I have been trying for quite some time to find a software that did the following :
- burn a set of files onto DVD while handling media spanning and not cutting some files (when each file is less than the media capacity), optionally zipping and encrypting them
- burn only changed files since last burn, by adding them at the end of last media, not by starting a new blank media
- verifying the burnt files on the media
- have a straightforward GUI
- is pretty stable (no BSOD, no application crash, even when a defective media is fed)
Believe it or but it has been quite hard to find something. I tried archiving utilities like PowerArchiver 2010, Backup4all 3 and 4, Genie Backup Pro 8, GFI Backup Home 2009, Syncback Pro, etc... None of them met these rather simple specs, some lacked some features, for instance SyncBack Pro wouldn't write on a non blank DVD, most were buggy when the spanning feature was activated. GBPRo 8 took as a reference the remaining space on a media , so when only 100MB were available and 500MB to be burn, it wanted to burn 5x 100Mb separate archives, whereas it should have been 1x100MB and 1x400MB on a new media. B4all was pretty close to what I wanted, alas the media ejection/insertion is terrible and fails often, and I crashed the new version within only 30 minutes.
I just tried Backup Platinum this week, and it meets all my specs, is light and efficient. The only drawbacks are :
- rather expensive : $67 (DC had a 40% discount for registered members last year, I have asked them if they could renew this - Mktg should answer soon...)
- machine-locked though on line or e-mail activation
I tend to be rather enthusiastic when I come across a software that does exactly what I want, so I'd be happy to hear about your experience with BP, especially if you took opportunity of DC last year discount.
To have a direct look : http://www.backup-platinum.com/
I found a 20% rebate at : http://www.downloadp...tinum-buy104296.html