topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google's Chrome browser gets a stable tag in version 5  (Read 8464 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google's Chrome browser gets a stable tag in version 5
« on: June 04, 2010, 10:03 AM »
Google's Chrome browser is updated to its Stable 5 version and there are some welcome changes for Linux and Mac users.

googlechrome50stable.png

• Tabs have more flexibility -- dragging to the desktop automatically opens the site in the new window, or you can drag it back to the original window without interruption.
  • Bookmarks are managed in a humane and sane way now with a simple file manager/folder view.
  • You can synchronize both bookmarks and browser preferences across multiple PCs.
  • And of course, it gets even faster, which is great considering I had to downgrade my ISP service recently.

For Linux users, refresh your Google repository (http://dl.google.com...ux/rpm/stable/x86_64) or download here. (If you're on another platform, I'm sure your browser will point you correctly from here. With all the available comparable extensions, I've left Firefox behind for now.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google's Chrome browser gets a stable tag in version 5
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 04:14 PM »
I thought Chrome always allowed you to drag a tab in and out of the main window to open in a new window or consolidate into a single window. :huh:

Chrome is and has been my primary browser for some time now. I don't even like opening Firefox anymore because it takes way too long just to open.

But there are two extensions I really miss from Firefox: Adblock Plus and All-in-One Gestures.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:16 PM »
I thought Chrome already had replacement extensions for those two :huh:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:34 PM by Lashiec »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Yea, Deozaan, here's mine (for the Linux version):

chrome-extensions99.png

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 07:01 AM »
i wish Chrome and other Chronium variants had proper tabs management so that users don't have to resort to hacks like this.

https://chrome.googl...ikaollhjobhchdbhfhgf

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Adblock: I tried Adblock for Chrome and it had problems, so I switched to AdThwart which uses the Adblock Plus blocklist but it doesn't seem to work as well as ABP for Firefox. I also have a hard time adding my own rules to the filter. I'd say it's worked only once or twice out of all the times I tried it.

Mouse Gestures: This is probably kind of picky, but my favorite and probably most often-used feature of All-in-One Gestures for Firefox is that when I do an upward gesture it will open a new tab, but if I do an upward gesture on a link, it will open that link in a new tab. I haven't been able to find another gesture extension that does that.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 11:19 PM »
i wish Chrome and other Chronium variants had proper tabs management so that users don't have to resort to hacks like this.

https://chrome.googl...ikaollhjobhchdbhfhgf

I'm with you there. Google eats its own dog food, and I'm surprised this isn't "fixed" for good. A silly behavior for any app.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 11:31 PM »
I use Chrome now about 40-45% of the time. (Well, that was one way of saying a little less than half the time). There are still a few features and extensions that keep me from using it full-time:
  • Inability to move the tabs from the very top of the browser - they interfere with a few things I have up there.
  • Zotero and/or Scrapbook. Both would be perfect but even one would be great.
  • Several apps I use that have Firefox extensions are unable to create Chrome extensions, or so they claim. E.g., Ultra Recall, Surfulater, IQ. LastPass and Linkman have only limited functionality in Chrome. Now if it is the developers of those apps that are not creating extensions then I apologize, but most have commented specifically that there is no way they've found to get any or better functionality in Chrome.
Other than those - and a few other things I am sure I forgot at the moment - Chrome is kicking Firefox's butt IMO.

Jim

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 11:50 PM »
i had been trying to make Chrome more accessible in my daily use, ever since i found out that it streams youtube's video much faster than Firefox. :up:

plus for those concerned about privacy can get the UnChrome tool (posted by MilesAhead here).

unchrome-small.png

http://www.abelssoft.net/unchrome.php