topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Organizing code written by oneself and others downloaded from elsewhere  (Read 4942 times)

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I need some advise/tips on organizing one's source code. Since so many of you are developers here I wanted to know how you guys manage your code as well. (A code library with low overhead I guess).
I am taking this step now, as I am switching my main pc to ubuntu and wanted to reorganize my professional and personal life in terms of documents on there.

There are several key concepts that I use to think about the problem so please understand those first.

high maintainence - high feature set (versioning, quick search and indexing, rapid updates and deployment, secure offsite backups, notes/documentation)

low maintainence - low feature set (versioning, throwaway scripts, testing)

Features I wanted for my solution:

- version control (git? or something with multiple project support)
- quick search within contents (???)
- backup (dropbox? mozy? rsync? simple-backup?)
- browseable, ie. must be organized/tagged. Is there a good tagging architecture?
- maintain documentation for all scripts/programs as well (PAD? wiki? txt files with a program? dokuwiki?)

So what do you guys do? and any ideas?

/edit: other discussions similar to this (nothing exactly like this though)
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=10318.0
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=19302.0
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Organizing code written by oneself and others downloaded from elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:07 AM »
I used to use KeyNote for that, which of course wasn't optimal, because RTF isn't a good medium for code snippets (no syntax highlighting for one thing), and the search facility lags sorely behind what's become commonplace today, like instant search or filtering. Finally I gave up and I use nothing :)

The reason is that I have so much 3rd party code - in plain text files, saved html pages, FAQs, howtos, etc., help files in various formats, source code libraries, PDFs and other ebooks etc., that it's quite futile to round it all up in one place. I keep all of this in a set of well-defined folders, and use Archivarius to search through the mess. It works, but when I do need to find something, it's often faster to just use Google, unless I'm looking for something very specific in a particular Delphi library or component. In the latter case Total Commander's built in search is fast enough to scan thousands of .pas files very quickly.

For version control, I have tried Subversion/Tortoise a number of times, but it was always way too much hassle for a one-person hobby setup. It takes away too much for my liking - e.g. you can't rename, delete files or move them around in your file manager anymore, you have to go through the contortions of the right-click menu and inconvenient dialog boxes. Especially at the beginning of a project, I create, rename and rearrange the source code all the time, and doing it through SVN is a huge aggravation. I just keep multiple, versioned backups of everything, and when I feel I've reached a "milestone", I zip up whole project tree and keep a backup of that as well. Total Commander searches very quickly through zip archives as well, and that's been good enough for me.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:50 AM »
I use a combination of snipplr/snip-it pro (http://www.snipitpro.com/).  There's also http://www.snippetmanager.net/.  But I see you're moving to ubuntu... so I guess neither of these will help you.

There's also another thread here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=15376.0

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:10 PM »
so Archivarius + Total Commander + File System for Tranglos

I find myself in a similar boat, I end up mostly using the file system, naming conventions and a search engine. I was hoping to get a package that would force good habits and be an all in one package, and for something that would be portable, as I do still using windows. Does arvhivarius show formatted code?
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You mentioned you'd tried Tortoise SVN and been aggravated with its context menus and the hoops it makes you jump through.

I've found there's quite a learning curve, but that it's worth it.

You mentioned archiving a project's code when you feel you have reached a milestone. TSVN will let you do that using Export.

Good luck.