Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 26, 2014, 02:28:43 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Source code colors: Contrast / Readability / Ergonomics  (Read 17360 times)
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 09, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »

Why is it that most IDE's have a default white background with black text?

Personally it really hurts my eyes. Especially on CRT monitors. The white of a computer monitor is not like say a white paper, it is light. So especially for those of us who are coding over 8 hours a day, which is better for our eyes?
Personally I use a soft green on a black background because green is one of the colors humans perceive best. Green on black provides high contrast. I use soft green so the contrast isn't too high. Seems to work best for me. I hear yellow on blue is best for bright-lit rooms / daylight.  But black on white is overkill contrast and really bad on the eyes.

Here is an interesting page about this topic:

http://www.writer2001.com/colwebcontrast.htm
Rover
Master of Smilies
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 11:10:31 PM »

I agree.  I think the black on white was originally designed to mimic paper and make us all more comfortable with PC's.  Plus Mainframes and Terminals used Green on Black, so we *must* look different from them.

Personally, anytime I'm using an editor, terminal or anything for very long, I look to change it to ....
Green on Black.  Looks best, easiest to see and doggon.. I like it.  Thmbsup

I used to work with a guy who always used Yellow on Blue... yuck!  Cry

Insert Brilliant Sig line here
jroad
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 12:00:44 AM »

I remember back in the days of Turbo Pascal, the default scheme was yellow on blue and I really got used to it.  It was hard moving to the default black on white in Windows.  I guess I have adapted to it, but maybe I will start experimenting again with darker backgrounds when I can.
Rover
Master of Smilies
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:11:36 AM »

I remember back in the days of Turbo Pascal, the default scheme was yellow on blue and I really got used to it. 
2 quick notes:
1. I changed the color scheme in TP to Green on black.
2. I LOVED Turbo Pascal  Kiss Kiss

Insert Brilliant Sig line here
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 12:13:53 AM »

My color scheme in Turbo Pascal was usually green on blue due to excessive ASM usage cheesy
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 12:17:55 AM »

the white on green on that page looks surprisingly readable, i wouldn't have guessed that.  might have to give that a try, though i have long used black on white.

[ps. another turbo pascal/c fan here; borland's turbo language tools were amazing when they came out for the pc - they must have raised a generation of programmers.  i can still see those manuals in my memoy clearly.  i want to thank my dad for getting us those tools.]
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 05:03:14 AM »

Thanks for that page! The black on soft green at the end of the page is the one that fits me best, i don't know why, but it's the one the provies me with more readability.

VSiAQ
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 06:58:17 AM »

I like Turbo Pascal scheme. Yellow text on blue background. Though I change it a bit. To Free Pascal's scheme. cheesy
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 04:37:00 AM »

I have found orange on black to be quite readable. It's not a bright orange, something that stands out without contrasting too much. My screenshots would look different from what I see, because the LCD of my laptop is very old.  XChat and my terminals are orange on black. When programming, I use gvim for which there are many many color schemes available. There, I go with the darker ones that were designed for night use (my room never sees sunlight).

I change my gvim colors ever few months; whenever there is a new color scheme out I give it a try. I don't have much trouble adjusting to new schemes, but they have to be "good". I prefer color schemes that choose different variations of one tone, that are monochrome so to say.

Attached I have a screenshot of the inkpot color scheme and the new baycomb color scheme; both are gvim color schemes of course.

* baycomb.png (24.64 KB, 702x386 - viewed 814 times.)

* inkpot.png (24.83 KB, 699x389 - viewed 868 times.)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 09:11:10 AM »

that first screenshot is so damn dark, dont know how you could read that.
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 10:00:51 AM »

I like dark Grin

But it's also "quiet"; that is, there aren't many different colored used. In German colors can be loud and quiet, even excited. Baycomb is still being fine-tuned by its author, but so far I found it usable.

There are too many color schemes available for vim. I believe other programmer's editors will have a wide variety of such schemes as well; I know emacs does.
VSiAQ
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 07:09:13 AM »

I agree with mouser. The first one is too dark for my eyes to read. The second one is much better, though its line number is still hard to read.
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 07:17:16 AM »

I'm sometimes using black on a green background... I don't like black backgrounds and besides that I read something about those being bad for your eyes in the long run.

Thank you.
allen
Charter Member

Powered by Beard

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 08:30:42 AM »

There are a few schemes I switch among, depending on my mood, this is the most common one though--
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:37:54 AM by allen » Logged
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 11:30:13 AM »

more, more, more!

Ok, ok! By popular request I created some more screenshots of the color schemes I have right now. Note that these are not alle the schemes that are available, these are just the ones I happened to have installed.

Attached here are:
* anotherdark
* baycombG, a variation of baycomb above
* blue
* darkblue
* delek
* desertedocean

* anotherdark.png (26.51 KB, 582x389 - viewed 656 times.)

* baycombG.png (25.55 KB, 582x389 - viewed 730 times.)

* blue.png (25.45 KB, 582x389 - viewed 722 times.)

* darkblue.png (25.68 KB, 582x389 - viewed 642 times.)

* default.png (27 KB, 582x389 - viewed 756 times.)

* delek.png (27.2 KB, 582x389 - viewed 700 times.)

* desertedocean.png (24.62 KB, 582x389 - viewed 672 times.)
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 11:37:08 AM »

even more, even more, even more!

And the saga continues. This time we have:
* desert
* elflord
* evening
* koehler
* morning
* murphy
* pablo
* peachpuff
* ron

Yes this time we have nine attachments because I couldn't make my browser delete the contents of the last input field...

* desert.png (26.52 KB, 582x389 - viewed 667 times.)

* elflord.png (24.51 KB, 582x389 - viewed 690 times.)

* evening.png (26.32 KB, 582x389 - viewed 697 times.)

* koehler.png (25.85 KB, 582x389 - viewed 685 times.)

* morning.png (26.12 KB, 582x389 - viewed 729 times.)

* murphy.png (25.09 KB, 582x389 - viewed 649 times.)

* pablo.png (25.56 KB, 582x389 - viewed 693 times.)

* peachpuff.png (26.88 KB, 582x389 - viewed 673 times.)

* ron.png (24.07 KB, 582x389 - viewed 679 times.)
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 11:40:23 AM »

enough already, we get the point!

In the last of today's episode of "post an image" I proudly present:
* shine
* sift
* slate
* torte
* watermark
* zellner

* shine.png (26.19 KB, 582x389 - viewed 687 times.)

* sift.png (25.14 KB, 582x389 - viewed 633 times.)

* slate.png (26.28 KB, 582x389 - viewed 645 times.)

* torte.png (24.73 KB, 582x389 - viewed 669 times.)

* watermark.png (26.4 KB, 582x389 - viewed 672 times.)

* zellner.png (26.55 KB, 582x389 - viewed 679 times.)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 11:50:05 AM »

nice!  it really is useful to have some sample color schemes to look at in order to make a decision about which one looks best.

that blue one sure gives me flashbacks to the days of turboc and turbopascal.

maybe we need a script that gradually changes your color scheme based on time of day, from light to dark - that would be cool smiley
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 11:51:08 AM »

slate looks nice, but i still find black on white the easiest to read.
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 11:58:26 AM »

maybe we need a script that gradually changes your color scheme based on time of day, from light to dark - that would be cool smiley

In vim this is possible of course (of course!), since you can control a vim instance remotely. So one could write a little script that determines the color scheme based on time and then sends a remote command to a running vim instance, telling it to switch to the given color scheme.

And while we are talking about how great opensource software is: those screenshots I created with The Gimp ;-) However, I'd love to see samples of such color schemes in other editors too. I know I am the self-proclaimed opensource zealot but I'd like to widen my horizon...
allen
Charter Member