topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: clipboard enhancements  (Read 10546 times)

bratliff

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
clipboard enhancements
« on: December 24, 2005, 09:41 AM »
The number of running programs should and could be as few as possible. Adding a scheduler(note reminder and ability to run programs) and personal information manager to the clipboard would eliminate having to run the scheduler. Schedulers usually have a pim included. I presently run winorganizer, but PIMEX is the best pim I have seen for my use. The more abilities a program has the more useful it becomes.

Your clipboard does partially eliminate my need for a spell checker. You might add a way to hotkey from a window that the text is highlighted and captured with the ctr-c and spell checked back to the original application. Example.
1. run note pad or any text program
2. write a paragraph
3. highlight the text
4. ctrl-c
5. spell check with ctrl-k
6. replace corrected text in note pad with ctrl-r

Best Regards, Robert Ratliff La Chorrera De Panama
Retired from Texas Instruments, Texas

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: clipboard enhancements
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 11:05 AM »
assuming we are talking about clipboard help+spell, you can do it even easier than you say :)
1) select the text from any app
2) hit ctrl+alt+v (or whatever chs shortcut you have set in the capture tab).  the will capture the text, launch chs and show it with spelling errors underlined.
3) press spellcheck button (maybe i should have an option to have this trigger automatically?), and do your spellcheck.
4) now press the icon that looks like a clipboard with an arrow leaving it to the right, that will copy the spellchecked text back over your original text.

you can use the same process for doing quick formatting of your text, not just spellcheck.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 11:08 AM »
now press the icon that looks like a clipboard with an arrow leaving it to the right, that will copy the spellchecked text back over your original text.

There wouldn't be a keyboard shortcut for the buttons for sending to clipboard/send to active window would there?

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Assuming I understand your question correctly, try this: View -> Options -> Startup/Hotkeys and check what you have for "Quick Paste Menu."  When pressed, this will bring up a list of things recently in the clipboard.  Pressing enter will paste the top entry, while the arrow keys will allow you to select from the list. 

Did I understand you correctly?

Kevin

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Nope, saw that stuff.  Let's say I copy this text with the CHS shortcut, launching CHS.  I do my spellchecking and I want to send it back to the application.  There are buttons there for sending to clipboard and sendign to active window -- I was wondering how to access those functions sans mouse.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 11:50 AM »
i'm guilty of not adding enough keyboard shortcuts to my programs until prodded, since i never use them myself.  i'm happy to set them up for any functions people want, just give me some suggestions for what hotkeys to use, first come first serve.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 01:30 PM »
If you want to make me really, really, really happy, save yourself the trouble of figuring out what shortcuts to use and just make a little tree-based editor that includes all the buttons/menu items and let us map our own keystrokes as necessary.  Much to my delight, several applications I use regularly have done this over the last few years and now, pampered, I get claustrophobic when I can't re-map them to my liking.

If you're mouser, call me Qwerty ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 04:21 PM »
yeah, let me look into this, it would be a good idea to start using such a method.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 06:04 PM »
If it's something you ever want(ed) to do, it would be easiest to start early and build.  It was messy when the developers for The Bat (http://ritlabs.com) did it -- had several years, and countless features, to draw into that system.  Now, it's all pretty self-maintaining, I think -- basically, a database of functions that can be key-mapped and, basically, you can define your own menus.  It looks like EditPad Pro 6 (private beta) is doing this now, too--with everything drawing from a single pool of functions you can put here, there, wherever.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 01:50 PM »
One of the nice things JGSoft are doing too is making all their products instable on removable discs (like pens and CompactFlash etc). Just got an email about RegexBuddy, and apparently you can already do this with EditPad Pro (except for spell checking which will come soon). Neat solution and leaves no trace on the system you are using once the media is removed.

Glad to see them catching up with Mouser ;)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 02:45 PM »
The funny thing is, JGSoft just this week announced they were doing that, with RegexBuddy being the pilot app for the install-to-disk option while CHS has done it all along ;)  AceText, his clipboard extender, doesn't work portably yet.  Guess you read their newsletter, too? ;)

EditPad Pro has always run nicely off removable media, for the most part, though -- have to copy the program directory to your drive manually, but I prefer doing things the hard way anyway.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 09:18 AM »
allen -
this is off topic but are you involved in those projects that are on the web page you have linked in your profile?
they are really wonderful, i'm sure people here would love to hear a little about them on a new thread if so..

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 11:31 PM »
Sorry for the slow reply, had a busy few days ;) As for the link in my profile, that's my little slot on the web, those projects are all mine from the ground up.  They're largely useless, niche at best -- it's not every day they get called wonderful, so thanks!

As for discussing them, I'm not usually big on self-promotion (another reason they dont' get called wonderful every day ;) -- wouldn't know what to say, but if you find any of them particularly interesting feel free to start something, I'd be glad to jump in and discuss them.