Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 31, 2014, 06:31:45 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Great Britain is frozen!  (Read 11140 times)
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »

We're having the same weather here in the US-Midwest. -3F this morning.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:02:41 AM by zridling » Logged

- zaine (on Google+)
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 08:28:01 AM »

it's not that bad here, Derbyshire, UK. the roads are pretty normal and clear anyway.

(heheheh.)
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »

great picture,
Ireland too (even more unusual due to the Gulf Stream)

Tom
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »

The midwest is
We're having the same weather here in the US-Midwest. -3F this morning.
It's supposed to be cold in the midwest this time of year - That's Normal.

I'm in Central Florida ... It's supposed to (190f + rain = ) Snow tomorrow. I $&%^$# HATE Cold weather ... That why the #@$% I live in *&%$#@$$%^$# FLORIDA.
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:12:01 PM »

Is that real?

mediaguycouk
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:21:45 PM »

Is that real?
Yep - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/8447023.stm

Learning C# - Graham Robinson
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »

Freakin A!  That is crazy.  I live in Southern California.  I have no idea what real weather is like.

katykaty
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »

Anyone else 'working from home' this week?  Wink
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 03:21:50 PM »

Me if it snows  smiley
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »

tomos, that pic of that iced cross is incredible. That's some wind.

- zaine (on Google+)
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 06:24:20 PM »

Curse you, Global Warming!

CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 01:15:41 AM »

And here we get warmer! Phew!  Cool

If you need help - JUST ASK!
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 05:29:46 AM »

Curse you, Global Warming!
Heh smiley

You do realize which effect global warming has on the gulf stream, though, and what effect the gulf stream has on the rest of the world?

- carpe noctem
techidave
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 06:59:34 AM »

Anyone else 'working from home' this week?  Wink

at 7 pm here in the midwest (western Kansas) it is -2 F.  Even if it snows a foot most people will still go to work.  It just takes a little longer.  I am ready for warmer weather.

excuse me it was 7 AM. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:43:42 AM by techidave » Logged
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 10:09:45 AM »

I've always found it odd why we quantify degrees of unbearable. i.e. Does one want to stick a lit blowtorch in their ear for 5 minutes, or 10? ...Who Cares, neither option is stellar. And that's about how I feel about cold weather. Anything below about 60 sucks. Sure it could suck more (e.g. be lower)...but it still sucks.

110F ... I can cope, I'm not going to be doing anything in a real big hurry. But I generally don't do that anyhow. -2F?!? I'd move (most likely sometime much later when it/I thawed...).

At the moment here in "Sunny" Florida, it's 20 something & snowing. ...Do I sound cranky? Wink
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 10:17:57 AM »

Heh, there's a bigdifference between, say, 40f and 60f (5-15c) to me... but I'm obviously used to colder weather, living in Denmark. Right now it's -3c (~27f) outside... relatively cold, but pretty mild considering it's winter (global warming anyone cheesy). I can manage 5c without problems, giving proper clothing - below that and I don't particularly enjoy being outside for longer periods. At -5c my fingers go numb when bicycling, even wearing my leather gloves >_<

- carpe noctem
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 10:40:50 AM »

Great Britain is frozen!
I'm laughing-- I left the U.K. >30 years ago and moved to Canada.
(Wait a minute... something's wrong with that plan!)

Chris
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »

Heh, there's a bigdifference between, say, 40f and 60f (5-15c) to me... but I'm obviously used to colder weather
Which is what I'm driving at, I'm not - at all...

Arthritis causes parts of me to lockup when the temperature starts dropping, even after I get "warm" my hands just don't work. At 60 wind chill puts the temp at 30 if I take the motorcycle. And my hands won't work for an hour after I get where I'm going.
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 12:22:09 PM »

8 C (46.4 F) here on Canada's wet coast... and it is very wet. I was in shorts and a tee on Thursday . Pouring today, though.

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
JennyB
Supporting Member

Test all things - hold fast to what is good

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »

Arthritis causes parts of me to lockup when the temperature starts dropping, even after I get "warm" my hands just don't work. At 60 wind chill puts the temp at 30 if I take the motorcycle. And my hands won't work for an hour after I get where I'm going.

I have a neighbour who claims never to have worn gloves for the last thirty years. His tip for cold hands - before you try to warm them plunge them into cold water and then dry them. It sounds daft, but it seems to work.

The present cold spell in Britain and Ireland is unusual these days, but I remember several almost as bad in the 1970's. I'm just glad I wasn't around for the Winter of 1947  smiley

If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.
TucknDar
Charter Member

Advanced coder of Nowt

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 01:14:46 PM »

It's been about -20C - -15C in Oslo this week. Pretty cold, but with proper clothes it's not really a problem. Except if you're a car...

There was a video from a place in Norway where the temperature was about -45C (about -49F), showing a woman tossing a cup of boiling water (well, just been boiled, that is) in the air, and it coming down as snow. That's when it's getting really cold.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »

TucknDar: that's pretty insane ohmy

With temperatures like that, you probably have to breathe relatively controlled - might be dangerous going for a run smiley

- carpe noctem
TucknDar
Charter Member

Advanced coder of Nowt

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 02:58:47 PM »

TucknDar: that's pretty insane ohmy

With temperatures like that, you probably have to breathe relatively controlled - might be dangerous going for a run smiley
Unless you're going for a nasty bout of asthma, that is!
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 03:01:13 PM »

It's been about -20C - -15C in Oslo this week. Pretty cold, but with proper clothes [ AND A BEARD :p ] it's not really a problem.

f0dder, you're a brave man going cycling at minus five thumbs up

Tom
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »

Yorkshire ...

An unusual picture of me in winter (aren't skis supposed to slide down hills) ...

Note the base layer only as I really worked up a sweat even though it was freezing.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.081s | Server load: 0.03 ]