topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Video Editing software - Any recommendations?  (Read 47270 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Video Editing software - Any recommendations?
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 02:41 PM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 03:58 PM »
a couple actually confirms some of what 40hz says

That's a first! ;D

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 05:10 PM »
I know. And, for that very reason, I wanted to discard these reviews as being totally irrelevant. But then... I remembered DC's philosophy of openness... even with those with lower brainwave frequencies...  :P ;)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 06:02 PM »
This just in: a high-end editing solution (which I've never tried due to it being... high end) is going to be open sourced soon:
http://www.prlog.org...source-platform.html
Sounds very powerful. Here's the product page and a promising screenshot of the UI:
http://www.editshare...d=155&Itemid=203
Note that I have read it used to be a hardware-based solution, which often means a proprietary, clunky UI and/or workflow, or at the least some odd holdovers from the days of being on a more purpose-built hardware platform. So be prepared for that. Still, a promising option, and perhaps the first real professional-level choice that the open source market has had...

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 06:42 PM »
I remembered DC's philosophy of openness... even with those with lower brainwave frequencies...  :P ;)

Good one. Zing!

Bravo!!! :lol:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 08:27 PM »
This just in: a high-end editing solution (which I've never tried due to it being... high end) is going to be open sourced soon:
http://www.prlog.org...source-platform.html
Sounds very powerful. Here's the product page and a promising screenshot of the UI:
http://www.editshare...d=155&Itemid=203
Note that I have read it used to be a hardware-based solution, which often means a proprietary, clunky UI and/or workflow, or at the least some odd holdovers from the days of being on a more purpose-built hardware platform. So be prepared for that. Still, a promising option, and perhaps the first real professional-level choice that the open source market has had...

- Oshyan

ooohh... Thanks Oshyan. And a free version is going to be available. I'm going to sign up to be notified when the free Lightworks application is going to be downloadable.

I remembered DC's philosophy of openness... even with those with lower brainwave frequencies...  :P ;)

Good one. Zing!

Bravo!!! :lol:

N'est-ce pas...  :eusa_dance:

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 08:17 AM »
I've downloaded a few trials but haven't actually gotten around to installing them and doing some editing as I haven't actually figured out what I want to make yet. But it's nice seeing so many alternatives to the really expensive professional software suites. I didn't know vegas had a amateur edition, thanks for the heads up 40hz
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2010, 01:18 PM »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 01:34 PM »
That's the one I just linked to. ;)

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 08:44 AM »
Well... it's a good enough link that it's worth repeating.  8)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Anyone know about this Pinnacle Video Spin? It's supposedly freeware, but I've not tried it myself.

My guess is it's quite limited, and they probably push an upgrade to the full commercial version.

Just figured I would mention it because the OP wanted free or cheap.

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29 PM »
mediachance have a range of video editing  products.
I've never used any of them, nor do I know anyone who has.
At $89, EditStudio PRO may be in the "low cost" category.
The products don't appear to be updated that frequently though, but that does necessarily mean they are not capable editors.
If there are any users of their video editing products, please chime in.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 05:06 AM »
At $89, EditStudio PRO

Agh!  When it was with the original developers, PureMotion, (v2.15 is what I had), I found it easy/intuitive and used it all the time for my DV editing.

I tried EditStudio v6 after MediaChance took it over and, IMHO, I found Sony Vegas 5, (which is what I now use even though it's rather old), streets ahead regarding ease-of-use and the ability to just do some really simple things without resorting to a manual.

Nothing against MediaChance, their DVDLab range is the dog's gonads for consumer/prosumer authoring.  Maybe it's just me but EditStudio went from being really easy to use to just....strange, (I can't think of a suitable word to describe how unintuitive it became), after they took it over.

+1 for Vegas AFAIAC ATM, but I'm going to see what the VideoLAN Movie Creator is like - v0.1.0 has been recently released.
Please keep in mind that this is an early release, and that it will (probably) crash many times eat your dog.
:)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:12 AM by 4wd »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 01:12 PM »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 02:42 AM »
>Video editing software< ? Don't "google it" - just ask Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia....deo_editing_software

Ecxept that AviDemux falls under the category of a Non Linear Editor not just a video encoding/conversion and is also what I use for more simplified video editing that doesn't require a lot of filter work.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 05:10 AM »

Back on topic:
... AviDemux ... is also what I use for more simplified video editing

Any recommendations on what FREE (or LOW COST) editor I can use to merge a video and a mp3 file into a new HQ video? lips2words syncro is not too important for this particular project of mine; I just want to add sound to an animation that already has the same length as the audio file. But I would like the final YouTube version to have almost hi-fi stereo sound.
 :tellme:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:13 AM by Curt »

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 06:21 AM »
Working with Mpeg2-Streams I personally prefer ProjectX.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 07:21 AM »
Another tick for Sony Vegas here - been using it since version 3 when it was a Sonic Foundry product and it seems to do anything I need.

I also have Adobe Master Suite CS3 but rarely use Premier as I find Vegas much more intuitive and quicker to use.

One thing to be aware of is with plugins for Sony - they keep changing something with each new version and I am now stuck at version 8 because some of the plugins I use aren't available for Vegas 9 or 10. If you aren't planning to use 3rd party plugins you should be fine.

The Home version is the same software with a few limitations to put of pro users (I can't remember what the limitations are but I think one is the number of tracks you can use in a project).

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 03:31 PM »

It is never politically correct when what is being filtered is not subject to public review of any kind - you know, the people who supposedly elected this bunch of cretins.

As to merging video with mp3, if it's an AVI then you can simply use AVIMux-GUI, otherwise AVIDemux will do AVI, MPEG1/2, MP4 and possibly MKV by setting the Video and Audio encode to Copy and setting the output file format.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Video Editing software
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 11:49 AM »
YouTube's Video Editor: http://www.youtube.com/editor

--------

http://www.youtube.com/testtube is another interesting page.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 06:05 PM »
I would like to thank the people who recommended Vegas here :Thmbsup:.

We recently got a HD video camera, and I was looking for a decent editor for our family videos. Naturally I turned to DCC, and based on the comments here I got Vegas (from Amazon, which was about half the price of any shop in DK), and it has been a pleasure to work with so far.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2012, 07:46 AM »
For Video editing, I would recommand:
a) TMepgEnc Video Mastering 5
b) AVS video editor

a) Pros: You may choose to edit in frame base mode or time-line mode, supports MKV format, intuitive and user-friendly user interface.
Cons: No support for mp3 audio, rather expansive

b) Pros: Is sold in 2 ways, you may buy AVS video editor with a limited period free upgrade. Another way (in the other website of AVS), you may even choose to subscribe for all their video utilities (you pay a relatively higher price once) and enjoy using them (and any future upgrade vers all free) for a lifetime.

Cons: Lifetime subscription is based on your PC hardware configuration. Changing or upgrading your PC, you risk losing the lifetime subscription license and AVS has no clear specification on how they determine your are no more using the same PC.

Just in case you may be interested too, for Video repairing tool, my latest finding is:
The greatest video repair tool up to date = KMPlayer + Fraps.

1) If there is this little chance a (partially corrupted) video can still be played, KMplayer will play it.
2) If a video is being played, Fraps is able to capture with very high quality (as close as how it is played) in AVI format.
Combining 1) and 2), if a video can't be recovered by them, no one else can.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2012, 11:13 AM »
For Video editing, I would recommand:
a) TMepgEnc Video Mastering 5
b) AVS video editor

a) Pros: You may choose to edit in frame base mode or time-line mode, supports MKV format, intuitive and user-friendly user interface.
Cons: No support for mp3 audio, rather expansive

b) Pros: Is sold in 2 ways, you may buy AVS video editor with a limited period free upgrade. Another way (in the other website of AVS), you may even choose to subscribe for all their video utilities (you pay a relatively higher price once) and enjoy using them (and any future upgrade vers all free) for a lifetime.

Cons: Lifetime subscription is based on your PC hardware configuration. Changing or upgrading your PC, you risk losing the lifetime subscription license and AVS has no clear specification on how they determine your are no more using the same PC.

Just in case you may be interested too, for Video repairing tool, my latest finding is:

1) If there is this little chance a (partially corrupted) video can still be played, KMplayer will play it.
2) If a video is being played, Fraps is able to capture with very high quality (as close as how it is played) in AVI format.
Combining 1) and 2), if a video can't be recovered by them, no one else can.
Thanks for these recommendations!  I just recently tried out a whole bunch of video editors and was so frustrated with all of them for one reason: input formats.  None of them can deal with the end-delivery formats very well (avi, mp4)...they all want direct camera feeds or weird uncompressed formats.  But I want a video editor that can EASILY handle all the formats that we download, or convert, or compress, etc.  Looks like avs and tmpg can do that, I'll give it a shot this weekend.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2012, 11:24 AM »

Is this better than using KMPlayer's built-in video capture? It's probably a couple of years since I used this method and can't remember too well how it worked. I think it must have been okay, otherwise I wouldn't have used it.

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 12:45 PM »
I use Pinnacle Studio and I am quite happy with it.
Happiness is laced with shards of pain