topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2010 Program Idea Suggestion Thread  (Read 77244 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Program Idea Suggestion Thread
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2009, 04:34 PM »
[...] I wrote a program for myself called "Much2Do". [...]

I am particularly interested in feedback concerning these questions:
- Most ToDo programs have checkboxes, do you really need them in a ToDolist?
  (I feel that if the item is done it should be removed, so why a checkbox)
- How could the planning part of my desktop application be improved?
- Would you like to have the day planning available in the mobile app as well?
- I plan 100% digital but I stil prefer to print the items for Today on paper,
  but being green means you should not print anything. Any suggestions?

I'm going to download your app & try it out, thanks!
- could I suggest starting a new thread and maybe link to it from here

So i guess for me i like the idea of multiple checklists, where i can check each item off a list until that list is complete, and then file that list away into storage.

This would fit in with Mark Forster's AutoFocus 'method' which I'm trying (again)
I would like to comment more but want to try the app first and dont want to take over this thread either . .
Tom

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2009, 05:47 PM »
I may not be a typical user, but i never use due dates on a todo list -- i use a todo list more for things that i want to get through as soon as possible.
I do like checkboxes though, because it's useful to see what you've done and how much you've accomplished, at least until you are ready to remove it completely after some time.
So i guess for me i like the idea of multiple checklists, where i can check each item off a list until that list is complete, and then file that list away into storage.

Did you see this: http://www.labnol.or...-lists-online/11619/ Seems to be the best of both worlds?

strayte

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2009, 04:23 PM »

I have a suggestion for a program for the NANYevent. It is for a password program.

I know there are numerous programs that deal with passwords but the ones I’ve seen lack something although I’m not sure how to describe this lack,

From my perspective, we are strung up between two conflicting   approaches to passwords.

The first approach produces highly secure passwords that we don’t “own” any more; we aren’t connected to them, we don’t feel that they are ours,  can’t remember them, and have no control over them. They are as random as can be made and very secure;  but because they are distant from us we avoid them, use them reluctantly if at all.
The second approach is to use a password that we recognize, that makes sense to us uses our name with some numbers or punctuation  fore and aft.. These passwords we feel connected to, give us probably an inappropriate sense of security and are less good that they might be.

Here is a different orientation to password generation.

Can someone come up with a program that would that gave us some sense of connection to the password and some sense of control over its generation. Perhaps pieces of our name and a piece of the site name would be a good start, perhaps a key of some sort that used another familiar name to generate substitutions, or re arrangements.

My feelings about passwords and security are locked up in a childhood memories of decoder rings.  What would be wonderful would be  to have a program that printed out some sort of  device that we could construct with paper and paper clips, maybe a version of  something like a circular slide rule like device, something that would let us actually reproduce our password and vary it. Maybe little sliding slices of paper, something clever and useful that made the process of generating passwords fun again.

strayte
"Darkness also travels at the speed of light."

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2009, 01:04 AM »
Nice idea. It's been written about quite a bit obviously.

Personally I use RoboForm and am very disconnected from my passwords (like I don't care) but then again I'd be lost without RF, and hence back it up and put it on USB drives etc...

But having some way to work out (and therefore calculate) the password is a nice idea (especially for absolute disaster recovery  :o ) so I'd probably use it to generate the passwords  :Thmbsup:

insert_nick

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • @insert_nick
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2009, 07:22 PM »
If there is anyone out there, who might have a good idea, unique, one that is useful and would be popular...  and would like to form a PARTNERSHIP and we'll create something together?  i.e. you come up with the idea(s) and I'll do the coding... Then I am up for that!

It'll be a partnership effort (assuming thats allowed????)

Probably best to PM me if anyone is interested???

Someone here does know what happened to user "awopbamboo"? I did PM him for a partnership like he asked in the above post (and he replied ok), then I wrote him a pretty detailed writeup of the software on google docs (which he read) but after about 5 days I'm still not hearing from him anymore... Wondering if you know why he's suddenly disappeared while he declared to be interested in developing my proposed app: PM'ing him does not work for me...

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2009, 07:57 PM »
His profile indicates:
Last Active:   Today at 03:01:38 AM
:-\

Don't know his email through Google Docs?

mbrazil

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2009, 10:27 PM »
This idea/request needs a little explanation up front. I've been an Avant browser user for a long time. WildBlue, my satellite ISP, recently worked out an arrangement with Mozilla so that Firefox works a lot faster than IE on WildBlue. Since Avant uses the IE engine, I switched to Orca, which has pretty much the same UI as Avant but uses the Firefox engine. This has worked out well in almost all respects, but there is one problem. RoboForm's toolbar either doesn't show up in Orca, or it shows up empty -- no icons or text. Siber Systems says they don't and won't support Orca, and Avantforce says there's a problem getting the existing RoboForm toolbar to work in Orca. Anyway, the bottom line is that I've done a lot of searching around and can't find a fix for this that works well for me (including the RoboForm Online bookmarklett). However, I was thinking that if I had the appropriate JavaScript code to activate RoboForm's form-filling capacity (RoboForm is running with a tray icon) using a specific RoboForm identity, I could add a toolbar button to another toolbar in Orca to do this. I'm only interested in form-filling for a specific identity. I'm using Orca's built-in AutoFill for passwords, and it's working fine. Unfortunately, the built-in AutoFill doesn't work anywhere near as well for form filling as RoboForm, and the only way to activate it is through the menu structure and requires 3 clicks. I'm looking for a one-click solution, and a button in one of the existing taskbars would work fine. Orca includes the functionality to define a button, assign an icon, and attach JavaScript, so all I need is the JavaScript. I should probably just learn JavaScript, but I don't have time now.

mbrazil

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2009, 03:26 PM »
Here's another one: A utility to add an adjustable delay for activation of the Windows taskbar and other Windows toolbars created by the user when these are set to AutoHide.

Padlock6

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2009, 09:00 PM »

I use a wonderful program called WinDirStat that gives a clear simple summary of my hard drive.  What I would love to see is the same kind of overview of my RAM.  I have a widget deal that shows size used, and I can watch it grow over time when I don't re-boot for a month... 
But I can't tell what the actual memory hog is.  Maybe I should re-boot firefox more often?  Maybe something else?
Not being as clever as the program writers here, there may already be ways to do this- but how about something for the codelly challenged?

And a happy, prosperous new year to all.
Yeah, trees don't grow on money either.

Marcel25

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2010, 01:39 PM »
Hello all,

Just to complete my posting a while ago, about possibly contributing to NANY, doing a complete make-over on my Much2Do program. Because a complete make-over would have left me without any vacation/holiday days... I decided for an update instead. And yes, I know that doesn't qualify for NANY but that wasn't my objective. My objective was to transdform the program into freeware so that is what I did.

So for those of you interested, there is a new version, completely free of nag-screens, no regitration fee or donation required... just take a lool and maybe this tool will help you get organized. The tool does not require you to use a particular GTD philosphy (in fact I don't like GTD all that much), it will enable you to work in a way that you like. I added checkboxes and auto-numbering, so it is a flexible tool that can be used in many ways.

Happy coding in 2010!

http://www.much2do.nl

http://www.building....l/much2do/index.html