Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 22, 2014, 11:19:47 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Invalid Cast: Cool Member Blog  (Read 3091 times)
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »

DC member Martin has a really nice blog about his thoughts, observations and findings from working within the software development industry.

An excerpt from his most recent post, Was Dave a Genius?:

Every company you work for always seems to have a horror story about something that happened before your arrival. Things like current production old legacy systems that used mode="SQLServer"  for session state and then stored a ton of database reads in session to cache them.

The one I remember is the story of Dave, who had recently discovered the power of document.write and took it a little too far. Why have the server do all the work when the client can do it instead? Dave decided to have the server response.write a metric ton of document.write statements which would then produce the page at runtime in the browser. It’s possible he may have been thinking too hard about what David Wheeler said about indirection.

Back when JavaScript in the browser made people as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shooting, this story was pretty funny. But with the advances of in-browser JavaScript since the days of DHTML and the widespread popularity of libraries like jQuery, perhaps (and I may be giving him too much credit here) Dave was just ahead of his time.

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 07:11:33 AM »

@app103 - Thx for sharing! Nice blog. Bookmarked him and added his 'Software Dev' feed to my RSS reader.

Thmbsup

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
daddydave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:10:43 AM »

as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shooting

HAHA!
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »

nice website, thanks for the link. thumbs up incidentally i couldn't find Martin's IDE3 on the website.

btw, app introduced me to IDE3 a few weeks back and it is quite a fantastic program.

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:41:09 AM »

incidentally i couldn't find Martin's IDE3 on the website.

He hasn't added the portfolio section yet. He's still working on it. IDE3 will be there when he's finished.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »

That's was a pretty nice read, I think I'll add it to my RSS watcher smiley

- carpe noctem
Martin_130286

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:17:16 AM »

Thanks guys smiley

I'm really pleased you found it entertaining/useful in some way. I try to write there as often as I can, but I also wait for something interesting to talk about too - so it's kind of irregular.

I'm going to put some time into documenting my older projects (including IDE 1/2/3), as I realise there's a woeful lack of support for any of them still being used by poor souls out there smiley
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »

Oh that is very insightful! Nice find app
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.055s | Server load: 0.17 ]