topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How do you add a post in a Google Groups thread???  (Read 9421 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How do you add a post in a Google Groups thread???
« on: September 03, 2010, 04:49 PM »
Man, am I a complete idiot??  I cannot figure out how to add a post to a google groups thread.  Specifically, I'm in the MLO forum.  I was able to create a thread, someone else replied to it, but I can't reply back.  There's a "reply to author" link at the bottom of each post, but that only lets you send a private mail to that individual.  I'm posting a screenshot of the entire page in case I'm not seeing something.  Once again, simple things made to appear difficult or impossible.  Even if I'm not allowed to reply (which I don't see why since I'm allowed to create a thread), but let's say I'm restricted from replying, somewhere obvious on the page should say I can't reply or post...or have some button greyed out...something!

Of course, I have to say it, this is where Apple shines and other companies falter, including Google, who is normally relatively good with this stuff.
screenshot_20100903144437.pngHow do you add a post in a Google Groups thread???

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do you add a post in a Google Groups thread???
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Google's answer doesn't help:
http://groups.google...=en&answer=46247
To reply to an existing topic, view the topic, and click the "Reply" link near the bottom of the posting to which you want to reply. You don't have to join a Usenet newsgroup to post to it, but you will need to have a Google Account to post through our webpage.

You can also reply to an existing post in Google Groups via email. If you've chosen to receive emails from a particular group, log into your email account and find the topic you'd like to reply to. Click on the "Reply" button in your email program and type your message into the body of the email. Make sure to keep the subject line intact so your reply is sent to the correct thread. Please note that it's not possible to respond via email to threads from Usenet groups.
You know what Google?  Don't tell me, show me.  Show me the freaking button or whatever.  All those words above did not help me at all.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:00 AM »
is it something like the page doesn't think you are logged into your google account?

maybe the "reply" link suddenly appears at the bottom when your login is detected.

(i'm sure you've already tried that - perhaps it just isn't accepting your login.)

edit:
oh, i see from the screengrab you are logged in. hmm. don't know what's going on there then.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 07:01 AM by nudone »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 01:31 PM »
For a normal Usenet group you'll see a 'Reply' button down the bottom of the post - if it's not there the group owner hasn't enabled it.

greenshot_2010-09-05_04-22-41.pngHow do you add a post in a Google Groups thread???

In your case it seems he hasn't since he's the owner/developer he probably wishes to ensure that he gets to see responses which he might not if people were allowed to post followups willy-nilly.  Also, he's probably moderating the group to prevent it being flooded with spam.

PS. Don't get excited by the contents of my screengrab, it was the first post in the group.

PPS. I really wish Google hadn't taken over DejaNews and made a complete dogs breakfast of the Usenet archive.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 02:23 AM »
It's very simple - that "Reply to Author" link is how you reply. What makes you think that it sends a private message instead of a reply? Did you try it?!?!

Works for me every time. It has nothing to do with the owner not wishing anything! Where did that come from? Google Groups is not a great discussion board format by any means, but one thing it is? Pretty simple to use!

Jim

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01 AM »
It's very simple - that "Reply to Author" link is how you reply. What makes you think that it sends a private message instead of a reply? Did you try it?!?!

Because that's how it should work in a normal newsgroup, (not using Google Groups).  When you 'Reply to author' it doesn't get posted to the newsgroup.

Works for me every time. It has nothing to do with the owner not wishing anything! Where did that come from?

Replying to groups

What happens when someone hits "Reply" to a post?

When someone clicks the "Reply" link on your group's web page, the reply will always be sent to the group. To reply to the author from the web page, click the "More options" link near the top of the message, then click on the "Reply to author" link.

I can only think that if by 'Replying to author' all your posts end up in the group thread then that is the way that the person who set up the group, (not Usenet group), wants it to work.
If it's also happening when you do it through Googles interpretation of Usenet then that is wrong and it makes me even happier that I use client programs for all my Usenet stuff.

Google Groups is not a great discussion board format by any means, but one thing it is? Pretty simple to use!

The problem is they have obfuscated it by combining what are essentially message boards with Usenet.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 12:48 PM »
4wd, this isn't Usenet - it's a Google Group. I have used Usenet for many years (and still do using Agent Forte) and I do realize that Google purchased DejaNews and/or all its archives, but Google Groups doesn’t follow Usenet conventions. I can also understand why people would like it to do so - I do! But in the meantime if Superboy wants to post to the MLO group he has to do it in Google Groups. I don’t believe there is anyway to reply to the group via Usenet. Although he can reply to it via email if he has elected to receive posts via email.

And Superboy is the one that said the "Reply to Author" would send a "private mail" rather than a posting to the group. If he had tried it he would have seen that it does indeed post to the group. And Superboy never mentioned Usenet at all IIRC. He only compared it to Apple (for some reason!) Not sure why you are replying for him there with Usenet examples.

Thank you.

Jim

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 03:32 PM »
4wd, this isn't Usenet - it's a Google Group. I have used Usenet for many years (and still do using Agent Forte) and I do realize that Google purchased DejaNews and/or all its archives, but Google Groups doesn’t follow Usenet conventions. I can also understand why people would like it to do so - I do! But in the meantime if Superboy wants to post to the MLO group he has to do it in Google Groups. I don’t believe there is anyway to reply to the group via Usenet. Although he can reply to it via email if he has elected to receive posts via email.

I know it's not a Usenet group - I never said it was.

Not sure why you are replying for him there with Usenet examples.

The example I gave just happened to be a Usenet group because it illustrated Googles own criteria for replying to a group, any group, as specified in the link I gave in my last post - both a Reply and Reply to author link should be available.

OK, here's a non-Usenet example - just for a test I created a Google Group using their default settings:

greenshot_2010-09-12_05-49-46.jpgHow do you add a post in a Google Groups thread???

Note the Reply and Reply to author link.  As I said in my first reply, it depends on what settings the Group Owner has set.

PS. I was logged in via another account as a normal user not the 'manager' when I took that screengrab.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:47 PM by 4wd »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 10:44 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the responses.

From what you guys have said here, it seems like something weird is happening.  Maybe it's just a moderation issue.  but it's weird because I'm allowed to create posts as much as I want and they appear instantly.  It's only the replies that I can't do.  I find that weird, no?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 01:05 AM »
As Jim says, try the Reply to author link - it all depends how the Group Owner has it set up.  You've got nothing to lose.

I spent 30 minutes trying to get my test group to look the same as your OP but couldn't; either both Reply links were there or they weren't.  It might be some combination that I didn't stumble across.