topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Divx 7 help requested  (Read 4273 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Divx 7 help requested
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:53 PM »
OK Folks, here is an oddball problem that comes in two parts.

First: I am trying to get the divx 7 pack to install properly on windows 7. When watching the installer details, I see error messages such as "Could not load: XXXX" and it proceeds to list various files. This occurs at various points throughout the installation. Does anyone else experience this?

Second: The new Divx 7 comes with MKV playback support allowing WMP12 to playback and stream mkv files. The oddball part of this is that I can successfully play an mkv file over remote desktop (when remoted into the computer) but not when logged on interactively (locally) to the computer. That is the most bizarre thing I have ever seen. Has anyone else experienced that before?

Ideas? Thoughts? Concerns? Comments? Insatiable quantum quandaries?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Divx 7 help requested
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I tried divx 7 a couple of times in Vista and it seemed to be disruptive so I just ended up pulling it back off.  On my Vista64 PC and W7 32 bit I've been using Shark's Codec Packs.

For mkv specific playback in W7 I just tried Splash Lite.  The one thing I did notice with Splash Lite on .mkv playback is seeking in the file via the slider doesn't hang.  It goes right to the point in the video and starts playing.

Another thing I notice about the Shark packs is they seem to work with the default settings. I think on my 64 bit PC I set some stuff about using 4 cores instead of 2, but that's about it.  Just running with the defaults and things seem to be smooth.

It is a bit touchy about install/uninstall order and how to uninstall.  You have to follow the protocol to avoid issues when updating.  Most of the time you can't just copy the new version over.  But there's a forum where he gives work-arounds and other advice.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Do you have a link and does this provide native directshow decoding in WMP12?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 12:52 AM »
Do you have a link and does this provide native directshow decoding in WMP12?

Here's the link to Shark's site:
http://shark007.net/

He has his own forum and also you can usually find him on these sites:

http://www.vistax64.com/
http://www.sevenforums.com/

I can't really answer your questions about the particular divx features but I'm sure there's info on the site what you can expect.  The software is updated frequently and if you have either Vista or W7 most of the video sites where I hang everyone recommends it(people much more into media center, video cam and all kinds of capture stuff I don't get into etc.. you know hard core video people.)