topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: One Alias - multiple search terms?  (Read 3808 times)

BrokenNails

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One Alias - multiple search terms?
« on: July 13, 2009, 10:17 PM »
Hi,

Quick question - I have an alias to a url that I'd like to have show up in the search results when I type one of two words - let's say 'apple' and 'orange' for arguments sake.

If I make the Alias Group name "Apple Orange" then as I type 'apple' in the search box my alias will appear, but if I type 'orange' it doesn't.

If I add a regex match of "apple|orange" then typing 'orange' does match but only when completely typed ie typing 'orang' wouldn't cause my alias to be listed.

Short of adding "ora?n?g?e?" as my regex match, or having two different aliases (ie one for apple, one for orange), is it possible to have FARR search for partial matches within an Alias name similar to what it does for file name matching? eg a file called "Apple Orange.txt" will appear when I type 'oran'.

Thanks,
Jeff

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: One Alias - multiple search terms?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:29 PM »
i was just about to suggest using a regex when you pointed out the partial typing issue not working with regular expressions..
this hasn't come up before.

i think maybe a good solution would be to modify farr so that it will match on any word in the group alias name.  then you could use "Apple Orange" just as you wanted to originally.

any objections?

BrokenNails

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: One Alias - multiple search terms?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Sounds like an ideal solution. Appreciate the quick response!  :)