It takes a lot of work to get the NANY Entries out the door by December 31; and it takes a lot of extra community effort to get a highly polished product done.
This year we've decided to formalize that process a little bit and extend the NANY Rewards to those volunteers that help our coders get their entries done.
So, What's a NANY Volunteer?
A NANY Volunteer is someone who formally offers specific skills and services to our coders and enters into a partnership with a NANY Entrant to perform a specific task.
How does it work?
- If you have a skill, or skills, to offer the NANY Entrants you can reply to this post and list what skills you'd like to offer.
- A NANY Entrant who can use your assistance will get in contact you (maybe PM is best?) and detail what they need.
- If you agree to help you will be listed as a volunteer on their project page.
- If accepting that request alters your offer of assistance you should edit your reply as required. It's pointless knocking back requests if you've had your available time taken!
- Offering and accepting NANY Volunteering services is a serious undertaking, you're entering into a type of partnership with the entrant, so it should not be taken lightly; though it doesn't need to be a huge task either.
- You can volunteer on as many entries as you like!
What can a NANY Volunteer do?
In reality, they can do anything that's required. Some ideas are:
- Create Icons
- Create SplashScreen
- Create Screencast Video
- Create DCUpdater File
- Create Sounds / Music
- Create / edit RedMine Page
- Beta Testers
- Text reviewer / editor
Why Have NANY Volunteers?
NANY Volunteers iis a recognition of the great array of talent we have here at DC (i.e. not just coding) and of what was already happening (in many respects). I always thought that the people who went out of their way to help the Entrants (by testing and ideas, etc) were part of the Event anyway: NANY Volunteers just formalizes the process a little.
It is also a way of ensuring that the NANY Entrants are well supported.
What Happens if there is not a Volunteer that's Offered the Skills I Need?
Make a request for one: no one will know unless you ask!