Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 19, 2014, 06:16:09 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Badge/Award Mod Rewritten  (Read 29197 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:53:56 PM »

So i have now finished the first stage of rewriting the badge/award mod on the forum; that's the thing that shows little icons next to your name in your posts for things like the NANY challenge, etc.

The new setup is makes it 100x easier for me to add badges to users, and opens the way for people to add their own badges (from a set we configure), to designate hobbies, professions, etc.

And lastly the new system will make it easy to add an "Award/Badge Page" that better shows who has which badges, etc.  This part isn't written yet but won't take long.

--

If you notice you are missing a badge you should have, drop me a line.
CWuestefeld
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »

Looks nice, mouser. But figuring out what they mean requires clicking. Could you add a tooltip to them?

(BTW, I never received the NANY award gift certificate. Perhaps my spam filter ate it...)

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 06:43:01 PM »

yes tooltip is easy to add now with the new system; ill pm you about the gift certificate.
scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:48:38 PM »

What are the new badges going to be?

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:43:10 PM »

How cool is this:
http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?action=badges
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »

One feature of the new badge mod i wrote is there are 2 kinds of badges, one kind that only the administrator can give out, and one kind that people can choose for themselves from a predefined list.

This was actually an old idea by dc member CodeTrucker, where we could have badges to represent hobbies and professions, etc. that users could choose to represent themselves.

There aren't any of these up yet because i need some help building them.  What i need for each such badge is:
  • 16x16 tiny gif image
  • 64x64 bigger image (jpg or gif or png)
  • url for more info
  • one word label, one line title, and then a longer description

so if you want me to add a badge for your hobby, profession, etc., send me the stuff above (mouser@donationcoder.com).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 07:34:56 AM by mouser » Logged
alivingspirit
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »

I like the old version from the programming school. You didn't have to scroll down so much.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 09:45:16 PM »

I like the old version from the programming school.

* mouser kills himself

the old page had to be laboriously updated by hand and was a super pain to keep current.
alivingspirit
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »

I like the old version from the programming school.
* mouser kills himself
Grin Sorry. It was more meant as constructive criticism.
Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:07:08 PM »

Mouser

for the merit badges (Coding School, etc), how about a link or a literal that says what they got them for?

possibly impractical where multiple awards have been granted, but maybe a bit of extra recognition for their inputs.. 

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 10:07:31 PM »

i could add a sidebar table of contents and put each badge on its own page.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 10:08:24 PM »

for the merit badges (Coding School, etc), how about a link or a literal that says what they got them for?

i could do that easily with the new system.
alivingspirit
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »

i could add a sidebar table of contents and put each badge on its own page.
Yes! Much better.
PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 10:13:59 PM »

You forgot tinjaw's self-proclaimed award...

mahesh2k
Supporting Member

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 07:46:23 AM »

And lastly the new system will make it easy to add an "Award/Badge Page" that better shows who has which badges, etc.  This part isn't written yet but won't take long.

I'm waiting for this  Thmbsup
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 08:08:32 AM »

Perhaps the awarded and self-chosen badges should be located at separate locations? Otherwise the awards could drown in hobby icons smiley

- carpe noctem
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 09:28:51 AM »

mahesh, it is written now:
http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?action=badges

f0dder that's not a bad idea, i could make at least 3 dif sections for:
  • Programming School Awards
  • Other Official Awards+Badges
  • User Badges
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »

You can now restrict the bage page display to specific badges, for example:

to show only the nany and gathering badge winners: http://www.donationcoder....s&show=nany,gathering

to show only the programming school badges: http://www.donationcoder....how=stage1,deluxe,dabbler

you can also specify the term official to show all official admin-awarded badges: http://www.donationcoder....=badges&show=official

or the term self to show all user-self-chosen awards: http://www.donationcoder....tion=badges&show=self
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »

I made it so if you click on a badge in someone's profile or sidebar you now go to the page listing all people who have that badge  Thmbsup

Can i hear some love for the new badge system!?
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »

mouser, I just love the new badge system! 
 Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 08:41:10 PM »

now that's what i like to hear..  Cool
Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »

Yes! It's awesome!  Thmbsup

What do you think about wrapping them? As the number, and the number of the links below the avatar, increase, the body of the forum is shifted to the right and extra white space is added in the first column. Is that's whats happening? The width of the first column shouldn't be much wider than the avatar should it?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:33:34 PM by Perry Mowbray » Logged

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »

It's a combination.. they actually will wrap on their own but they also seem to expand the size of the first column as well -- i can probably fix that.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 10:23:55 PM »

Extremely well done!

Chris
kwacky1
Supporting Member

i am Cody's cousin

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 05:41:22 AM »

WOAH!  Super Awesome! 

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.052s | Server load: 0.06 ]