (and much smoother), but it might be better to add it to the Edit menu where it can be found & used, and leave the context menu free for the other stuff that people are more apt to do frequently (Keep the menu less busy so they don't have to hunt for stuff).

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2011, 08:45 AM »
The "Convert record data to header names." sounds great (and much smoother), but it might be better to add it to the Edit menu where it can be found & used, and leave the context menu free for the other stuff that people are more apt to do frequently (Keep the menu less busy so they don't have to hunt for stuff).

Well, the Edit menu and the context menu (right-clicking the listview) are the same menu.    :D  It's almost to the unwieldy point but I think we can squeeze one more entry onto it.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2011, 11:46 AM »

SnapDB is great!  It's now much easier for me using it to get some lists into csv format than I was doing before.

Something I've noticed though...

I took the easy (lazy?) way out and now only allow the appending of a new column to the end.  Once appended, the user can drag the new column wherever they want.

I appended two columns, renamed each and drug them to the left between two existing columns.  When I exported to a csv and brought them up in Excel, the appended columns were still on the right side.  Not where I moved them to.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2011, 01:12 PM »
I appended two columns, renamed each and drug them to the left between two existing columns.  When I exported to a csv and brought them up in Excel, the appended columns were still on the right side.  Not where I moved them to.

I can confirm this behavior (using a plain text editor), the data is being saved based in the (column created or) row index order, not the order in which it is displayed. IIRC this is also typical ListView control behavior.

I'm thinking there is a function call/API to reindex the rows in a ListView control, but I can't think of it at the moment.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2011, 12:27 PM »
SnapDB is great!  It's now much easier for me using it to get some lists into csv format than I was doing before.

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm glad you find it useful.

Should be fixed in the most recent build.  Please test and let me know.  Thanks.

IIRC this is also typical ListView control behavior.
I'm thinking there is a function call/API to reindex the rows in a ListView control, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Yes, it's typical listview behaviour but I was able to manually get around it.

The "Convert record data to header names." sounds great (and much smoother)

Added in the latest build.

Website | Download
v1.1.2 - 2011-01-22
    + Column orders are now saved per database.
    + "Convert row data to header names" added to the Edit menu.  This is useful after importing a CSV file.
    * CSV exports should be more adherent to the CSV standard with regards to double-quotes and commas within the data bits.
    ! The column order for CSV exports didn't match up with the listview column order.  (Thanks, bob99)

DeVamp

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Let the coding begin :-)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2011, 05:21 AM »
Lovely piece of software again Skwire!  :-*  :up:

Would the following be possible:
(I haven't read the whole topic in detail, only a quick read)

If i create a new file (ctrl+n) and I don't change anything, and i drop a csv on it, could it be possible that you check the number of columns from the first row, and then create the exact number of columns and then add the data.

Because what happens now is the following:
I create a new file, and I get 4 columns.
When I drop a CSV on it with 7 columns, I end up with all the records with only 5 columns.

Here's the testdata:

Started On,Completed,Computer,Status,Total files,Infected,Scan Type
6/4/2008 3:17:53 PM,6/4/2008 3:40:09 PM,MYPC,Scan Complete,102660,0,Manual scan
6/4/2008 3:02:28 PM,6/4/2008 3:14:14 PM,MYPC,Scan Aborted,76046,0,Manual scan
6/3/2008 9:03:35 PM,6/3/2008 9:19:14 PM,MYPC,Scan Complete,99824,0,Manual scan

Oh, and could it be possible to define the "separator" per database?
So when I create a new database, I define ',' or ';' as separator. When I then drop a scv on it, it uses the configured separator.

One more thing (probably a bug):
If I drop a scv on it, the status doesn't change to "edited", so when I close snapdb, it doesn't save the data from the scv. :'(

Thanks. :-)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Lovely piece of software again Skwire!  :-*  :up:

Thanks.  =]

Because what happens now is the following:
I create a new file, and I get 4 columns.
When I drop a CSV on it with 7 columns, I end up with all the records with only 5 columns.

The sixth and seventh columns are actually there.  Just scroll to the right.  In the build you have, the fifth column gets auto-justified for some reason.  However, this issue has been fixed in my dev build.

Oh, and could it be possible to define the "separator" per database?
So when I create a new database, I define ',' or ';' as separator. When I then drop a scv on it, it uses the configured separator.

Any reason for this?  Is there some shortcoming to the CSV format?

One more thing (probably a bug):
If I drop a scv on it, the status doesn't change to "edited", so when I close snapdb, it doesn't save the data from the scv. :'(

This has also been addressed in my dev build.  I'm waiting on Gothi[c] to finish the member server move before uploading it.