topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Pricelessware Scam (Alt.Comp.Freeware)  (Read 25094 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Pricelessware Scam (Alt.Comp.Freeware)
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 12:45 AM »
** J-Mac nods off, spilling his beer and popcorn into his lap.  f0dder and 40hz squirt shaving cream on his hands and tickle his nose with a feather... **

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 06:53 AM »
What the link and the group have in common is it is overrun with frauds, thieves, felons (like Bear Bottoms) scammers and Ari Silversteinn types

this pretty much sums it up, and (at least for me) the actual signal to noise ratio is now so low it's no longer worth the effort.

Each to his own but I can empathize with you on this point. Except for running smack dab into this Pricelessware scam, the election of convicted felons and molesters to the highest positions of power, I have lost interest in any regular participation in alt.comp.freeware.

What to me is an amazing indictment of the group (ACF and Pricelessware) is that they continually beat to death old freeware. There are a gazillion new entries into the market yet they spend almost all of their time rehashing instead of reviewing.

Of course if you are trying to get "volunteers" to assemble CDs for "donations", you don't have time for paltry matters such as reviews.

Bear Bottoms claims to be the group's "Extraordinaire Researcher" (LOL), he's nothing but a two bit drug runner typical of the "talent" in SCF/Pricelessware.
[/quote]

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 06:57 AM »
ACF used to be quite good, there was no spam, everyone was (generally) pretty courteous, and the focus was on sharing information (like here).  Sadly those days appear to be long gone...
I am sorry that you and others feel as if you are being dumped on when the intent is to expose what I would have thought, an international freeware licensing, copyright and intellectual property scam, be of great interest to DC.

Other forums will be attended in time.

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 07:02 AM »

As both a DC member and someone who is intimately involved in ACF and the Pricelessware site, I have to agree the acrimony there is startling sometimes. I'm sorry such a genuinely civilized and courteous group as DC catches somes of the spill-over.

I don't know why Mr. Bloss decided to come here, spouting accusations and conspiracy theories. He has been in and out of ACF for about a month, demanding to know all about Pricelessware site operations. His demands are ignored because of his belligerence, as near as I can tell. He leaves me scratching my head in wonder.
Ron you're full of it, some of the longest threads in ACF history are about the Pricelessware scam, the goons like you who claim to speak for all of ACF as if you own the place. You don't so pi$$ off.

I wonder why this subject upsets you and yours so much. Naw, no I don't, truth stings. Now run along and scam again another day. ITMT, to the rest of your skewed and deflecting commentary, I draw you back into the line of fire with this link.

https://www.donation....msg178389#msg178389

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 07:09 AM »
Bloss: do you have anything but bile? Otherwise, I suggest you take it back to ACF.
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 07:21 AM »
f0dder please don't make the situation worse by saying things that you know are going to make people feel defensive.
I think everyone has had their say now, and clearly this is something that people feel strongly about on both sides -- but i do think it's been hashed out as much as can be done from over here in the land of DonationCoder and we can should back to our regularly scheduled stuff now..

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2009, 07:25 AM »
Now run along and scam again another day.
This kind of remark (and others of yours) represent a discourtesy that is unwelcome here. If you cannot make a rational point without invective then it reflects poorly on you. I suspect that I might not be alone in this feeling, and ask you to think twice before making your responses in future. Alas, 'think before you type' never has been my own strong point, but it is a guiding principle that is worth bearing in mind.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2009, 03:12 PM »
I am sorry that you and others feel as if you are being dumped on when the intent is to expose what I would have thought, an international freeware licensing, copyright and intellectual property scam, be of great interest to DC.

I'm sorry, but that's a little disingenuous on your part.

If your intent was simply to bring this matter to our attention, you've already done so. A single post would have been sufficient for that. But apparently you seem to feel the need to try to provoke the membership into a debate which they obviously have no interest in getting into. Why you seem to feel that the DoCo community is somehow obligated to get involved with this issue is a puzzle. But to my way of looking at it, any comment about it from you, other than the first (which was allegedly made with no intent other than to bring it to our attention) is being driven by an agenda. The proper venue for that is the ACF forum. Not here.

On a related note, we're privileged to have an FBI agent in our family circle. He's been with the FBI since the early 70s, and currently holds the title of SAIC. If you know half as much about federal investigations as you imply you do, you should know what that means.

I ran your statements regarding "an ongoing Federal investigation" past him. He offered some comments which I'll summarize:

• Neither the FBI or any other federal authority will  discuss or comment on any investigation they are conducting. It is their policy to not even publicly acknowledge such an investigation exists until such time as they begin seeking indictments in court, at which time it becomes a matter of public record.

• The only way someone could genuinely claim a federal investigation was being conducted would be if he were contacted by the federal authorities - either as a witness (in which case he would also be requested not to discuss the interview since it could jeopardize the investigation if word got out) - or if he were contacted and put on notice that he was a "subject of interest" (i.e. potential suspect) in the investigation - in which case his attorney would likely caution him to say nothing.

Draw what conclusions you will from that.

Which brings us to...

This kind of remark (and others of yours) represent a discourtesy that is unwelcome here. If you cannot make a rational point without invective then it reflects poorly on you. I suspect that I might not be alone in this feeling, and ask you to think twice before making your responses in future. Alas, 'think before you type' never has been my own strong point, but it is a guiding principle that is worth bearing in mind.

Thank you once again Mr. C. My sentiments exactly - except you stated them much more concisely and elegantly than I would have.

I think everyone has had their say now, and clearly this is something that people feel strongly about on both sides -- but i do think it's been hashed out as much as can be done from over here in the land of DonationCoder and we can should back to our regularly scheduled stuff now..

Agree.

And since that's the case, maybe now might be a good time to think about locking this thread?

Just a thought. ;)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:51 PM by 40hz »

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 05:35 PM »
f0dder please don't make the situation worse by saying things that you know are going to make people feel defensive.
Thanks for your patience and forum, Mouser.  :up:

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2009, 05:37 PM »

I'm sorry, but that's a little disingenuous on your part.

I could care less what you think, go back to eating your popcorn and stay crawled up in your own little world.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:22 AM by Bloss »

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2009, 05:38 PM »

One opinion, not the opinion of the Moderator which in the end all is the only one that counts here.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Bloss:
DC is not a dictatorship. The spirit of DC implies that it's not only the moderator's opinion that counts here.

Please lets not enter the "offense/counter-offense" field (as the discussions on this matter generally do) and try to reach an interesting discussion, or this thread will quickly end up closed.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 06:02 PM »
If all of this is true, don't you think it would be more productive to contact the FBI or the BSA or some other official type of organization that can actually do something to put a stop to it?

If they are in fact selling illegal software, then that would be a crime and you should be reporting it...not posting on forums just to badmouth ACF, and then arguing with the members of the community that you just invaded, in order to do it.

I would also contact the developers of the software they are distributing, illegally.

Since this is primarily a donationware site, I don't think it would be likely that one of our applications would fall into the category of being able to be pirated in the way you describe, so posting here is not an attempt to contact a particular developer that is being violated.

And if it is true, these reportings should be done privately, not publicly, or else you could blow any chances of an official investigation being able to catch them and stop them. Posting about it publicly just would alert them that someone is on to them and they should "behave" for awhile, till you go away and forget about them.

So in my opinion, I see this as nothing but attempting to spread hate and rumors about ACF, which I don't have any dealings with and don't particularly care about. I am not involved with them, don't follow them, and their internal problems and issues with their members have not a thing to do with my life.

In other words, I really don't care and arguing with the members of this forum will not make me care.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2009, 06:02 PM »
or this thread will quickly end up closed.

The sooner the better. Bloss's latest response to 40Hz just about seals it.

Bloss, for your information: I may not be an old-timer compared to some, but I've been on DC for three years now. And I have never before seen your kind of language and your kind of attitude here. What constructive input do aim to provide?

Please, read a few other threads on DC, and you will notice that your posts are quite out of ordinary here, in both tone and content.

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2009, 08:15 AM »
If all of this is true, don't you think it would be more productive to contact the FBI or the BSA or some other official type of organization that can actually do something to put a stop to it?

This is being done by others. We each have our own ways of dealing with these Pricelessware frauds.

If they are in fact selling illegal software, then that would be a crime and you should be reporting it...not posting on forums just to badmouth ACF, and then arguing with the members of the community that you just invaded, in order to do it.

Now that you know, what are you going to do about it?

Since this is primarily a donationware site, I don't think it would be likely that one of our applications would fall into the category of being able to be pirated in the way you describe, so posting here is not an attempt to contact a particular developer that is being violated.

There are no freeware authors here? I find that impossible to believe.

And if it is true, these reportings should be done privately, not publicly, or else you could blow any chances of an official investigation being able to catch them and stop them. Posting about it publicly just would alert them that someone is on to them and they should "behave" for awhile, till you go away and forget about them.

Usenet is archived. Pricelessware goons believe they are inpenetrable. No worries.

So in my opinion, I see this as nothing but attempting to spread hate and rumors about ACF, which I don't have any dealings with and don't particularly care about. I am not involved with them, don't follow them, and their internal problems and issues with their members have not a thing to do with my life.

In other words, I really don't care and arguing with the members of this forum will not make me care.
Then move on.

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2009, 08:18 AM »
Bloss:
DC is not a dictatorship. The spirit of DC implies that it's not only the moderator's opinion that counts here.

Out of context. Only the Moderator can lock a thread.

Please lets not enter the "offense/counter-offense" field (as the discussions on this matter generally do) and try to reach an interesting discussion, or this thread will quickly end up closed.

See above and, of course, your comment was not only aimed at me, is that correct?

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2009, 08:21 AM »
I find this "discussion" quite the shame. Not one person has come forward to support thre exposure of Pricelessware, taken any steps to see if I am right or for that matter wrong. There have been posts giving advice for action...that has been already posted here as in action. There has been grumpiness, posters who claim I am being argumentative which is argumentative fo the poster.

Not one real patriot of freeware or licensing rights that I can see.

A real shame IMO and of course your POV can widely vary.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2009, 08:26 AM »
I think this has gone on long enough and it is quite obvious that the original poster is either looking for people to argue with, attempting to turn our nice forum into a den of flame warring...or he is looking for us to take some "action" that in reality we just can not do. (none of us can just run over there and stop them and/or arrest people over the internet)

So this thread is going nowhere but to uglyland. I am going to lock this thread and if anyone has an issue with it they can contact mouser and if mouser feels the thread should be reopened, he can do that.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 08:39 AM »

Who says - I'm all for dictatorship (so long as it is me).

:Wizard:

Now did someone mention popcorn and beer - where's mine (sting buggers)!

Not one real patriot of freeware or licensing rights that I can see.

I didn't realise 'freeware' is a country and there have been plenty of comments who want DRM dropped so maybe licensing rights aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Perhaps you should click her
That was a joke - I do realise that licensing rights are important.

Can I just ask what you expect DonationCoder to do about all this stuff? Surely if the FBI are dealing with it we are all safe an snug in our free world (at least if you don't live in the US).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:45 AM by Carol Haynes »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2009, 08:46 AM »
I agree with the locking of the thread at this time - the general approach we take to threads like this is make sure everyone has their chance to air their views a few times and then lock it if it looks like we are going in circles and likely to implode.

Bloss, I feel your frustration -- I don't think it's the case that no one here cares -- I think it's just that most of us aren't familiar enough with the details to be able to comment intelligently just yet -- but knowing this bunch we will be keeping an eye and ear open and sniffing around to see what we can learn.

And I think many of us are also feeling burned out by ACF, which seems to have a habit of causing people to go to war with each other, for reasons that are beyond me and unusual for a site focused on freeware.

Lastly let me address one issue that Bloss raised and disagree with something that App said:

app said:
Since this is primarily a donationware site, I don't think it would be likely that one of our applications would fall into the category of being able to be pirated in the way you describe..

My understanding of what Bloss is upset about is the idea that people are selling collections of freeware on cd, and making a real profit from the software created by freeware authors, without any of that money going to the software authors.

And I share that concern.  While some software authors don't care -- and for some software like mine that asks for donations explicitly or requires a free license key it wont matter.  For much of the free software on this site and other sites -- the idea that someone might be selling cds of the software and charging unsuspecting and unknowing people for it, who think they are paying the authors for their work but are really paying the cd burning people, this is upsetting.

But then the response from pricelessware seems to be that they are only charging nominal amounts for the effort involved in burning the cd, etc.  And if that's true, and they are making a good faith effort to explain clearly what they are charging for, then it doesn't seem to be unethical.

So in my opinion, where are now is:
  • There is a dispute about the practices and we should inform ourselves about them. I think Bloss for bringing the issue to our attention.
  • There doesn't seem to be much value in continuing the argument in this thread any longer, at least for now.

As was said above, not only is there not one person's opinion that decides these things, but none of the mods or admins here think they're any better than anyone else.. when push comes to shove sometimes someone has to pull the trigger and make decisions, but no one here feels like they are always going to be right, and we don't feel like we can't all have honest disagreements sometimes  :up: