Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 24, 2014, 10:15:35 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What free multi-user CMS best matches this description?  (Read 3273 times)
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:28:47 AM »

This is for building a community powered blog-like photo gallery site in which anyone can join and submit content

• User registers on the site, followed by email validation
            user name
            email address
            password

• User fills out a form
            select photo from hard drive
            Give it a title
            fill in caption
            check off TOS agreement box
            submit button

• Submission goes into moderation queue

• Multiple moderators can process the queue with approve or reject
            moderators can edit submissions if necessary

• Approved entries are posted to main blog-like page, limit 5, with link to see older posts (same style)

• Posts on main page present photo, caption, link to individual post page, credits section containing user name and avatar of uploader linked to profile page

• Post pages contain photo, caption, credits section containing user name and avatar of uploader linked to profile page, embed code, area for members to rate and comment

• sidebar section contains thumbnails & links to 10 latest approved submissions

• Sidebar section contains thumbnails & links to 10 top rated submissions

• Profile pages with list of each user's approved submissions, with thumbnails, titles, and links to post pages

• Award system with badges for best of day, month, year, with badges appearing on post pages and user profiles

• Lots of RSS possibilities, including individual feeds for each user.

JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »

It sounds like those needs are pretty photo-centric, so I would think a multi-user gallery solution like Gallery2/3 or Coppermine would probably be best. You could get the same/similar functionality with a more general purpose CMS and some modules/plugins, but it would be overkill by the sound of it.

- Oshyan

The New Adventures of Oshyan Greene - A life in pictures...
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:19:38 PM »

Those are not very blog-like at all. I am not looking for something that can make individual groups of photos. I am looking for more of a massively multi-user photo blog CSM where all accepted submissions are posted to the same collection which is presented in a very blog-like way.

Think buzzfeed. Something similar to that.

All the image submissions will be around the same subject theme.

Wordpress would be perfect, if I were doing all the posts myself, or had a group of trusted people that was doing all the posting. But this will be open sign-up and submissions, and needs to have good moderation to prevent spam, and it needs to be fast & easy to process the moderation queue. I also wanted it to be a community of sorts, so members will feel like it belongs to them and they are not just submitting stuff to something that belongs to me.

What I don't want is something like Flickr, or some place where members have their own galleries. This would lead to them only feeling what is on their profile belongs to them.

I don't want a "I built this part of the site and it's mine" thing going on. I want a "we built this site and it's ours".

JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:50:50 PM »

Gallery2/3 can do "everyone uploads to a single gallery" and there are ways to get it to do photoblog-type things. Maybe there is a better "out of the box" solution, I just figured since the majority of your desired functionality centers around photos, that it would make sense to look at photo-oriented solutions. ZenGallery is another one I like, though it's probably not robust or flexible enough for your needs (though it does have blog-like options).

- Oshyan

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »

Not sure I'd want to use ZenGallery right now. Not sure I'd even want to visit their site.

Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:36:21 AM »

Wordpress with the multi-blogger option is one route.

DotNetNuke should fit the bill as well.

Joomla or Drupal could do it.

However, I think that for all of those you'd need to customize them a bit to get exactly what you want.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:37:59 PM »

Renegade, my thoughts exactly. All non-gallery options require customization. There is a Gallery2 integration system for WordPress though. Maybe a combo of Wordpress, Gallery 2, and integration/multi-blogger mods/options.

- Oshyan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.032s | Server load: 0.02 ]