Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 23, 2014, 11:27:34 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which Desktop Search Tool(s) do you use? (Choose up to 2)
Google Desktop Search - 15 (7.1%)
Copernic Desktop Search - 35 (16.7%)
MSN Windows Desktop Search - 14 (6.7%)
Yahoo Desktop Search - 3 (1.4%)
X1 Desktop Search - 18 (8.6%)
Locate - 39 (18.6%)
Archivarius - 13 (6.2%)
other... - 45 (21.4%)
none / no comment - 28 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 172

Pages: Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 32 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is the currently best Desktop Search software?  (Read 274209 times)
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #375 on: June 07, 2008, 02:34:34 AM »

That's because I use the original english spelling not the butchered, "americanized" version of the english language  cheesy

nice reply 4WD, but really, there's no need to get snobby about english/english spelling tongue

Tom
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #376 on: June 07, 2008, 03:09:51 AM »

I am happy for you, 4WD, and I wish my XP machine was optimised too. However, it is not, not even optimized. Yes, I enjoy watching Top Gear, but I am aware that they are referring to themselves, and are always being spoken of by others, as boys, never as men. Of course the Jag went faster, but it was no longer a limousine (it never was, but you know what I mean).

Edited:

Did any of you guys try the new Windows Search 4 package?  tellme
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157#top
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 03:19:36 AM by Curt » Logged
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #377 on: June 07, 2008, 07:54:56 AM »

Yes I did try WDS 4, Curt. The services were RAM and CPU hungry (though it should be noted it is still only a Preview) and the file previewing feature was slooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww to load and, in the case of Office docs, actually loaded the office application in the background, along with any applications set to open with them (Endnote in my case, with Word). These processes then stay running - so I'd find Excel running in the background with 144MB of RAM being consumed.

Didn't last long as I discovered X1 had solved most of the problems I had with it a year ago...

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #378 on: June 07, 2008, 08:19:31 AM »

That's because I use the original english spelling not the butchered, "americanized" version of the english language  cheesy

nice reply 4WD, but really, there's no need to get snobby about english/english spelling tongue
Snobby?! Me?! Never?!

We Australians don't care about such things to become snobby  Cool

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
xcity
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #379 on: June 07, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »

Picking up favorite desktop search is depending on you tasks expected from these desktop search software. As for me, email search is *MUST HAVE* task, file search is a plus but not have.

I finally picked up X1, after I tried copernic, WDS, GDS and others.

Copernic is the best in interface I think, it can break results into several categories, and it's beautiful. but as I said in early, its email search is just entry level. It can search, but gives you less capabilities to deal with searched items. For example, if you want to delete all the searched result, you have to do it one by one.

WDS is better in email handling, but it's tooooo slow. It slow down every things in my computer, I have to give it up.

GDS, oh, how I can say about it. It doesn't give you the opinion to choice folders in my outlook. I have 2000+ emails in delete folder, GDS just continue to index it without asking.

X1 is not as beauty as others in terms of interface, but it did get job done. In terms of email search, it's far better than any other desktop search application.

Except email search, I really don't think desktop search software is useful. If you want to locate a files, locate is good enough.

Dan
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #380 on: June 07, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »

Desktop Search software is useful for me, at any rate. I have 20 GB of pdf files (ie thousands of them, some are over 1000 pages long), all academic journal articles and masters and PhD theses and dissertations. Often I am after a bit of content - all pdfs that mention and discuss some arcane term like "microstratigraphy" or "olecranon process" or "HLA" - and desktop search is the only way to to this, short of opening each pdf up and reading through it...

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2008, 12:45:26 PM »

short of opening each pdf up and reading through it...

You young people have no idea how lucky you are. When I was your age we had to read them ourselves. Forwards AND backwards. We had to TURN PAGES. We even had to stack them outside which meant retrieving them from the yard with 12 feet of snow in freezing temperatures at night with a candle.   tongue

Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #382 on: June 07, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »

So... do you have a tin ear trumpet to go along with the tin jaw then?

Grin

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2008, 02:29:18 PM »

We had to TURN PAGES. We even had to stack them outside
Pages?  PAGES?  Why, when I was a lad they were incised on stone tablets! 
Try stacking those in the yard at 40C below, having carried them uphill with bare feet. 
Holy Moses!

Chris
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #384 on: June 07, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »

Why, when I was a lad they were incised on stone tablets!

Shouldn't that be "When I were a lad..."?

kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #385 on: June 07, 2008, 10:04:06 PM »

My main problem with WDS is that it does not support thunderbird at all.

WDS is better in email handling, but it's tooooo slow. It slow down every things in my computer, I have to give it up.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #386 on: June 07, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »

Why, when I was a lad they were incised on stone tablets!

Shouldn't that be "When I were a lad..."?

Only for those born in 1948 Wink

Chris
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #387 on: June 08, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »

New version of FileLocator Pro is out (v. 4.5) - it's MUCH quicker in searching file names - 2 seconds to search 85 67 GB and find 491 hits.  Thmbsup

SearchGT did the same search in 5.7 seconds and returned 489 hits.

Right, off to do a file content search with FL Pro...

Well... content search has been running for 13 minutes and is at 4% done  ohmy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 10:50:51 AM by Darwin » Logged

Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #388 on: June 08, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »

- compare versions:

I am impressed!  thumbs up

$30
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #389 on: June 08, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »

Me too, Curt, me too!

Note: I left the file content search running and it took 2 hours 26 minutes and 25 seconds to complete  ohmy

4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #390 on: June 08, 2008, 10:32:41 PM »

My main problem with WDS is that it does not support thunderbird at all.

Thunderbird uses plain text to store emails, (mbox format), any decent search software that can do a text search within files will work.

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #391 on: June 08, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »

Sure, I can use grep to search emails. But it just does not look nice and hard to deal with visually. Unless I am desperate I would not use WDS or grep to search my emails.

Also WDS does not even support outlook express contacts which is a shame. I have just  checked v4 format list and Outlookm express .wab format was not listed there.

Shades

« Reply #392 on: June 09, 2008, 12:23:06 AM »

For mail my preference lies with Mailstore (http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=12851.0). It will give you a lot of (fast) search capabilities for all your mail, it will convert those mail messages to any format you like and it can backup and retrieve messages directly from CD.

For most other data my GREP tools do a more than adequate job.  smiley

My problem is searching through my boat load of Office documents. Currently my method of searching those consists of converting whenever possible to PDF and using Foxit Reader to search through them all.

In short, I like to use specialized tools not generic search software (I like my computer to be just as lazy as me...about indexing I mean)  cheesy

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:25:44 AM by Shades » Logged
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #393 on: June 09, 2008, 03:46:58 AM »

Windows Desktop Search Thunderbird  maybe these work for you?

Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2008, 11:44:23 AM »

I'm running all three on a notebook with a 120GB harddrive... The indices combined total about 3GB - the largest being Archivarius at about 2GB with dtSearch weighing in at 580MB and X1 at 472MB... I still have about 20 GB free so am not worried.

Oh, I thought the indexes were FAR bigger.

Just an update: Archivarius has been updated to version 4.05. This is noteworthy because my index has been optimized and now sits at a hair over 1GB instead of 2  Thmbsup

kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #395 on: June 09, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »

I tried that with wds before and it did not work. I would doubt that it would work with wds 4 either.

Windows Desktop Search Thunderbird  maybe these work for you?
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #396 on: June 09, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »

Just an update: Archivarius has been updated to version 4.05. This is noteworthy because my index has been optimized and now sits at a hair over 1GB instead of 2  Thmbsup
wow, that's a pretty big change... Thanks for the info Darwin.

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #397 on: June 09, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »

wow, that's a pretty big change... Thanks for the info Darwin.

I compressed it afterward and it's down to 925MB  smiley

tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #398 on: June 10, 2008, 12:26:30 PM »

TODAY on Giveaway of the day, they have NetSearch. A product I haven't heard of before. Allows searching files on every computer on a LAN that has the client installed. Has anybody taken a look at this?

I am having a problem getting there from work. I will have to wait until I get home.

Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #399 on: June 16, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »

So... anyone given this a got yet? I just received the Iconico newsletter announcing this and I'm intrigued... just not enough to install it at the moment (see below for "why")  Grin

We're happy to announce the release of LookDisk. I know I've been frustrated by the regular search that comes standard with Windows, and once I've turned off the little animated character that comes with it i'm often left wanting more. With LookDisk you get all the advanced searching capabilites that you've wanted.

LookDisk is excellent at finding duplicate files, searching for files and finding text in files. Being able to specify multiple places to search in is a real timesaver, and the results grid has some powerful options that you can access by right clicking a file. You can easily select file groups based on your own parameters.

The software is available on trial download and can be purchased for $29.50. Feel free to download and give it a test run.

I *just* finished removing 60+ applications from my computer, so am in no hurry to add anything to the mix (Archivarius is gone, sniff - I wasn't using it anymore and dtSearch makes it a SNAP to search other computers on my network. X1 is handling my local needs).

Pages: Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 32 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.057s | Server load: 0.07 ]