Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 29, 2014, 09:20:27 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: pyrohacker  (Read 25216 times)
pyrohacker

Coder, gamer, loving it.

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 13, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »

NANY 2010 Entry Information

Application Name SubDiv
Version 1.2
Short Description Organize your changing folders
Supported OSes MS Windows (All)
Web Pages - You're looking at one.
- GitHub Repo
Download Link See GitHub.
System Requirements
  • Windows
  • A folder
Version History
  • 1.2 - Updated format + 2 new features
  • 1.0 - First working version
Author pyrohacker

Description

SubDiv was built to organize folders that are constantly being filled with new content, such as a 'Downloads' folder. When you are continually throwing files from the Internet into a folder on your computer, that folder becomes very disorganized (at least for me). SubDiv will take those files and put them into folders based on the day they were created.

Features
Portable - Program is drive-independent and saves settings using .ini files, so it can be placed on any computer.
Currently sorts based on the day that a file was created.

Planned Features by Priority
  • Multiple date formats - Semi-done! (currently supports two separators.)
  • Multiple sorting methods - File extension, Alphabetical, & possible others
  • Multiple work modes - Update or Constant Monitor
  • Optional recursive sorting of subfolders - Done! (Thanks, doctorfrog!)
  • Optional sorting of subfolders themselves
  • Independent website
  • Help file (only if it becomes complex enough)

Possible Features (not set in stone)
  • Undo feature - Probable, but not a priority.
  • Custom user sort fields - Not for a long time, but keep your hopes up!

Screenshots

Usage

Installation
Place the .exe file into the folder you wish to have sorted.

Using the Application
Run the program! Current settings are:
  • Recurse - take files from sub-folders and sort them as well.
  • Cleanup - delete empty folders every time a files are sorted.

Uninstallation
Delete the .exe file and the .ini file. Please note, however, that there is no way to undo sorting at this time.

Known Issues
No issues that I'm aware of, other than incompleteness!

It's difficult to test a program that is based on taking a long time. Let me know if you run across any bugs.

Since I don't know how to manage files and folders in C++, this project has been made in AHK.
Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed!

* SubDiv Screenshot 1.jpg (30.73 KB, 314x208 - viewed 622 times.)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:16:28 AM by pyrohacker; Reason: pyrohacker » Logged

Funny that programmers chose the phrase "Hello, World" while most of us are introverts.
techidave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 05:46:00 AM »

Sounds like a useful app.  Any word on a release?
supermamon
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »

Not meant to discourage but maybe you can get some inspiration from Belvedere
Maybe adding options to dynamically create folders based on date, or put up some pre-defined rules like, auto-sort by extension and create folders based on the extensions and/or type. Example predefined rules would be:
*.pdf --> Goes to PDF folder
*.xls; *.doc; *.ppt --> goes to MSOffice folder
*.jpg;*.gif;*.png --> goes to Images folder

...and yes, it's great that it will be a portable app.
pyrohacker

Coder, gamer, loving it.

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »

Phew!  I cut it a bit too close, but SubDiv has been released!  The current version is limited, but more development will follow!

All suggestions are welcome, but I probably won't be able to address most of them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:42:37 AM by pyrohacker » Logged

Funny that programmers chose the phrase "Hello, World" while most of us are introverts.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 12:45:18 AM »

Seems to work as advertised  thumbs up
Utimately would be nice to not have to copy the subdiv program into the folder you want to sort and have some more options, but it's off to a good start.
wr975
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »

Not meant to discourage but maybe you can get some inspiration from Belvedere
Maybe adding options to dynamically create folders based on date, or put up some pre-defined rules like, auto-sort by extension and create folders based on the extensions and/or type. Example predefined rules would be:
*.pdf --> Goes to PDF folder
*.xls; *.doc; *.ppt --> goes to MSOffice folder
*.jpg;*.gif;*.png --> goes to Images folder

...and yes, it's great that it will be a portable app.

You can also try this tool...

http://www.donationcoder....17828.msg159246#msg159246

Would be great if pyrohacker adds the same features in his tool. Especially the "keep .ini and .exe together" feature request was a great idea.
doctorfrog
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »

I was pretty tickled with how this program ripped through my cloudy downloads folder, until I realized that the way it names folders results in an out-of-chronological-order mess...

It's still a nice idea for Chronic Downloader's Remorse.

Suggestions:

1. Please use a folder naming convention that 'naturally' sorts by date, ie. 2009-03-15
2. Include an 'undo' feature.
3. Include a feature that optionally recursively sorts subfolders. In other words, it reaches into every folder, digs out everything and dumps it into the root folder, deletes all empty folders, then re-sorts based on file date. Definitely will want to include an "Are you really, really, really sure?" confirmation dialog for this.

* 2010-01-04_130940.png (10.28 KB, 561x282 - viewed 579 times.)
pyrohacker

Coder, gamer, loving it.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:31:40 PM »

Wow, these are some great suggestions and examples!  If they all come to pass, SubDiv will be more complex and useful than I originally had in mind ... I can't wait!

My Christmas Break is over, so development is going to have to slow down, but I don't intend to stop with version 1.0!  Just wondering, what are some opinions of the icon?  It was somewhat thrown together, so it's not the best I can do.

(The .ahk code is now hosted on a RedMine project, if anyone wants to take a look at it.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:01:07 PM by pyrohacker » Logged

dilligaff
Participant

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 11:12:13 AM »

out-of-chronological-order mess... Just Windows default behavior - does date sorting on a character-by-character basis,and the default North American convention of mm-dd-yy means that the year gets parsed last. Suppressed/implicit leading zeroes also cause some weird behavior in the sorts, in my experience,too.
see <http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=292241> for a discussion of this problem, and M$ other sorting inconsistencies at <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318872>. The photo cataloging software I currently use has the option to use the date embedded in the EXIF data,or add info to the ITPC metadata.
doctorfrog
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 07:03:45 PM »

M$

Using the format "2010_01_06" works fine for me. Actually, it's also the folder sorting technique my image organizing software employs.

The underscores seem to break up the name enough so that Windows sorts properly, and doesn't need any special date-smart x-ray vision. Those of us in the USA can deal with the communist-inspired y/m/d order. I submit it as the easiest way to go.
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »

A new suggestion: Regex based sorting. If a file matches a certain expression, put it into $folder.

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer

Thoughtful Scribbles

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »

SubDiv has just been written up on Elite Freeware:

http://elitefreeware.blog...ny-2010-entry-subdiv.html

pyrohacker

Coder, gamer, loving it.

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 08:08:36 PM »

Thanks for letting me know, Perry!  It's good to see NANY getting some publicity.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 05:25:43 PM »

Mentioned here:
http://www.addictivetips....ly-based-on-date-created/
pyrohacker

Coder, gamer, loving it.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »

SubDiv V1.2 has been unleashed!

New features include a true date format that will sort itself.  Sorry for not realizing that at first.  Also, the recursing idea has been implemented, as well as an unplanned feature: Cleanup.  When SubDiv detects an empty folder, it gets deleted.

Again, a lot of this is untested, so let me know as soon as any issues pop up.  I'm trying to find a good place to manage all of the feedback.  RedMine's nice, but I'd prefer if users didn't have to register.  Any suggestions?

adi_barb
Supporting Member

Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 05:58:15 AM »

Why is SubDiv famous?

SubDiv is famous because it is a simple tool that allows you to manage and organize folders content.  Thmbsup
scasplte2
Participant

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 02:06:34 PM »

First off, thank you so much for this nifty program. I was wondering is there anyway to change the date SubDiv looks at to create the folders?
Specifically, I am trying to organize a bunch of files and I wrote a program to go into each subdirectory and move certain filetypes to a specified folder. However, this action seems to rewrite the Date Created metadata leaving the original Date untouched and it is this date that I would like to sort by.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:08:06 PM by scasplte2 » Logged
pyrohacker

Coder, gamer, loving it.

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 06:26:38 PM »

I'm reviving this thread to ask for help. I have lost SubDiv, both source and executable. A user has expressed interest in finding it, and I'm hoping that someone still has some part of it.

My apologies for raising the dead. If anyone has the executable or source code for SubDiv — any version number — please either post it or send it to me (email visible on profile page).

Shades

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »

The version I have  (executable only, version 1.0.48) is sent to the mail address I found on the web page your profile links to. The mail address is hidden on your profile.

A "strange" way of cloud back up  tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.057s | Server load: 0.08 ]