topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name  (Read 298337 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2015, 07:36 AM »
IT IS A NIGHTMARE!!! MY FILES2FOLDER ISN'T WORKING - WAHHH WAHHH WHHHH

Try this, please:

• Download this: http://skwire.dcmemb...folder/Unreg_F2F.zip
  • Extract that zip into some folder.  Right-click the Unregister_F2F_Shell_Extension.exe file and choose Run As Administrator.  That should unregister the shell extension.
  • Put your Files2Folder.exe file where you want and run it with Administrator rights as well.  You MUST run it with Administrator rights. It should ask you if you want to register the shell extension.

Now try right-clicking a file now and let me know.

jiilo.kim

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2015, 04:01 PM »
i cant see the option window for f2f.
it worked just fine till yesterday and now it just make folders and i cant see the option window.
i tried removing it the way you have said in this thread and reinstalling it but it didn't do the job either.
can you plz tell me how to fix this.??

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2015, 04:14 PM »

Do you see the F2F button in your taskbar at all?  Keep in mind that the window only appears if you have more than one file selected.

jiilo.kim

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2015, 04:53 PM »

Do you see the F2F button in your taskbar at all?  Keep in mind that the window only appears if you have more than one file selected.

omg i just reinstalled it and now it works fine m8  :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2015, 10:15 PM »
omg i just reinstalled it and now it works fine m8  :Thmbsup:

Did you do anything different for this install (such as running with admin rights)?  Which OS are you using?

callumm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2015, 03:40 AM »
I'm trying on a Win7 machine. Like a few other folks I started out by running the exe from the archive. I've since used the Unreg_F2F.zip to uninstall. I followed these steps.

1. Download this: http://skwire.dcmemb...folder/Unreg_F2F.zip
2. Extract that zip into some folder.  Right-click the Unregister_F2F_Shell_Extension.exe file and choose Run As Administrator.  That should unregister the shell extension.
3. Put your Files2Folder.exe file where you want and run it with Administrator rights as well.  You MUST run it with Administrator rights. It should ask you if you want to register the shell extension.
4. Now try right-clicking a file now and let me know.

Ok, now I have the Files2Folder context menu item, but whenever I use it, I get a 'waiting' cursor for about 2-3 minutes and then an error.  "This file does not have a program associated with it for perfoming this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an assocation in the Default Programs control panel".  I haven't moved the folder that Files2Folder.exe is in. I have tried restarting, and uninstalling a few times.

Other things I've tried: setting Files2Folder.exe compatibility to Windows XP SP3. Changing the privilege level to 'run this program as an administrator' for all users. Changing the affinity of the running process. The process, incidentally seems to consume no resources while it's running and then exits after throwing the error.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:28 AM by callumm »

rasbury

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2015, 12:23 PM »
Hi There,
Many Thanks for the program - I've been looking for something to help me with this problem for a couple of days now and this seems perfect. Well nearly.....
The small problem that I have is that you can only appear to convert up to 15 files at a time to a folder/s.
Is this the maximum you can do or is it possible to do more than this as I have literally 1000's to do..
Many Thanks for any help you can offer
Have a great day......

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2015, 04:36 PM »
Hi, rasbury, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :)

The small problem that I have is that you can only appear to convert up to 15 files at a time to a folder/s.
Is this the maximum you can do or is it possible to do more than this as I have literally 1000's to do..

I did a test with ~160 images and it moved them all without an issue.  I also did another test of ~300 various file types (downloads folder) without issue.  Anybody else experience the issue described above?

rasbury

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2015, 06:50 AM »
Hi Skwire and thanks for the welcome...
For your information the program is now working great and I can convert numerous files at a time. Great time saver for me.
I have another v.small problem that I am searching for a solution for. Wonder if you could advise?
I have attached a screenshot:
What I am having to do at the moment is drag and drop each PDF file into the folders on the left. Again I have literally thousands of these to do and it is proving very time consuming.
Is there a program you are aware of that would let me 'batch attach' these PDF's into the correct folders.
Many Thanks for any advise you could offer and have a great day....

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2015, 06:59 AM »
What I am having to do at the moment is drag and drop each PDF file into the folders on the left. Again I have literally thousands of these to do and it is proving very time consuming.
Is there a program you are aware of that would let me 'batch attach' these PDF's into the correct folders.

The screenshot you provided is a bit blurry but, from what I can tell, you need to put each of those PDF files into their own folder, correct?  If so, my File Punter application can do that in no time.

http://skwire.dcmembers.com/fp/?page=file-punter
https://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=21964.0

It's a bit of an advanced program so I would play around with it on a few copies of your files first (until you become comfortable with it).  If you have trouble figuring it out, let me know and I'll help you.

rasbury

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Hey Skwire,
Certainly a million miles over my head!!!
Even Had a look at Robo basket and although is a great program it doesn't seem to be able to do what I require.
What you say is pretty much what I require to do although I need to place the PDF's into the folders which I already have set up over on the left of my screenshot which have a very similar file name but not exactly the same.
Drag and drop for me I reckon..
Thanks again and all the best

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2015, 01:50 PM »
What you say is pretty much what I require to do although I need to place the PDF's into the folders which I already have set up over on the left of my screenshot which have a very similar file name but not exactly the same.

Can we determine which folder they need to go into from some unique part of the filename?  If so, we should be able to use File Punter to do what you want.  Can you provide me with more detail?  Perhaps an example using a few of your filenames?

rasbury

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Hey Skwire,
I've attached another screenshot showing a scaled up/down version of what I am trying to achieve.
I already have folders containing files and what I would like to do is put the PDF's into the folders with the corresponding tag number. i.e the PDF 893-08-003R2 I would like to put into folder 893-08-003 , PDF 893-08-004R2 into 893-08-004 etc etc.
Thanks Again

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2015, 04:53 PM »
This is easily doable with FilePunter, but I do have a couple of questions, first.

• Is the filename format always this:  893-08-003R2 ?  That is, is it always three numerals, a dash, two numerals, a dash, then three numerals followed by an "R", and a final numeral.  The number of numerals is important.
  • To clarify, the final "R#" does not matter for our purposes, correct?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:01 PM by skwire »

rasbury

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2015, 04:47 AM »
Morning,
1) The vast majority of them are exactly like this yes although I have some that are similar i.e. DEFECT 893-08-070 with a space between the 'T' and 8 , although if I could only process the other ones I would be delighted
2) The final 'R' is not important at all although I would still like the full filename to remain the same after it has been moved to the folder
Clear as mud??
Many Thanks

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2015, 12:04 PM »
1) The vast majority of them are exactly like this yes although I have some that are similar i.e. DEFECT 893-08-070 with a space between the 'T' and 8 , although if I could only process the other ones I would be delighted

These could be handled easily as well.  However, if there are only a few, it's probably easier to do them by hand.

2) The final 'R' is not important at all although I would still like the full filename to remain the same after it has been moved to the folder
Clear as mud??

Yep, no problem.  That's exactly what File Punter was designed to do.

Steps:

1. First of all, if you can spare the space, make copies of your PDFs and place them in a new folder.  This will be your source folder and protects your original PDF files.

2. Download, install, and run File Punter.  You will see a window like this:

2015-12-01_121305.pngDONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name

3. Choose File > Save as... from the menu and give your profile a name like rasbury.txt or whatever.

4. Click the green plus button and you will see a window like this:

2015-12-01_100539.pngDONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name

5. Now, there are many ways to solve your request; here is but one:

2015-12-01_100819.pngDONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name

Pattern: (.*?)R.*?.pdf
Destination: C:\tmp\11 Destination\??1

6. Add the entry as pictured above but make sure you change the souce & destination paths to fit your system.  Leave the parts in red as they are, though.  Ensure the "Pattern is a regular expression" option is ticked.  You should now see something like this in your File Punter window:

2015-12-01_102337.pngDONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name

7. Tick the checkbox next to the entry, ensure the Method drop-down is set to "Simulation only (test mode)", and click the Start button.

8. A text file should appear showing how the files are going to be moved into the new folders.  Something like this (without the colouring, of course):
C:\tmp\11\893-08-003R2.pdf --> C:\tmp\11 Destination\893-08-003\893-08-003R2.pdf
C:\tmp\11\893-08-004R2.pdf --> C:\tmp\11 Destination\893-08-004\893-08-004R2.pdf
[...]

I highlighted portions in red to show you how File Punter has matched parts of the original filename and then dynamically created the destination folders.

9. If you're satisfied with how the files are going to be processed, change the Method drop-down to "Copy files to destination" or "Move files to destination" and click the Start button.

10. If all goes well, the operation shouldn't take long at all.  Check your destination folder and ensure the PDFs have been copied/moved properly.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:16 PM by skwire »

rasbury

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2015, 01:29 PM »
Seems to work a dream Skwire - Your Da Man  :-*
Many Thanks

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Seems to work a dream Skwire - Your Da Man  :-*
Many Thanks

You're very welcome.  I'm glad we were able to get this solved for you.   Happy Holidays.  :)

magician62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2015, 04:50 AM »
Hi Jody, looks like I have found a small issue with Files2Folder

If there is a trailing space no folder is created.

"Example .jpg"

Hopefully you can confirm, I am currently using Win10
Why an I Magician62? Because Magician1 thru 61 were gone. :)

zarrafakt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2016, 05:08 AM »
Hi Skwire,

Picking up on callumm's post above I have a problem getting Files2folder to work. I am using Vista SP2. I have tried unregistering and uninstalling but every time I use the right click menu on a file I get,

f2ferror.jpgDONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name

I have also restored Vista file associations but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: March 08, 2016, 12:09 AM »
Hi, zarrafakt, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :)

Picking up on callumm's post above I have a problem getting Files2folder to work. I am using Vista SP2. I have tried unregistering and uninstalling but every time I use the right click menu on a file I get,
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Please note that I've never tested this program on any Vista install.  That said, after running the unregister file and attempting the install again, are you positive that you're:

• Running the Files2Folder.exe file from a permanent location (folder) and not directly from the zip file?
  • Running the Files2Folder.exe file with Administrator rights?

zarrafakt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: March 08, 2016, 02:34 AM »
Thanks for the quick response Skwire,

My Vista account is administrator. Both files2folder install and unregister were 'Run as administrator'. I have just repeated that and have the same problem just as callumm described it. It has worked on my system before. I suspect that something else has interfered with it and a Vista reinstall may be the only solution

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: April 09, 2016, 11:34 PM »
File Punter featured on ghacks today:
http://www.ghacks.ne.../file-punter-review/

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2016, 12:54 AM »
Very nice.  Thank you for the heads up.

XoRRoX

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: May 10, 2016, 12:58 AM »
Very nice job Skwire - I use it a lot  :up: :)

I would really like to configure a hotkey for it to trigger, something like Ctrl + G(roup) - would you want to do that? (I saw you developed it in AHK so that should be easy for you, right? :) )

Thanks a lot in advance, for the effort you put into it up till now and for sharing it  8) :)