topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Liquid Story Binder: Excellent  (Read 14287 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Liquid Story Binder: Excellent
« on: December 09, 2010, 06:26 PM »
I know I use this board to rant a lot, but I thought I would give a nice compliment to Liquid Story Binder:
http://www.blackobel...tware.com/index.html

This is not a mini-review or anything.  I've been continually impressed with this software for the past couple of years.  I haven't really used it much, but I like just poking around in it and checking things out.  I do plan on using it more next year.  The program itself might have a weird feel to it, in that the interface is pretty modular (lots of windows inside the main window), but it works for its intended purpose.  He's very user friendly: there's a portable version, and the license is a true lifetime license.  I plan on writing more stories next year, and I may end up using this to do so.  I just love it when developers do things the right way and in a customer-friendly way.  I hope he is able to make a good living doing this.

Oh, I just noticed, he is having a 50% off sale currently.  Great deal.  If you plan to write ever in the future I would take advantage of this just in case.  It's only $20 and he seems to be a good dude.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:27 PM by superboyac »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Liquid Story Binder: Excellent
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:43 AM »
Oh, I just noticed, he is having a 50% off sale currently.  Great deal.  If you plan to write ever in the future I would take advantage of this just in case.  It's only $20 and he seems to be a good dude.

Sounds tempting
for NaMoWriMo month, which was november - so dont know how long it will last..

Do you know is it more aimed at writing novels?
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 07:04 AM »
Hey SB! Thanks for the find!

I used to own a copy of LSB some time ago. I got it as a free one-day promo from the GOTD website. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the license was only for that version. So when I innocently upgraded it to the new edition that came out a few weeks later, I lost the free license. I hadn't used it all that much at that point (only two very rough first drafts) so it wasn't a major issue. I just grabbed the files I created, went back to using WriteMonkey and MS Word, and tried to stay organized.

I did keep meaning to order LSB however. But somehow...I never quite got around to doing it.

Until today. :Thmbsup:

Just goes to show that procrastination pays!

Or at least it did this time...;D

-----
@tomos

It's geared towards writing in a general sense although there are plenty of tools a fiction writer will appreciate. But it should also work equally well for a picture book, a piece of non-fiction, or a magazine article.

It's basically a sophisticated file manager/organizer that provides a collection tools you can group into functional 'workspaces' to assist in creative and organizational tasks. Each workspace can have more than one tool open. And you can customize and save workspaces as needed. I like to think of it as a writing desk on steroids.

Here's the drop-down menu of tools to give you an idea of the functions they provide:

LSBTools.png

Some screenshots of tools and workspaces:

LSB00.pngLiquid Story Binder: Excellent   LSB01.pngLiquid Story Binder: Excellent   LSB02.pngLiquid Story Binder: Excellent  

LSB03Timeline.pngLiquid Story Binder: Excellent   LSB04Journal.pngLiquid Story Binder: Excellent   LSB05Gallery.pngLiquid Story Binder: Excellent

It's a very flexible arrangement. All the tools use floating windows. So your workspace can be set up with as much or as little "stuff" as you like. Macintosh and AdobeCS users will feel right at home.

Need to have a clean space in order to write? More creative with a cluttered desk? LSB lets you work either way.

Some things I really like about it:

• It doesn't use a database, or proprietary file formats.
    All files are stored in standard Windows directories. And your files are saved in RTF format for maximum compatibility with other software.

• It's pretty!
    Appearance is very important to me. Especially when it comes to anything I'll be staring at for hours at a time.

• Flexibility
    Unlike some other software (i.e. Save the Cat, DramaticaPro, etc.) LSB doesn't require...or "strongly suggest"  :-\ any particular 'method' of writing.  You can use as much or as little of the feature set as you like. And you can use the tools in any order - or combination. I'm normally a very organized and focused writer. But there are times when I just want to start writing and see where it takes me. LSB can accommodate either mood.

• Fair & sane licensing terms.
    The software is licensed to you - not your machine. You can load and register it on as many machines as you like with the understanding that only you should be using it. Registration is via a simple cut & paste text key that doesn't require an online connection. No hokey "genuine advantage" type nonsense down the road either.

You can always try the full package for free for 30 non-consecutive days to see if it works for you. Doesn't get any fairer than that.  :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:29 AM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 07:30 AM »
thanks for the indepth description mr40 :up:

also came acoss another complinemtary thread with some more info about it:
COMPLIMENT: Liquid Story Binder XE - Black Obelisk Software
Tom

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 08:30 AM »
I used to own a copy of LSB some time ago. I got it as a free one-day promo from the GOTD website. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the license was only for that version. So when I innocently upgraded it to the new edition that came out a few weeks later, I lost the free license.

Actually, iirc, the GOTD promo also gave a lifetime license. He changed the license code system soon after and you had to send an email to get a new code. Really good guy and deserves the support from people buying the prog.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 08:36 AM »
Allso left out one other thing I really like about LSB: documentation!

It has a MANUAL!!! (Does anybody remember how software always used to come with a manual?) I thought I was either hallucinating or had fallen into a timewarp.

And it's in PDF format so you can print it out too!

Man, I am really starting to love this guy...

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:18 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 09:17 AM »
I used to own a copy of LSB some time ago. I got it as a free one-day promo from the GOTD website. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the license was only for that version. So when I innocently upgraded it to the new edition that came out a few weeks later, I lost the free license.

Actually, iirc, the GOTD promo also gave a lifetime license. He changed the license code system soon after and you had to send an email to get a new code. Really good guy and deserves the support from people buying the prog.

As far as I know, all of his license are lifetime... just as dormouse said, you have to e-mail him if there is a problem.  There is also an active yahoo group that he frequents.  As dormouse said, a really good guy, and one I don't mind supporting at all.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 09:25 AM »
@Dormouse/wraith808 - thx for that info! :)  But I went and bought a new license anyway. Which is only fair. I intend to get some serious use out of this package in the coming year. And every developer deserves the support of those that use their products.

I just migrated something I'm working on over to it as we speak. Already liking this app very much! :)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:19 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Nice summary, 40hz.  Of course you would like the program, I should have known!

The program is sold as a novel writing software, but I think it's pretty helpful for any kind of story writing.  Fiction, nonfiction, comic books.  Heck, even screenplays, except for the particular formatting requirements which other programs do.  I've dabbled in screenwriting a little bit, and LSB could be used to structure the meat of your story before having to format properly using FinalDraft or something like that.

But like 40hz said, you only have to use the modules you like, you obviously don't have to use everything.  What's great is that all of your story ideas will be in one location, with non proprietary formats, and very easy to backup and transfer between computers.

I was thinking that LSB doesn't really do anything that I couldn't setup InfoQube to do (or some other data management software).  But like 40hz said, it's the interface that is helpful.  All the modules are specially designed to help with that particular function, and it's very pretty and fun to use.

Ok, now it's turning into a mini review.  Back to studying!!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 03:12 PM »
The program is sold as a novel writing software, but I think it's pretty helpful for any kind of story writing.  Fiction, nonfiction, comic books.

Actually, what I'm using it for right now is to help a friend rough out a Steampunk game concept he's in the process of designing. He took one look and decided to score his own registered copy of LSB. So now all we'll need to do is throw the files up on DropBox and we are set to rock... (Bring it on, bring it on, bring it ON!)

LSB should be great for keeping track of all the assets and snippets and story themes and dossiers and yadda-yadda... that usually wind up on Post-It notes all over the walls, the floor, and (sometimes) the ceiling when you do this sort of thing. (Think Artie in Warehouse 13 with that glass wall he's always consulting - except we're nowhere near that furry or fat, thank god!)

artie.jpg

I'm also seriously thinking about using the mind map function for level design since it looks and works like a balloon map anyway. Have to set it up as a separate file of course. Or maybe not. Hmmm...

Oh well, that's for the weekend.  8)

Now to finish-up these Win2k3 server scripts for my paying client...<*yawn*>

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 03:20 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Think Artie in Warehouse 13
[superboyac quietly queues up Warehouse 13...]

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 04:13 PM »
Think Artie in Warehouse 13
[superboyac quietly queues up Warehouse 13...]

Check out the characters played by JoAnn Kelly, Jamie Murray, Genelle Williams and Allison Scagliotti while you're there. Enough variety to suit every taste.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

(Not too hard on the eyes either.  ;) )

Hollywood & Television studios take heed! Finally a show where ALL the female characters are intelligent, complex, and strong.

It works.

Do more of that.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:18 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 05:19 PM »
mmm...that Joanne Kelly with the wavy hair...that's amazing.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 06:02 PM »
^ Amazing what Canada can produce isn't it? A truly classic (and classy) brunette if there ever was one.

(Even my GF Alexis agrees Ms. Kelly is stunning.  ;D)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Hey ho.  Another day, another software license.  No wonder there's so much month left at the end of the money.

And my name's not even Mike...   ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 10:54 AM »
+1  ;D :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 02:27 PM »
 :huh: don't get that one!  Who's Mike?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 03:10 PM »
:huh: don't get that one!  Who's Mike?

aka Darwin   :)

Poor Darwin - he gets some stick over this, and it's not as if he's the only one!   :D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:49 PM by rjbull »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 08:57 AM »
:huh: don't get that one!  Who's Mike?

aka Darwin   :)

Poor Darwin - he gets some stick over this, and it's not as if he's the only one!   :D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 07:45 AM »
Re: Your most used SPECIAL programs

Speaking of "special", I see that Liquid Story Binder (mentioned somewhere above) is discounted on Bits Du Jour for today (19 Jan. 2011) only.

$15.95 instead of $45.95

http://www.bitsdujou...liquid-story-binder/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 06:54 AM »
Liquid Story Binder XE has not been updated for more than a year, which is very unusual, so development may have stopped. For some time I was subscribing to the connected Yahoo! newsgroup, but updates were so frequently that I gave up! I am a slow learner, and when I thought I was just about to know how to use the program, it was always updated with new features etcetera! Well, there are apparently no more updates, so now I just might get to understand how to use this fantastic but complex program! ;-)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am really posting to inform that Bits du Jour now has a fixed offer for the program,
making it $25 instead of $46: http://www.bitsdujou.../liquid-story-binder

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2012-04-29_133954.gif

Remember to STUDY the tutorials: http://www.blackobel...e.com/tutorials.html
 :up:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:03 AM by Curt »