topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My middle mouse button not working with v. 1.5.4.6  (Read 17620 times)

thchum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My middle mouse button not working with v. 1.5.4.6
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Hello,

Circle Dock won't display when I click my middle mouse button since I've installed v.1.5.4.6 (I never have this problem with v.0.9), .
At the beginning when Circle Dock was start the middle button work perfectly. BUT it will stop working 5-10 min later. It will work again for 5-10 min if I quit the program and re-run it.

For now I use Show Dock when I move my mouse to screen left edge instead.

key combination : none
Laptop : Compaq Presario V3000
Mouse : Acrox Laser USB   model: MTD
mouse button : Middle button

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: My middle mouse button not working with v. 1.5.4.6
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Greetings thchum
Welcome to Circle Dock forums, and DonationCoder.com

Unfortunately we thought we had this issue nailed down, but apparently that is not the case  :-[
We are working to get this resolved quickly and hopefully by the next release.

the reason that Circle Dock seems to repair itself every 5 to 10 minutes is because that was the backup option programmed into the operation, we had hoped that this would correct the issue, but is not a full solution.

Keep an eye on us, as we are looking into it, and a permanent solution  :Thmbsup:

mmcevil

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:41 PM »
Same here.  I was using middle button, but it seems to not respond to my mouse at all now.  I've tried all the buttons, but no help.  Win XP and Logitech mx1100 mouse, if it helps. 

Ltan

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Didn't your mom ever teach you it wasn't nice to use your middle mouse button? :P

I thought it was just me.  Glad to hear that there is a fix on the way!

thchum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Thank for a quick reply.

I will keep looking for a new version.

mmcevil

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:48 PM »
I'm running XP, so I wasn't expecting it to necessarily help based on the release notes, but just so you know it's official, the latest version still don't respond to my mouse at all. 
Luckily, I can program the mouse buttons to send keystrokes, so I set CD up to respond that way, but, depending what programs I have running, it doesn't always work.  So, any help with the mouse issue would be appreciated.
Thanks!

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:41 PM »
apologies mmcevil

I ave been doing some research, and have found that Logitech tools (for mutli-button mouse) do not play well with windows.
So I am going to assume that your version of Logitech mouse is 5 or more buttons and you are utilizing the Logitech software to operate and program that mouse.
I am also finding that there are several other multi-button mouse that are having the same issues, especially in cases where mouse customization software is installed.

I have run into this issue, and I own an VX Revolution.
My solution was to re-assign the search button to shift+f1, and this has corrected my issue altogether.

Let me know more about your mouse and any software you are using to control it, and I will as well.
If this is the problem I think it is, a button will need to be dedicated to Circle Dock alone, and universally, and I can walk you through how to do that

Let me know

UPDATE:
I found your mouse and it is similar to mine.

In the image below: What do you have assigned to the button pointed to???

Screenshot - 3_5_2010 , 5_38_17 PM.jpg

This is teh button that I have assigned the Shift+f1 to, and made teh necessary changes in the Circle Dock settings......

If you are interested in doing this, or something similar with another button, let me know what version of teh logitech software you are using, and I can work up a quick tutorial for all of us  :Thmbsup:

worick

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 08:12 PM »
just to toss my 2 cents in my middle button toggle is not working either on Windows 7 64bit with a logitech trackball using MS drivers.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 08:24 PM »
just to toss my 2 cents in my middle button toggle is not working either on Windows 7 64bit with a logitech trackball using MS drivers.

Actually that may be a completely different issue  :-[
Apparently windows 7 does not like to play nice with the included Mouse DLL...apparently there is a growing list of issues, even though the DLL in question has been working for years.

We are continuing to look into this issue, but I fear we maybe running out of avenues to explore  :-[

Markham could probably expand on this issue a bit

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 10:31 PM »
Here's the situation. The global mouse and keyboard handler was actually written by a Microsoft MVP some years ago (abt 2004) and has been working in many apps and utilities for many people ever since right through the Windows 7 betas and until Windows 7 was released. For some (maybe many) people it still continues to work with Windows 7 - I, for example, use A4 Tech mice here and never experienced this and I know of users with Acer, Microsoft and Dell mice who also have experienced no problem. One thing is for sure, users of Logitech mice, such as your good self, do experience a problem with the mouse ceasing to trigger the dock's visibility. I've borrowed a Logitech mouse and have confirmed the problem for myself.

There are a couple of workarounds which, according to my testing, do appear to work consistently. Firstly you could try assigning one (or more) of the mouse modifier keys so that the toggle becomes (say) Ctrl+Middle Button.

The other option is not to use a button to toggle the mouse at all, rather use a screen edge and what works best for me is the following: In "General -> Location", set "Version 0.9 behaviour"; In "Visibility -> Show Dock", enable "Screen Right Edge", set "Edge Width/Height" to 2 and "Dwell Time" to 1. Now you can simply flick your mouse pointer to the righthand edge of your screen and back towards the centre and the Dock will appear. You can fine-tune those settings to suit yourself.

Hope this helps!

Mark

worick

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Using a modifier key works somewhat better, but it still breaks. I have mine set to Ctrl + middle and it seems to take longer to break, and the 5 minute tick seems to usually kick it back into working for a short time. I haven't tried using edges to trigger. I will probably try that.

I may just end up buying a new mouse. I really love CircleDock. It works great on 3 of my computers and only has problems on one. O, btw, one of the computers it works great on is running Windows 7 32bit and a Logitech mouse (MX revolution). Since upgrading to the newer versions of CD Markham has put out, CD has been rock stable on that machine and others. Not having it work on one machine really points out to me how much I love this app.

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 12:28 AM »
Using a modifier key works somewhat better, but it still breaks. I have mine set to Ctrl + middle and it seems to take longer to break, and the 5 minute tick seems to usually kick it back into working for a short time. I haven't tried using edges to trigger. I will probably try that.

Aha! That's good information! However I suspect you haven't upgraded to v1.55 where the delay between "ticks" has been considerably reduced to 30 second intervals.

I may just end up buying a new mouse. I really love CircleDock. It works great on 3 of my computers and only has problems on one. O, btw, one of the computers it works great on is running Windows 7 32bit and a Logitech mouse (MX revolution). Since upgrading to the newer versions of CD Markham has put out, CD has been rock stable on that machine and others. Not having it work on one machine really points out to me how much I love this app.

Thank you! I really do appreciate it when users take the trouble to post positive messages about their experiences with this program.

Mark

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 12:34 AM »
Here's the situation. The global mouse and keyboard handler was actually written by a Microsoft MVP some years ago (abt 2004) and has been working in many apps and utilities for many people ever since right through the Windows 7 betas and until Windows 7 was released. For some (maybe many) people it still continues to work with Windows 7 - I, for example, use A4 Tech mice here and never experienced this and I know of users with Acer, Microsoft and Dell mice who also have experienced no problem. One thing is for sure, users of Logitech mice, such as your good self, do experience a problem with the mouse ceasing to trigger the dock's visibility. I've borrowed a Logitech mouse and have confirmed the problem for myself.

There are a couple of workarounds which, according to my testing, do appear to work consistently. Firstly you could try assigning one (or more) of the mouse modifier keys so that the toggle becomes (say) Ctrl+Middle Button.

The other option is not to use a button to toggle the mouse at all, rather use a screen edge and what works best for me is the following: In "General -> Location", set "Version 0.9 behaviour"; In "Visibility -> Show Dock", enable "Screen Right Edge", set "Edge Width/Height" to 2 and "Dwell Time" to 1. Now you can simply flick your mouse pointer to the righthand edge of your screen and back towards the centre and the Dock will appear. You can fine-tune those settings to suit yourself.

Hope this helps!

Mark

There is a third option - which is so obvious that I completely forgot about it! It is this: in Dock Settings, enable the "Toggle Button" to be visible when the Dock, as a whole, is hidden. The "Toggle Button" is, in common with other elements, configurable as to its image, size and opacity and you can place it anywhere on the screen.

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 05:46 PM »
I use the MX revolution's equivalent for the Laptop, it is just a bit smaller   :P
The following is the set up for my mouse in the Logitch Set Point tools

Screenshot - 3_7_2010 , 4_31_03 PM.jpg
Let me know if you require a complete Set Point Tutorial to set this up!?!!  :tellme:

Combined with the following settings in Circle Dock

Screenshot - 3_7_2010 , 4_37_41 PM.jpg

This combination has worked flawlessly for me since I started it with the VX Revolution
Additionally it seems to work smother, faster, and there is almost no resource spike utilizing this combination

Try it and let me know...I love Circle Dock, But I also love my Mouse....I do not believe that I could give up one over the other....So I will continue to look into integration methods, and so far this one seems the most flawless.
So If you have an extra button that you do not commonly use, this is a great solution  :Thmbsup:

Regards
The Sarge  

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 09:42 PM »
I'm a little surprised that works as, in Circle Dock, you've defined the key sequence to be Ctrl+F1+SPACE but your mouse button is set to generate Ctrl+F1 only.

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Oops  :-[

Ooohhh boy...that is a Tutorial glitch...."ignore the man behind the curtain", and the "Space" Button  :P

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 12:14 AM »
Oops  :-[

Ooohhh boy...that is a Tutorial glitch...."ignore the man behind the curtain", and the "Space" Button  :P

Actually I was not wrong, and I did not snap to it at the time, but the bug that you pointed out is actually working....From what I can gather Logitech can only handle up to a combination of 2 hotkeys at a time, so a third modifier is not possible, so this glitch maybe a Logitech error that is allowing CD to work (???).
All I can say is it works Flawlessly and with out any complications  ::)

Observe

bbc999

• Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 03:46 AM »
Circle Dock Ver 1.0.2.3 no problem (winxp or win7)

joby_toss

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 04:44 AM »
Strange stuff!
I have same issue with Logitech G5 on Windows7x64 and CircleDock v1.5.5.16 64bit.

It doesn't bother me, though! :)
I am a 3D body trapping a single dimension soul.