topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them  (Read 101980 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
try this then -

EDIT - removed some pesky debugging code
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:19 AM by Target »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
try this then -

EDIT - removed some pesky debugging code

Nice interface option for mid!
The sequence below seems to indicate that Start Pos isn't respected.

Example
Pre.pngIDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them Set.pngIDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them Post.pngIDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them

[Edit] P.S. You can see from the result just how much difficulty I have trying to count characters in the selection window. It is why I was hoping for some kind of highlight display in that window, in order to show which characters are affected by the spinners. I just don't have that many fingers and I can't use toes because I practice safe socks.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:31 AM by cranioscopical »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll look at it over the next couple of weeks (hopefully)

and I'm thinking about your preview request, maybe if I...

The really interesting part of this exercise (for me, and quite apart from the learning experience) has been the realisation that the development process is really about the details - getting a rough working solution is relatively easy (!!) but it's all the little things that take the time (both to implement and to troubleshoot) 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The really interesting part of this exercise (for me, and quite apart from the learning experience) has been the realisation that the development process is really about the details - getting a rough working solution is relatively easy (!!) but it's all the little things that take the time (both to implement and to troubleshoot)

absolutely true.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll look at it over the next couple of weeks (hopefully)
Oh, I hope you won't. I'd like to think you'll be far too busy enjoying your holiday!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
getting a rough working solution is relatively easy (!!) but it's all the little things that take the time (both to implement and to troubleshoot)
Now there's a metaphor for life as I know it  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think 'we' are asking for too much for this app and making the project terribly difficult! Why not simply make an app that will find all the files in question and pass them on to (a virtual folder and-) my default renamer which has been developed and fine tuned for several years?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
just for the record, my original request was fulfilled by skwire here. at the same time, Target is keen to practise his AHK programming skill, so he has expanded the original request into a mini-renamer, so to speak. do try out his program as well and if possible, give some feedback to help him out. :)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
an update - I fixed the mid functionality (my bad syntax!!) and I'm working on the MRU (a bit here, a bit there...). 

Resizing the GUI is now possible thanks to Skwire (for incorporating the functionality via Titans's anchor script)

And you can now also load as many folders as you like (though I expect some common sense will apply here...).

Curt - it was never my intention to produce anything like what this seems to have become - I'm not a coder, so these things are an opportunity for me to learn.  There are already many (many!) well crafted and highly capable renaming apps available (I have and use several myself) and I am under no illusion that this is going to turn into a killer tool (or even a capable tool!!).  In fact, I would be surprised indeed if anyone even used it at all (even I probably won't), but that's not the point.  The sheer number of views this thread has generated would indicate that others are getting something out of it as well, though I have no idea what  :o

And if your going to recommend a piece of software (yours or someone else's) it's nice to at least include a name (I couldn't google it 'cos I didn't know what I was looking for) or a link (I visited your website but I don't speak Danish so it didn't help much either...)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it was never my intention to produce anything like what this seems to have become - I'm not a coder
Hahaha...yes, you are!  This is how it starts.  =] =] =]

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Target,

Aren't you supposed to be on vacation?  :)

As the mop-heads said,
"I've got to admit it's getting better
A little better all the time".

There's something a smidgen short of perfection in the 'undo/Go Back' operation. 
The undo itself looks good but, on 'Go Back' the list is populated multiple times.

Get Back.pngIDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Resizing the GUI is now possible thanks to Skwire

Thanks to both of you!

Possible to resize the undo panel at some point?  Attachment shows why...

WichIsWhich.pngIDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
what can I say (I can't stay away!!!)

resize should be easy, and I'll look into the other when I have the opportunity

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
another update, in case anyones interested...

fixed the aforementioned error, and added a dropdown list that shows the loaded folders (you can delete from this list as well)

still haven't made much progress on the MRU, but I'm not done quite yet...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
another update, in case anyones interested...

fixed the aforementioned error, and added a dropdown list that shows the loaded folders (you can delete from this list as well)

still haven't made much progress on the MRU, but I'm not done quite yet...
Thnks 'll g nd s hw t wrks!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice!  Multiple levels of undo as well.

No need to thank me for this, I know how dull your vacation would have been without it.

;)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No need to thank me for this, I know how dull your vacation would have been without it.
-cranioscopical (April 07, 2009, 10:52 PM)

indeed...

another update - worked out the MRU business (last 10 items)

could do with a bit more testing to be sure, but let me know how it goes

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Target: some problem in the initial start-up (code below) but restarting the 2nd time turns out ok.

Error: Submenu does not exist.  The current thread will exit.

---> 057: Menu,FileMenu,add,MRU,:MyMRU

not a biggie but in the 'set length' gui, the text is not quite viewable..
ws-maimthatfile-1.png

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm having a little difficulty but I think it's what I'm doing. 
Need a bit more time to experiment.
Sorry to leave you with only the morning paper to enliven your ride!

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Target: some problem in the initial start-up (code below) but restarting the 2nd time turns out ok.
Error: Submenu does not exist.  The current thread will exit.

clearly more work needed here - I guess I was a bit enthusiastic posting this morning (note to self - do your own damn testing!!)

error is caused because you don't have any MRU entries - I'm still working on this bit but this is some progress

what resolution are you running? it's fine here (laptop @ 1280 x 800)

I'm having a little difficulty but I think it's what I'm doing. 
-cranioscopical (April 13, 2009, 10:30 PM)

welcome to my world...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
clearly more work needed here - I guess I was a bit enthusiastic posting this morning (note to self - do your own damn testing!!)

error is caused because you don't have any MRU entries - I'm still working on this bit but this is some progress

yes, i found out about this quite belatedly since MTF puts in an 'ERROR' entry in the MRU drop-down. :)

desktop @ 1152 x 864. font size: normal (96 dpi)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

yes, i found out about this quite belatedly since MTF puts in an 'ERROR' entry in the MRU drop-down. :)

desktop @ 1152 x 864. font size: normal (96 dpi)

Same display issue here (1600x1200: normal)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:33 AM by cranioscopical »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
did you forget something there Chris or are you getting into minimal statements ?!! :)
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
did you forget something there Chris or are you getting into minimal statements ?!! :)
Distracted in the middle of posting.  :-[

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a request...

this has been going round in my mind for a couple of weeks now but nothings happening (nothing new there though...) so it's over to you guys for some input

After looking at the file/folder checkbox arrangement I get the feeling that it's not very intuitive.
MTF_bar.jpg

The checkboxes are simple to use, and provide the necessary input/feedback, however they don't necessarily convey the intent.  Normal response to a checkbox is either true or false, where false means no selection has been made.  In this case however an unchecked state has a valid meaning (select files AND folders) - the caption states ALL, however the box is unchecked, which would probably indicate to most users that no selection is made...

I've tried to think of a better way to do this (in the limited amount of space) but I've come up dry - closest I can get is to use a button or a drop down list, but both use significantly more real estate, and a button isn't any real advancement on the existing checkbox...

Any and all suggestions gratefully received (many thanks, in advance!!)