After upgrading to Win7 I was dismayed to find that it was lacking support for additional taskbars. I always used to have one at the top of my screen. Glad I found LaunchBar Commander and let me thank you Mouser for your great work!
That said, there are a few things that I find missing and not working quite "right" under Windows 7 and I just want to list them here for consideration:
- I always use auto-hide and really like that it hides completely and doesn't leave a thin line like other solutions that I have tried. However, I noticed that sometimes, when a window is maximized it may be un-hidden but still stays covered by the maximized window, so you cannot see it until you move or minimize the maximized window. LBC, when un-hiding behind a maximized window, should always move to the front.
- On the other hand, when using full-screen (not maximized!) applications, the LBC bar sometimes appears when the mouse cursor is moved to the edge of the screen. If you use for example a maximized remote desktop application with an auto-hiding menu by itself, you cannot reach it anymore if the LBC bar always moves to the front. LBC should not appear over full-screen applications IMO. Perhaps making it a configuration option?
- I would like to better separate folders and command items and would wish for an option to change the item's position in the bar. An alternative would be to allow multiple "spacer" items in addition to the separators.
- I use small icons with no text and would really like if the caption text would appear as tooltip when you hover the mouse over an item
- As someone else already suggested, link items should be displayed just by their name without the .lnk extension, just like explorer
I would really like to hear what you think of the suggestions. I think that the LaunchBar Commander could gain many more users, especially among those that are frustrated with the Windows 7 shortcomings like I am.