Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 24, 2014, 10:32:05 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: for the past 50 years, American students were taught bullshit  (Read 12804 times)
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »

For what I see as good German language, I recommend reading Siegfried Lenz or G√ľnter Grass. So going back to the English language: What's your recommendation of a Good English Book? Should I try the classic Shakespeare, or Hemingway, or Poe?
first, thanks for the german book recommendations thumbs up

so,
you're looking for a Good English Book - I'm not sure what you're implying by those capitals there, lol. That'll be like searching for the "Great American Novel". I cant tell you what's good in the context of this thread but I'll happily recommend a couple of books.

these below are all older books (but all 20th C. except for Jane Austen) - I would have to think/search some more for more recent writers.

Jane Austen "Pride and Prejudice" - you may be confronted with some not so modern English, and convoluted sentences too, but she did write great books!

I've only read one short story by F.Scott Fitzgerald but that was really beautifully written.

P.G.Wodehouse not only writes in beautiful English but is also very entertaining along the way (a rare combination) - there can be a lot of slang in his books - maybe, as a non-native English speaker, avoid the "Jeeves" series because they're the worst 'culprits'. Actually, I'm not sure how readable he would be for a non-native English speaker undecided  I'd recommend any books about Blanding Castle/Lord Ermsworth.

Hemingway "For Whom the Bell Tolls" & "The Old Man and the Sea" are both great books. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" does use a sort of archaic style in the dialogue to indicate when they are speaking Spanish (or it may be a dialect, I cant remember exactly)

Tom
kartal
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »

I think George Carlin is a good source-critique for English language smiley
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF