topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tags in Windows Explorer  (Read 2822 times)

libeco

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • LiBeCo
    • Donate to Member
Tags in Windows Explorer
« on: August 19, 2009, 12:03 PM »
Hi there,

I thought I would just give it a try, who knows what might come out. For years I've been looking for a file manager which could replace good old Windows Explorer (XP ofcourse). In the end I didn't like any of the alternatives. Windows Explorer just works most of the time, it's usually faster then the alternatives. It has one downside however: although you can supposedly give tags to files, they won't work!

You could probably call me a tutorial freak, I collect them on an external HD (over 500gb :Thmbsup:). But let's say I have a tutorial about AJAX with jQuery, would I put it in the jQuery folder, or the AJAX folder? I think tags would be a great impovement that would introduce faceted classification to Windows. Windows 7's libraries are looking promising, but are still no tags.

So, I don't know if it is possible and if it could be coded in a few hours, but a tags system in Windows Explorer would be really nice. I was thinking of being able to add tags to files and to be able to filter on them.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

"It always seems impossible until its done." - Nelson Mandela