topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 26, 2024, 2:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Would you use a login script that connects to your SQL to create 'Members Only' sections on your websites?

Yes
4 (66.7%)
Maybe
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Don't Know
2 (33.3%)
Definatly Not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Is a website login script something people on DC need?  (Read 7470 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is a website login script something people on DC need?
« on: February 06, 2010, 05:47 PM »
As the question clearly states, I need an idea of how many people would like to see more web-scripts on DC, and if they do, I can start to post one's that I think are highly sought after, highly wanted, and well coded.

As an example, I invite you to check out Quadodo and tell me if a script of that type or something similar would be a welcome addition to DC.

Thanks for your input :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:46 PM by Stephen66515 »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is a website login script something people on DC need?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 05:29 AM »
And here I thought Simple Machines Forum already came with all the needed stuff for user registration and management, and with login and logout features.

So, yes I would use such a script on DC, as I have for years. But I do not see where the "addition" comes from.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:34 AM »
housetier, I don't think he meant for use on the DC site. More for members to use on their own sites, outside of DC.

I believe he is asking if members are interested in having a web scripting section, or something.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 06:17 AM »
Looking at it that way makes much more sense indeed!

I am in favor of such a section on DC.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 08:39 AM »
 Sounds good to me, I've got a back burnered Intranet webring login project that might be helped by some new info.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 08:45 AM »
I nearly always use a CMS (for ease and security), but I don't rule out completely being open to simpler options for a few things.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 09:49 AM »
As an example, I invite you to check out Quadodo and tell me if a script of that type or something similar would be a welcome addition to DC.

In short, yes. I had no idea about Quadodo and it is something I have needed for quite some time. I would love to learn about other scripts like it. (Although I would prefer that they were in Python  ;) ).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Given that our intranet webring has sites done in both PHP & ASP - I wouldn't hold it down to a specific language, especially if it done in small enough chunks that it's easy to port over and/or stitch into an existing project.

As an example; this weekend I had to do a quickie messageboard-esq change log addition to a pre-existing site. Finding this brilliantly written tutorial on Basic Pagination (which was quite literally a drop-in) saved me a boat load of time.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 10:21 AM »
The domain name for this is www.quadodo.net but the links to documentation provided  on the download page (http://www.quadodo.net/downloads.php) use www.quadodo.com, which redirects you off the site (in my case, to a bad URL collection scam site).

Even if the product itself were bulletproof, this is the kind of thing that scares me away real fast.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 04:14 PM »
The domain name for this is www.quadodo.net but the links to documentation provided  on the download page (http://www.quadodo.net/downloads.php) use www.quadodo.com, which redirects you off the site (in my case, to a bad URL collection scam site).

Even if the product itself were bulletproof, this is the kind of thing that scares me away real fast.

If you had taken more than a 3 second look at this website, you would of realised the .com on the extension is meerly an oversight, if you change the .com to .net you get directed to the documentation.

This is NOT a URL collection scam, this product is 100% legitimate, and the owner has been informed of the error.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Personally i think code like this is desperately needed.  I calls these "User Management Systems" as opposed to "Content Management Systems (CMS)".

For a coder developing a web application, there is an abundance of heavy bloated CMS frameworks, and an almost complete absence of UMS frameworks.  And I have found myself choosing a CMS as a starting point just to get the user/group management, when what I would have really preferred is an actively developed and powerful UMS -- without all the crazy content management stuff.

One thing I can't tell from looking through the site is what kind of support for Access Control Lists it has -- this is an important aspect in my view -- a way to assign and manage generic permissions for users and groups.

Meta comment: This is a good example where the thread would be easier for people to find and notice if it wasn't a poll but was titled more directly, like for example "Quadodo and other User Management / Login Frameworks", etc.  Please everyone when you post remember that people may be searching for and browsing threads in future weeks, months, years, and you want to make it easy for them to anticipate the contents of a thread when reading it's title.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Personally i think code like this is desperately needed.  I calls these "User Management Systems" as opposed to "Content Management Systems (CMS)".

For a coder developing a web application, there is an abundance of heavy bloated CMS frameworks, and an almost complete absence of UMS frameworks.  And I have found myself choosing a CMS as a starting point just to get the user/group management, when what I would have really preferred is an actively developed and powerful UMS -- without all the crazy content management stuff.

One thing I can't tell from looking through the site is what kind of support for Access Control Lists it has -- this is an important aspect in my view -- a way to assign and manage generic permissions for users and groups.

Meta comment: This is a good example where the thread would be easier for people to find and notice if it wasn't a poll but was titled more directly, like for example "Quadodo and other User Management / Login Frameworks", etc.  Please everyone when you post remember that people may be searching for and browsing threads in future weeks, months, years, and you want to make it easy for them to anticipate the contents of a thread when reading it's title.

Noted and informed the owner.

I cannot be 100% sure what is included in the current version of Quadodo as I have not activly developed a website which required the script in the past 9 month, however, I am sure I can get you all the answers you require, and get the owner to pop by and input any info you need.