Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 20, 2014, 03:04:21 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What (programming) languages are represented?  (Read 6675 times)
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:11:25 PM »

I know we have a country thread, an introduction thread, and a couple of other threads about demographics, but I was wondering what people use to program- just idle curiousity.

Personally, I use Delphi 7 and 2006 (toying with the idea of getting 2009), C# (WinForms and WebForms) 2.0 and 3.5 Framework, and still have a bit of left over classic ASP out there (using a combination of JavaScript and VBScript).  I've been toying with the idea of learning Ruby or Perl or even PHP, but keeping up with the tech I know is exhausting enough.  I'm also thinking about getting into AIR or Silverlight, but haven't decided which yet.

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »

start:
10 input "Enter your name: ", name1
20 print "Hahahaha, " & name1 & "!!!! You entered your name into a basica program. Hahahahahah!"
30 goto start
35 REM This end statement is never reached.
40 end

Strength in Knowledge
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »

shouldnt "start:" have a line number also? I must admit I am not familiar with basica. Wink
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »

HUSH! Don't ruin my fun! ;-)

Strength in Knowledge
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »

Check my sig.  cheesy

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 06:50:44 AM »

I code mostly in C++ and PHP, though i've dabbled with almost every computer language.
bgd77
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 01:24:37 AM »

C and Perl here.
skwire
Global Moderator

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 02:31:26 AM »

In a past job, I wrote C and Java (not Javascript) code along with Oracle Forms code.  These days, I do almost everything in AutoHotkey along with Perl and PHP when needed.  Other languages that I've written viable code in include VB/VBS, Python, and Ruby.

EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 04:01:36 AM »

Primarily C++ for me too. Matlab almost exclusively for my college work however. Dabbled with Ruby for a good while, eventually decided I just really didn't like it. No flame war, it was purely a personality conflict, on a technical level I had no issues with it.

Want to get into a very different language to broaden my understanding of different ways of doing things. Functional languages seem like a good choice. Haskell caught my eye but for some reason I'm more drawn to Scheme.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 04:11:58 AM »

I love Euphoria, relearnt my love for PHP, and still dable with Classic VB.

EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 05:06:22 AM »

Not to dis Euphoria, in fact it looks very interesting but this is a funny feature to advertise these days

"You can create programs that use the full multi-megabyte memory of your computer, and a swap file is automatically used when a program needs more memory than exists on your machine."

Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 05:33:25 AM »

Not to dis Euphoria, in fact it looks very interesting but this is a funny feature to advertise these days

"You can create programs that use the full multi-megabyte memory of your computer, and a swap file is automatically used when a program needs more memory than exists on your machine."

It's a great feature... when running on DOS. :-]

EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 05:36:03 AM »

Very valid point of course smiley

housetier
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 11:42:06 AM »

I use C#, bourne shell (well, zsh and bash), Python, PHP, Javascript, Boo, and Lua.
jamiemac2005
Participant

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 06:45:29 PM »

Personally, i use a load of different languages for a load of different situations...

Web: PHP, HTML, CSS & Javascript(I use Javascript a lot in website modding[GreaseMonkey, etc]).
Console Apps: Java. Have used Pascal&Delphi(7), but hated it(was a school project).
GUI Apps: Java for long-term, larger projects, AutoHotkey for throwaways/smaller things.

Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 06:21:53 AM »

C/C++ (wxWidgets), PHP/XHTML/JS, C# (Mono) and Perl are probably my favorites, but I get my kicks leaning new languages, so I tend to dabble a lot.

Ehtyar.
jamiemac2005
Participant

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 08:42:49 AM »

I get my kicks leaning new languages, so I tend to dabble a lot.
Same there haha =]

Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 09:08:41 AM »

I primarily use C, C++. Perl, and assembly language (look f0dder, I got it right!), though I have used a lot of other languages over the years smiley.

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 10:16:51 AM »

Has anyone used AIR or Silverlight?  Can anyone comment on the language structure?

urlwolf
Charter Member

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 04:02:15 PM »

Has anyone used AIR or Silverlight?  Can anyone comment on the language structure?
AIR is (I think) a way of packaging your actionScript code. ActionScript is close to javascript, but with strong typing and better OO features.

I do R, python, ruby, perl, ActionScript. Never realized the list would be this long. Dabbling with many others. Need to learn java seriously, but I'm afraid it'd be a huge effort for a language that people critisize so much and, quite honestly, looks like crap and needs humongous IDEs.
jamiemac2005
Participant

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 04:12:55 PM »

Need to learn java seriously, but I'm afraid it'd be a huge effort for a language that people critisize so much and, quite honestly, looks like crap and needs humongous IDEs.

People overcomplicate Java. I thought it was a lot more complicated than it is, my advice is this; Sun's tutorials aren't that good. Especially if you're not a first-time programmer. I bought Java in a Nutshell by O'Reilly and the depth to which it covers Java is brilliant. The lack of a "an object is like a real life object" sort of childish talk is also a big plus (i found Sun's tutorials to be very condescending).

Also, doesn't need an IDE, IDEs just speed up basic tasks... With java all you need is JDK, JRE and a text editor. As for the lexical style, it's got a C-Style syntax, but is based around OO.

The Universities i've applied to all teach Java throughout the course so i decided to learn it before hand to make things go more smoothly, so i saw it as something that HAD to happen at some point anyway.

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 06:38:08 PM »

AIR is (I think) a way of packaging your actionScript code. ActionScript is close to javascript, but with strong typing and better OO features.

Flash, Actionscript or HTML and JavaScript - but the explanations don't show how straightforward the interface to the runtime SDK is.

jocelyn
Participant

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 08:46:21 AM »

For application: Eiffel (http://dev.eiffel.com), C, C++, C# (on Windows)
For scripts: python, shell, dos batch
For web: php, javascript, html.
mnemonic
Supporting Member

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »

Just to add a slightly ocbscure scripting language, I spent a couple of years writing IBM JCL.

It was the ultimate in copy and paste languages as you had to find someone in a beard wearing sandals if you needed anything new  Grin

Now I dabble with Python and C#.
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 07:16:44 PM »

you had to find someone in a beard wearing sandals if you needed anything new  Grin

Now I dabble with Python and C#.

And those that dabble with Python and C# wear sandals and are covered in tattoos. smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.053s | Server load: 0.02 ]