topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: More secure passwords... New/Old thoughts  (Read 3185 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
More secure passwords... New/Old thoughts
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:22 PM »
I was just thinking... Wouldn't "LeetSpeak" make for really good passwords? Easily remembered and yet more secure... Seems the Wiki page for Leet has beat me to it...
A more modern and legal use of leet is as a cipher that is opaque to computer systems. Computer security systems often disallow the use of common english words as passwords. Leet's use as a way of ciphering English words and phrases as strings of punctuation characters can make it useful as a means of creating memorable passwords that such systems will accept. A system that will refuse "Now is the time" as a password will often be quite happy to accept "|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3".
Thoughts?

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: More secure passwords... New/Old thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 06:47 AM »
Heck yeah, coming up with a wacky password that you can actually remember is half the battle... GI JOE!!!!

Something I have done for passwords is turn a normal word, say... "Live" and rotate it 180* to "a^!7" (no, I don't use that password for anything)

Works well. I can even write the original word on a piece of paper and leave it right next to my computer. It would take a very clever person to figure it out.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: More secure passwords... New/Old thoughts
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 05:09 PM »
Your inverting is a great idea.  I've, since before "leet" speak became popular, used a form of it for my password -- an example of a long-since outdated one is
c)olc)10n

Which is "coolcolon", but replacing some of the o's with zeros and others still with "uppercase" zeros :) nev*abl3 is another I used once upon a time.  "inevadable" or "inevitable", with the "uppercase 8" in there :D