Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 20, 2014, 07:24:41 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Compression: BigByte  (Read 5161 times)
alecjw
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 31, 2005, 04:29:17 PM »

I made a 1GB file with BigByte and compressed it. The file size when compressed was about 70KB. I'm guessing that that's because BigByte creates files which are just 11111111111111111111111111111111 etc and when compressed it is stored as 8589934592 1's rather than 11111111111111111111111111etc. Maybe you could make it make files which are 10101010101010etc or maybe even randomly generated to stop such decrese in file size when compressed.

* 1GB.rar (71.07 KB - downloaded 256 times.)
LuckMan212
Charter Member

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 06:30:36 PM »

why would you compress it?
alecjw
Participant

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 05:46:59 AM »

Good point. I just compressed it and thought that it didn't seem right. But thinking about it, I suppose wouldn't need to compress it...
LuckMan212
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 09:10:42 AM »

i suppose there might be a valid reason for wanting to compress the files... one example might be to test the effectiveness/compare the different compression formats (ZIP, RAR, ACE, LZH, etc).  With all 1's this is not really possible.  With a string of random characters it would be a more accurate measurement of real world performance.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 09:38:39 AM »

having the program have an option to generate random bytes would be nice.
alecjw
Participant

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 11:55:52 AM »

Yay! Thats my first idea which hadn't been thought of 10 years before i thought of it. smiley
skrommel
Fastest code in the west

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 07:46:17 PM »

smiley I've pretty much given up on BigByte after I tried a program that could make a TerraByte file in seconds! I think it just made an entry in the FAT. But I can't remember where I found it...

Adding random content is impossible the way BigByte operates. It makes a 1 byte file and makes double sized copies until the desired size is reached, merges the needed copies and removes the rest.

Skrommel
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 07:59:07 PM by skrommel » Logged

Please stop by my site at  1 Hour Software by skrommel  for downloads and more info.
db90h
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Member

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 07:50:01 PM »

With all 1's this is not really possible.  With a string of random characters it would be a more accurate measurement of real world performance.

Actually, neither would represent real-world performance. Real-world benchmarking would require compilation of various common file formats. Compression targeted towards a specific file format(s) does much better than an algorithm not targeted for them. Therefore, if you were to do tests on pseudo-random or arbitrary data, the best performing compression algorithm would not necessarily be the best performing algorithm on real-world data sets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.033s | Server load: 0.1 ]