FileHamster Plus (the old "Advanced" version) was 29.50 - I know cause I have it. The new pricing matrix looks a bit steep to me as well.
Before the restructuring there were 4 levels of FH:
- Lite (free)
- +Plus ($30)
- Dev bundle ($50)
- Enterprise ($80) - I'm not sure if this was ever actually for sale, or if it was just 'pre-announced'.
+Plus included WatchTree filters & enhancements, network & removable drive support, and some other stuff over the free version.
The Dev bundle added the FTP, script and report plugins. An blog entry (http://blog.mogware.net/?p=34
) indicates that buying these plugins separately would bring the cost up to about $70 - the Dev Bundle's price was $50.
In the new pricing scheme, they have the following:
- Basic ($30) - correspnds to the previous +Plus version
- Advanced ($50) - corresponds roughly to the previous Dev bundle
- Enterprise ($100)
The trial version give the Basic version's features, then drops functionality to a free version (that presumably corresponds to the previous Lite feature set).
Advanced corresponds roughly to the old Developer Bundle (not the +Plus version), but also includes replication, diffing and zip support (I don't think those plugins were in the Dev Bundle).
So, except for the Enterprise version the pricing is pretty much the same with a couple caveats:
- for about a year or more there was a 50% off 'Anniversary' sale, so the +Plus version was $15 and the Dev Bundle was $25
- the new 'Advanced' version is $50 for a 'Limited Time' - there was short period where the price was listed as $80, with the $50 price being an introductory special for the Advanced version. The long-term pricing is no longer on the information page - so it may or may not come back at some point. Whether (and when) the price on the Advanced verison rises would be guess work on my part, though it seems that Mogware's intent is to raise the price at some point.
So, the bottom line is that the as of right now the pricing reflects the ending of the Anniversay Sale special more or less (though Enterprise did rise in price according to my notes). It's not particularly steep compared to the old pricing unless you're comparing it to the old Anniversary sale pricing (which may be natural because it was in effect for a long while).