topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Good TV series. What do you watch? I used to watch Lost to unwind need successor  (Read 81840 times)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mum and I find Australian Series and Movies excellent! Real people...

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

How can you keep all the characters straight when they all talk & look like Crocodile Dundee?

And that's just the women! :: ducking and running ::

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

How can you keep all the characters straight when they all talk & look like Crocodile Dundee?

;D ;D

Some of them don't, some look more like the crocodile  ;)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ouch...good thing most Aussie women have the good sense not to hang around here :P

Ehtyar.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ouch...good thing most Aussie women have the good sense not to hang around here :P

Well, to be fair...the most famous of all Aussie women, Elle MacPherson & Nicole Kidman, looking nothing like Paul Hogan or crocodiles. :)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Being in South Africa for many years helps decipher the accent! Plus we lived down under for 4 years!  ;D

If u want a real challenge, watch Taggart (UK series based in Glasgow Scotland) - now there's an accent!  ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If u want a real challenge, watch Taggart (UK series based in Glasgow Scotland) - now there's an accent!

On some of the BBCA shows here they have English subs for the characters with heavy dialects.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:37 PM by MilesAhead »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
On some of the BBCA shows here they have English subs for the characters with heavy dialects.
i love it  ;D -- are there any other languages where you have to subtitle in the same language they are speaking because the accents are so thick?

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Low German needs subtitles too for the others. But you rarely get to hear it these days, it's a dying language...

I have seen German subs for heavy swiss (Schwyzerdüütsch) accents too.

sunlitlaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Solarum
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
First off, Firefly is always first, no exceptions.  :)

As for non-canceled shows:

NCIS - Another nod for this one as it's already been mentioned.
Lie To Me - This one is turning out to be great.
White Collar - I have been enjoying this one as well.
Burn Notice - This one is just plain awesome!

I like the IT Crowd too, but it's a whole different genre/show from Lost or the above.
---
After the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer our friend!

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Back then I liked Profit.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
+1 for FireFly! In fact, it's been a while since I watched that show, and now I have it in High Definition. Woo!

- Oshyan

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
+1 for FireFly! In fact, it's been a while since I watched that show, and now I have it in High Definition. Woo!

That show got screwed over so badly by the network that I didn't even know it existed until well after it was cancelled and SciFi (now SyFy) was showing it. That was a very well-written show that didn't get a fair chance to succeed.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... now SyFy ...

Oh grief no ... it sounds like some sort of STD !

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We finally gave up & turned the subtitles on for "The Wire" - all that,mostly unintelligible, Baltimore argot meant that my partner was constantly asking me "what did they say?". Still one of our fave shows tho'.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... now SyFy ...

Oh grief no ... it sounds like some sort of STD !

To me it sounds more like somebody's trying to register a trade name and 'sci-fi' is already in the public domain. ;D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
To me it sounds more like somebody's trying to register a trade name and 'sci-fi' is already in the public domain. ;D

That and they no longer show really good sci-fi. They've gone to 'sci-fi lite'...ergo, SyFy. ;)

(Though Battlestar Galactica is one of the best TV shows you will *ever* watch...even if you hated the original version or even if you hate science fiction.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That and they no longer show really good sci-fi.

When they show sci-fi at all.  :P

Last night SyFy channel was running an hour of "pro" wrestling on my DirectTV box.

Looking at the program schedule, it appears that ECW Smash-Ups is going to be a regular feature every Tuesday @ 10:00pm going forward. Oh well...at least it was a hour's respite from the rest of the day, which consisted of 11 hours worth of:Scare Tactics Repackaged; Scare Tactics Repackaged S1; Scare Tactics Season 3.5; and Scare Tactics Season 3.

(Though Battlestar Galactica is one of the best TV shows you will *ever* watch...even if you hated the original version or even if you hate science fiction.)

It wasn't bad even if I never became much of a fan. But IMHO anything would have been an improvement over the original series.

But for military-themed space opera, I'd still have to give the nod to Space: Above and Beyond. Clips are up on YouTube if anybody's interested.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:17 PM by 40hz »

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Though Battlestar Galactica is one of the best TV shows you will *ever* watch

2nd that

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking at the program schedule, it appears that ECW Smash-Ups is going to be a regular feature every Tuesday @ 10:00pm going forward.

Going forward? Where ya been? ECW has been in that time slot for the last two years. Sad, but true. :(

But for military-themed space opera, I'd still have to give the nod to Space: Above and Beyond.

That show was ahead of its time. It'd do a lot better today than it did at the time. That was another show Fox sabotaged by screwing around with its time slot.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking at the program schedule, it appears that ECW Smash-Ups is going to be a regular feature every Tuesday @ 10:00pm going forward.

Going forward? Where ya been? ECW has been in that time slot for the last two years.

Mostly not watching SyFy - for obvious reasons. ;D

If my GF wasn't a semi-fan of Warehouse 13, I doubt we'd be watching it at all.

Warehouse-13-Syfy.jpgGood TV series. What do you watch? I used to watch Lost to unwind need successor

Note: FWIW, WH13 is a "one-trick pony" show concept if there ever was one. But the cast is attractive and likable. And the interaction and dialog is witty, so it's enjoyable even if it's not very original or challenging. (I also must admit a certain ...um...liking for Joanne Kelly...for obvious reasons. :mrgreen: )

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:29 PM by 40hz »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Note: FWIW, WH13 is a "one-trick pony" show concept if there ever was one. But the cast is attractive and likable. And the interaction and dialog is witty, so it's enjoyable even if it's not very original or challenging.

It *is* a one-trick pony. Everything about the show screams 'hokey' and 'lame'. However, once you sit down and start watching it the cast really makes the show work. And I have to give them kudos on their season finale. The last few minutes of that episode were just...."Whoa...".

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmmmmm, speaking of "one trick pony" shows... after the success of All In The Family and other spin-offs, Norman Lear tried gender reversal in All That Glitters.  In this show the women are the bosses and men are secretaries who are admired for their "pecs" and get their asses pinched by the arrogant women bosses.  It took me 1/2 hour to find it on google.  I couldn't remember the name.  The show was one joke. It was funny for the first episode.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I enjoy Mythbusters, because they often do things I've always wanted to do myself.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Blow things up in creative ways in the name of 'Science'?