topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Resources for learning git?  (Read 45692 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Resources for learning git?
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2015, 03:58 AM »
Native equals "not requiring some weird emulation layer", and it matters because of performance, maintainability and quality.
Got any quantifiable data that shows Git suffers performance-wise on Windows? No?

MinGW (unlike Cygwin) is not an emulation layer, any less than libc is. If you're operating by that level of pedantry, you'd be hard pressed to find any "native" Windows software, since pretty much everything depends on the Win32 API, which isn't native.

The mind boggles at the doublethink required for you to be able to call Python "native".
- carpe noctem

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2015, 04:02 AM »
*Deletes long post about the roles of MinGW and MSYS, the position of Python, what constitutes emulation layers, how Git has pretty much caught up with Mercurial on Windows support*

Damn you, f0dder, beat me to it ;D.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2015, 10:32 AM »
*Deletes long post about the roles of MinGW and MSYS, the position of Python, what constitutes emulation layers, how Git has pretty much caught up with Mercurial on Windows support*

Damn you, f0dder, beat me to it ;D.

I was thinking the opposite... thank you for arguing it so I wouldn't have to! ;D