topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Program to read an image file and enable cross hairs with readout  (Read 6906 times)

JKEngineer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would like to be able to open standard (most likely grayscale) image formats (jpg especially, but also tiff, png or gif) for viewing and have an interactive cursor that could be moved over the image.  The cursor would display the grayscale intensity modified by some simple algebra of the pixel(s) under the cursor.  The parameters for the modification would be user supplied, either in response to questions about parameters on start of the program, or as fill-in boxes in the interface.  I would need to be able to vary the zoom level. 

I have no idea how of how difficult this is and have not been successful with simple searches to find programs that do it.  I did find a tool in Photoshop that reports the %K value, which would be a start, but hardly an economic one.  I don't think there is, or a could not find, the same capability in GIMP, but I am even less experienced in GIMP than in Photoshop. 

This would be for a Windows platform, say Win XP and later.  Image sizes would vary widely, from small at about 60KB to very large, potentially multiple GBs. 

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. 

JK

JKEngineer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I got to thinking that if Photoshop had it, GIMP probably did too.  I found a way to get part way there in GIMP, so I guess what I need is some coding in GIMP to modify the Info window.  The Info Window shows %Black when the drop down is set to CYMK, and %Value (which looks like %White) when set for HSV.  These look to be equivalent and to essentially be the intensity (or its flip) at the point under the cursor. 

That kind of points me at wanting an additional drop down item, say "Custom" which would report a value calculated from user input A and B as:
Reported value = (%Value from HSV/100)*(B-A) + A

How hard would that be? 

Thanks
JK

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you know little programming, you can use various very convenient Python libraries to achieve what you need. There are alot of nice and easy 2d-3d image libraries for Python.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Or program a plugin for GIMP or XnView...

- Oshyan

JKEngineer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The programming I (used to) know was mostly Fortran IV.   :-[
Using a plug-in or script for GIMP occured to me also.  I spent yesterday evening looking at that, but don't have it figured out yet.
JK

kip

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Fx Software
    • Donate to Member
Don't know how far this takes you to what you are looking for, but you could give The Colour Is .. a try, available for download at http://www.fxc.btinternet.co.uk on the Assistive Software page, near the bottom of the page

JKEngineer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Kip,
Thanks for the suggestion.  It certainly moves in the direction I want, and as a free standing program has a lot to recommend it.  It would have to be tweaked though. 
JK