Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 20, 2014, 10:04:54 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: FPS Creator: How to Make Your Own First Person Shooter Game for Free  (Read 3996 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 15, 2010, 04:22:36 AM »

MakeUseOf.Com has a neat article up today on making a first person shooter without any programming skills, using a software tool for windows called "FPS Creator".

FPS Creator actually comes in a free and low-priced version ($50); this isn't a tool for creating a commercial quality FPS, and open source tools do exist for doing that, but FPS Creator is one of many low-priced tools that offer a very gentle way to experiment with creating your own game even if you have no programming skills.

Few things are as enjoyable and rewarding as creating a game with and for friends.  If you make one please share it with us smiley

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:40:33 AM by mouser » Logged
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »

Just tried it in Windows 7. It told me that since I was running it in Vista I needed to completely disable UAC to run the application, then shut itself down.

Instead I chose to "Run As Administrator" and that got me into it. But after placing a few tiles down and clicking a button which I think was to test out my level the program brought up a progress bar which didn't seem to do anything, and after a couple minutes I had to "End Task" since the application was eating up 97% of my CPU and not responding.

Apparently there's an FPS Creator X10 made for Windows Vista/7 and DirectX 10 which costs $70 and has no free edition. It appears as though there's no trial/demo mode either.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:35:55 PM by Deozaan » Logged

parkint
Supporting Member

It's bad luck to be superstitious

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:29:36 PM »

This has been around for quite a long time and boasts a decent sized user base.
I have "tried them all" and I recommend:
  If you really want to get your hands dirty (C++), choose Dark GDK {there is a .NET version but it is a clumsy port IMHO}
  My favorite is DXStudio.  I have a blog with tips/tricks based on my experience.

DXStudio uses ECMA Javascript (before you balk, give it a try!) and has the absolute best support on the planet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.028s | Server load: 0.11 ]