Newsletter for May 7th, 2010
"Birds of a Feather Update Together"
1. Newsletter Editorial
Hi all, and welcome to another edition of the DonationCoder.com newsletter. It's been less than 30 days since the last newsletter, and I'm trying to work my way back to doing them every 2 weeks, instead of the 4 week gaps that have become common.
I've updated half a dozen of my larger programs in the last week, and this newsletter marks their shift from beta to release status. You'll find links below -- the biggest update is to Screenshot Captor, which now boasts some of the best capturing of Windows 7 and Vista semi-transparent (Aero Glass) windows you can find.
Skrommel, the legendary coding snacks coder finally gave in and has recompiled his huge collection of utilities hosted on DonationCoder, but we are still waiting for the new versions to be uploaded on his page -- I think this may be a case where we all need to nag him on the forum to show him how much we appreciate his work. If you haven't visited it in a while, stop by his section and take a look, and send him a message telling him to update the files already!
Markham has released a new update to CircleDock, the insanely popular circular launch dock that got it's start on DC (originally coded by Eric Wong). And DC member and programming legend Ecaradec, has posted about his latest creation, Swiffout, a browser extension that can take an in-browser flash game and let you play it full screen.
Lastly, let me mention here that I'm putting out an open invitation for anyone who wants to come over on May 22nd (Saturday) to my place in Champaign IL, for food and to play board games. See the thread below for more details. Social outcasts and shy non-talkers are welcome.
- Mouser's Software
- Skrommel's One Hour Software
- CircleDock Update
- Swiffout -- Play browser flash games full screen
- DC IRLDD Board Game Night - Sat May 22nd, Champaign IL
2. User-to-User: Your Input Requested
We encourage everyone's participation on the forum, regardless of your computer knowledge or how long you've been a DC member. If you're still waiting to make your first post, see the links below for some good places to dive in.
3. May 2010 Discounts
Last month we featured a discount on the VTrain vocabulary trainer, and gave some copies of it away as well. We're pleased to announce that VTrain has agreed to extend the discount through May, for anyone who missed it in April.
4. DC Member Software Updates
This month DC members announced a few new coding snack utilities and software updates.
- CircleDock New Version Released April 30, 2010
- Crack tracker
- NoDelay - automate and customize web pages ( multiple web browser compatible )
- Coding Snack: Make mouse cursor "wrap" or "warp" to opposite screen edge (for multi screens)
- Coding Snack: Toggle mouse cursor speed or acceleration with hotkey
- Coding Snack: ALT key down visual indicator (for when alt key is stuck)
- Coding Snack: Simple Timer/Alarm Utility that beeps motherboard
- PromptHere v. 22.214.171.124
- Swiffout -- Play browser flash games full screen
5. Mouser Software Updates on DC
I released a bunch of updates to my larger software programs on the site, including some major new features (like completely re-written functions for capturing Vista/Win7 Aero transparency effect by Screenshot Captor).
- LaunchBar Commander 1.112 - major new features
- Find and Run Robot 2.87.03 - major new features
- Clipboard Help+Spell 1.30.01 - bugfix update
- URL Snooper v2.28.01 - minor new features
- Screenshot Captor v2.81.01 - major new features and win7 update
- MiniCap v1.20.01 - major new features and win7 update
- Multi Photo Quotes 1.30.03 - minor features
6. DC Member Software Updates and Mini-reviews
We also have an eclectic trio of new mini reviews posted by forum members:
- Book Mini-Review: The Design of Design - Essays from a Computer Scientist
- Bluebeam Review
- Mini Review of SugarSync and DropBox
7. Site/Forum Features and Discussion
There are several ongoing discussion threads about DonationCoder.com features, structure, and possible improvements.. I think we are finally reaching some agreement on our top priorities for things we want to do going forward, but we still want to hear more opinions about these things, so don't be shy!
- Changes to Forum Profile Visibility
- NANY 2011 :: A New Concept -- Have your say!
- Discussion: How can we Improve DonationCoder?
- Friendly 404
- Welcome, come back in a year?
- My new digital camera.. A DonationCredits Success Story
8. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions
What's new on the world wide web? What fun new sites have forum members discovered? What's the current hot topic and debate? Let's find out..
- building reputation: good o'reilly book and blog
- Bit.ly is Harmful to Your Reputation
- Apple Attacks Adobe
- Steve Jobs tells us how he really feels about Flash...
- The conflict of interest that is Google
- DuckDuckGo - new search engine
- A must-read: Hacker Marc Maiffret on Microsoft's Security Successes
- Here we go again with false positive antivirus actions bricking computers
9. Fun, Games and Amusements on the Web
If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out some of the lighter fare from the forum - humour, videos, and games..
- Comic: If Real Life Were More Like The Internet
- stackoverflow-like site for DC. Would it work? Now free
- Dan the Man: Videogame Parody
- A really cool modern visual illusion
10. Software Discussion
Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware related problem.
- Fx Software - Assistive Software - Freeware to aid (visually and other) impaired
- Alternatives to AnVir Task Manager
- CreateShotcutThere with "Open with" box ?!
- Meeting minutes/action item software recommendations?
- Powerpoint sucks - what to use instead?
- How to remove ">>>" characters from mail and rewrap mail text?
- What free multi-user CMS best matches this description?
- Need some input on CMS for a kinda, sorta webby ...
- RSS feed editor
- Review of 7 Cloud Storage Services
- XML editor
- Your favorite Spyware Tools
- Outpost 7 BETA-testers wanted
11. Developer's Corner
If you're not a programmer, don't let the title of this section scare you away - there's something here for everyone, even non-programmers! It's more than just a forum about software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial struggles, and general productivity issues. It's great to see that the section has been pretty active recently.
- OCX or API call to control notebook LCD brightness?
- Documentary on the Absurdity of Software Patents
- Atwood on configuring servers for sending email that doesn't get marked as spam
- C# Book Recommendations?
12. News You Can Use
DC member Stephen6615 has been filling in for Ehtyar in posting weekly summaries of interesting tech/computer/security news articles that he comes across on the web. He even forced me to create an archive page where you can browse through past editions.