Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 02, 2014, 09:21:05 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your software β€” screencasting β€” why do it?  (Read 1822 times)
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 15, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »

Smashing Magazine has a decent, short, and common-sensical article about screencasting. It covers some do's and dont's and points out why a good screencast can be more important to your project than you might think. It's a five-minute read, tops.

http://www.smashingmagazi...istakes-in-screencasting/

Chris
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 04:36:53 PM »

nice find and very timely  thumbs up
Apathetic_Coding
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »

Nice article. looks like I need to go back and rerecord some of mine for sure.
EΓ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:48:02 PM »

Am I the only person who hates screencasts and finds them to be almost the worst possible way to make tutorials or even put together a demo? Like tutorials in a game, I find them terribly ineffective for teaching.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »

Am I the only person who hates screencasts and finds them to be almost the worst possible way to make tutorials or even put together a demo? Like tutorials in a game, I find them terribly ineffective for teaching.

They're useful for some people. I don't think they should replace documentation though, and I think they really should be accompanied by the script.

Some very good advice in there though.

Still, I think a lot of people really don't understand the massive workload it takes to get a good screencast done. It's a TONNE of work. (As in metric tonne because it's bigger. smiley )

The audio alone is extremely difficult. Not many people will go to a professional recording studio to have it done though. And if you don't, you need good tools to work with the audio, and not just some 2-bit audio editor.

Timing is the most important thing, so you need to have a good video editor.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.032s | Server load: 0.04 ]