topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Save Window's cmd.exe line events to a text file- recorder  (Read 6326 times)

KiTTy

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • super goddess
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An add-on to Window's cmd.exe so that a user is able to save event logs from the command line.
-You have executed something that is too long to scroll back and copy all the output.
 :-*

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Save Window's cmd.exe line events to a text file- recorder
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:11 PM »
I think I'm not understanding you, but FWIW, there were old, as in back in the days of DOS, utilities like PC Magazine's Peruse, a TSR scrollback buffer.  I think JP Software's TCC/LE has a screen scrollback buffer too, and is compatible with recent versions of Windows (I haven't tried Peruse on Vista Home Premium, but it worked reasonably well on XP).

Otherwise, can you just redirect the output to a file, and read the file later, or with a Tail-type utility?

KiTTy

• Joined in 2005
  • super goddess
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 03:26 AM »
Thank you for the reply rjbull :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear. For example if you are working in a command prompt window and you would like to save all of its input/output (everything you see) to a text file- like you stated a Tail-type utility.
Maybe something like you enter in the cmd prompt window:
saveoutput C:\My_Stuff\my_output.txt

And until you close the cmd prompt window or enter a code to stop, it would save everything you see in the cmd prompt window to that text file.

The reason this would be useful as many times replies are too long to scroll back to copy which in it self becomes  quite the nuisance when you wish everything could just be saved to a text file for later viewing.

Thank you for the JP link, but I really would like something that works with cmd.exe if that is at all possible :) 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 03:33 AM »
i think what kitty really is looking for is something that many people would find useful, which is a lightweight command prompt replacement with just a few extra useful features, like better management of history.  I think something like JP Software's tools, but maybe a LOT simpler to use? 

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:00 AM »
working in a command prompt window and you would like to save all of its input/output (everything you see) to a text file
I haven't tried it, but TCC/LE has a "Tee" command:
TEE

Purpose: Copy standard input to both standard output and a file.
Format: TEE [/A /D /T] file...

file        One or more files that will receive the "tee-d" output.

Usage:
TEE is normally used to "split" the output of a program so that you can see it on the display and also save it in a file. It can also be used to capture intermediate output before the data is altered by another program or command.

mouser has a point about simpler utilities.  There are several, none of which I've tried.  They include PromptPal, PowerCMD, ColorConsole and Console, see e.g. these DC threads:

KiTTy

• Joined in 2005
  • super goddess
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Thank you for the great suggestions :)
I will look further into those  :Thmbsup: