topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Blurred Captures?  (Read 4774 times)

Othalian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Blurred Captures?
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:27 AM »
Hi,

I don't know if I am getting old and my eyes are playing tricks on me but when I take a capture it appears blurred. I have tried selecting a different file format but to no avail and other than that everything is at the install settings. Any suggestions would be great.

Regards

Othalian

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Blurred Captures?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 06:18 AM »
when you are viewing a screenshot, if the image is scaled down to fit in the window for viewing, it can appear blurred.  look at the zoom level on the right hand side of the main screenshot captor window to see if this is the case.  if so you can set the zoom level to 100% by clicking the 100% label at the top right.  this only affects the preview not the actual saved file.

let me know if that was what was happening for you.

ps. you can adjust this smoothing effect from the "Interface Options 1" tab of options.

Othalian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:57 AM »
Hi Mouser,

Thanks for the quick reply. The zoom was set at 100%. I understand that the preview is blurred but when the image is pasted into a document it appears blurred. I have tried this on a number of captures but they all appear blurred. The image where I noticed it the most was when I took was from a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and pasted into a Microsoft Word document. The reason for doing this was to save on the thesis total word count as tables are part of the word count. But I find that other captures also look blurred.

Is there another solution to this?

Thanks again

Othalian

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:09 AM »
the images captured by screenshot captor are not going to be blurred -- there are only 2 possibilities:
1) either SC or MS Word/Excel are blurring when displaying them at less than 100% resolution
2) the files are being blurred when saving them in a lossy format (like jpg instead of png).

SO, the first step is to find out what is going on.

If you capture a screenshot and then view it in SC, with zoom set at 100%, does it look blurry?
Double click it in the thumbnail to open it up in your default viewer program, does it look blurry?
If you are saving as a jpg, try saving it as a png -- ie set your default image save format to png if you have previously changed it from that to jpg.

Othalian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:34 AM »
Hi (again) Mouser.

1. 100% in SC - no blur.
2. Viewing in default viewer - No blur

It was in PNG format that I and my wife (younger than me and thus better eyes) noticed the slightly blurred image.

Regards

Othalian

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:35 AM »
ok so it's only when in excel or word that it's blurred?

Othalian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:43 AM »
Hi,

This appears to be the case but I have just taken a different image of an Excel spreadsheet and pasted it in to a Word document abet from a different computer and the image is clear. How strange!

I can't get back onto the original computer as the Boss is behind in her thesis.

Regards

Othalian