topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Special Edition Newsletter for December 3rd, 2010 - "NANY EVE"  (Read 31650 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Special Edition Newsletter for December 3rd, 2010
"NANY EVE"

1. Special Edition Newsletter NANY EVE 2011

Four years ago at DonationCoder.com we tried an experiment where we invited programmers who hang out at the site to release a brand new freeware utility to share with the world, to be released on the first day of the new year.

Dubbed NANY (New Apps for the New Year), this experiment has become a yearly tradition on the site, and represents the playful and generous spirit of the site and the people who visit it.  The event celebrates the joy of programming and is open to coders of any ability, whether they are regular members of the site or not.  All participants receive a mug featuring our beloved bird/duck mascot Cody -- there are no winners or losers.

This year we are broadening the event, reducing the complexity and rules whilst providing the same encouragement to software authors of all types and backgrounds to successfully complete the NANY 2011 challenge. You can form a team to work on the one project, you can re-write one of your old applications, publish an online web service script, you can write a plug-in for another program: you can almost do whatever you like as long as it's new, yours and free.

I hope you will join us in celebrating this year's NANY event, by stopping by and saying hello and checking out the new programs.

And if you are a programmer, stop by and pledge to release a new program -- you still have 30 days left to code something!!

You can read more about the NANY event here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=22721.0

-Mouser

2. Official Status Update from Perry Mowbray

This year, like last year, we are lucky to have DC member Perry Mowbray volunteering his time to help organize the NANY entries and coordinate the event.  What follows is Perry's summary of the state of the NANY submissions as of December 2nd:

To date we've had 27 Pledges (in alphabetical order):

3. Teasers: Feedback Required

Teasers are a way for the NANY Entrants to give prospective users the opportunity to play with an early build and hopefully get some valuable feedback for the development.
  • WhirlyWord - cross-platform puzzle game
    A small Java puzzler
  • Help ecaradec decide which app to code
    Ecaradec has posted a poll to help determine what should be done for this year's event!
  • Cautomaton
    Automating actions that are hidden away in the context menu of a file.
  • List Numberer
    Quickly number a text list in various ways.
  • Ten Timer
    Ten, easy-to-use timers in one window.
  • Webcam Diary
    Mouser decided on this application based on a Poll -- now he's asking for feedback on what features users want in a Webcam Recording/Diary Utility. Now is the perfect opportunity to get in on the ground floor of this application's development!
  • DCDisplay
    DCDisplay will be a replacement for CDisplay (which hasn't been worked on for years).
  • Scion Character Manager
    An electronic character sheet for a RPG called Scion that tracks character stats, calculates dice pools for all the basic actions, and allows the user to add their own actions, weapons, purviews, knacks, and rules that get auto calculated.
  • TaskDaddy
    TaskDaddy takes a single line of input from you and turns it into an Outlook task without having to open the full interface of Outlook. It's intended to be a quick way to input tasks. It is inspired by Bob Menke's Add Task script, written in VBScript. It works as both a GUI and a command line tool. DaddyDave also has a Features Poll to get user feedback on Future / Missing features.
  • NetLaunch (Now with GUI!)
    Netlaunch is a program to launch applications based on Network status.   It functions in both Agent (GUI) and command-line form.
  • Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
    Auspex will present the busy PC user with several enhanced input features: Replacements, Completions, Corrections, Runs and the Big Clipper.
  • ContactFX 0.0.2.0
    A versatile Addressbook and Contacts editor with FARR integration.

4. Are you a Coder just itching to get in on the act?

We've had specific requests for an enterprising entrant who's keen to fulfil someone else's dream. If you're keen to participate but are looking for an idea why not check these out and contact the author for more details?

5. Volunteers

Anyone can get involved with the NANY event by offering their talents to the hard working entrants to help with the ancillary aspects of their entries. Volunteering on NANY projects is a great way for everyone to get involved with the Event, coders and non-coders alike!

We also have some great tools to give-away to help you get the job done:

Add your name to the list and get involved over in this thread: NANY 2011 :: Calling All Volunteers and Entrants wanting a hand

If you can help with the following specific requests please get in touch with the Entrant directly (and let me know if you want to take advantage of the software give-away):

6. Final Words
I am again amazed at the talent and generosity and of DC's very own nudone who has again contributed this year's NANY Image:
nany-2011-mug-01-small.png

This is the image that will be put onto the very special, rare and sought after NANY Mugs that will be awarded to all successful NANY Entrants (If you're a coder that's just gone green.. there's still time to enter your Pledge and submit your Entry before the New Year).

It's wonderful to see the NANY Board grow and flourish with this year's Pledges, Teasers and Releases! NANY is a unique event where the generosity and skill of our coders is balanced by the enthusiasm and support of our members, which is what makes this celebratory event so special: Thank you to all the coders and users alike who continue to contribute to make this such a special community event.

-Perry Mowbray
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 07:36 AM by mouser »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Special Edition Newsletter for December 3rd, 2010 - "NANY EVE"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 01:30 PM »

wow is all I can say,
wow to nudone's nany image wow
did I say wow :p :)
Tom
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:31 PM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 01:33 PM »
there's some great unused ideas too (thanks as ever for the updates)

4. Are you a Coder just itching to get in on the act?[/b]

We've had specific requests for an enterprising entrant who's keen to fulfil someone else's dream. If you're keen to participate but are looking for an idea why not check these out and contact the author for more details?
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 01:34 PM »
Some people prefer the traditional NANY mug design.. that will be available as an alternative:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:41 PM »
Some people prefer the traditional NANY mug design.. that will be available as an alternative:

I love that one as well :-*
the new one would look really great as a wall poster (I wonder would he make a wallpaper version of the image..)

[edit] removed image [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:16 PM by tomos »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 06:23 AM »

:o You of course mean this one:
nanymug2011A1_small.png

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 07:56 AM »
Wow! That Cody time machine is something else!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 03:50 PM »
I'd like to beg and plead that anyone who is a member of another site where a programmer or two might hang out, or is in contact with someone who is a member of such a site, or knows of such a site, PLEASE let them know about the NANY event and the end-of-year deadline.

The more participants the better!

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 12:24 PM »
I hope to get few new faces in this year's NANY for interview.

miva2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I really like looking around here and checking out the newest programs.
Good luck to all participants and thanks to mouser, Perry Mowbray and everyone else for making this possible.
I've shown this to some fellow programmers, hopefully they'll put something cool up :) if not this year, then next year.
Unfortunately I've not found the time (and necessary skills) to make a usable program. Reading this makes me want to work harder :)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I really like looking around here and checking out the newest programs.
Good luck to all participants and thanks to mouser, Perry Mowbray and everyone else for making this possible.
I've shown this to some fellow programmers, hopefully they'll put something cool up :) if not this year, then next year.
Unfortunately I've not found the time (and necessary skills) to make a usable program. Reading this makes me want to work harder :)

I like comments like this - at some point I hope that NANY apps will appear that are results of a lot more collaboration where maybe miva2 and some others will get together and create a masterpiece  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:40 PM by timns »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 08:47 PM »
I like comments like this - at some point I hope that NANY apps will appear that are results of a lot more collaboration where maybe miva2 and some others will get together and create a masterpiece  :Thmbsup:

Yes, that's been one of my dreams for NANY for a couple of years now...

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 07:47 AM »
at some point I hope that NANY apps will appear that are results of a lot more collaboration where maybe miva2 and some others will get together and create a masterpiece

+1, definitely!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 09:20 AM »
I'm gonna start with the thinking over the holiday, and see if there are any Big Ideas bubbling around in there. The DC skillset must encompass every aspect of even the largest project I reckon.