Tresorit - Secure, end-to-end encrypted Cloud storage service (FREE) - DonationCoder.com
HOME | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate
Click here to
donate and join now!
Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 21, 2015, 06:38:03 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tresorit - Secure, end-to-end encrypted Cloud storage service (FREE)  (Read 8281 times)
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 06, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »

Originally posted:2013-12-07
Last updated2013-12-13

Basic Info
App/Service Name
(From the German noun "tresor" - a lockable, armoured cabinet.)
Thumbs-Up Rating Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup
A secure encrypted Cloud storage service that meets 2 essential security criteria:
  • (a) not US-based and not subject to US laws, and
  • (b) is encrypted (post-SnowdenGate) and successfully protects against US NSA legal/illegal surveillance, with the encryption keys being unknown to the Cloud service provider.
    Note: If you just want this on its own, refer: Pre-encryption makes cloud-based storage safer
App URLhttp://tresorit.com/
App Version ReviewedCurrent version: 0.8.93.124
Test System SpecsMS Win7-64 Home Premium
Supported OSesPC Windows (various)
Support MethodsSupport website: https://support.tresorit.com/home
Descriptive white paper: http://tresorit.com/tresoritwhitepaper.pdf
Upgrade PolicyFree upgrades.
Trial Version Available?Not applicable - this is FREEware.
Pricing SchemeFREEware. There are PAID schemes for extra storage.

Intro and Overview:
From the white paper above:
TRESORIT: COMPLETELY SECURE CLOUD COLLABORATION
Tresorit provides a novel approach to secure cloud storage. The software allows you to share
files and collaborate with your friends and colleagues with guaranteed cryptographic end-to-
end security, without sacrificing the ease of use and performance of unsecure cloud storage
services. With Tresorit, you encrypt files on your computer and the only people able to see the
content are the ones you expressly give permission to. Contrary to other solutions, no storage
provider or network administrator, no unauthorized hacker, not even Tresorit can read your files.
Get 50GB of Free, Encrypted Online Storage from Tresorit
Melanie Pinola   

Windows (Mac, Android, iOS coming soon): There are a ton of online syncing and storage services, but not all of them locally encrypt your data for higher security. Just out of limited beta, Tresorit is a new Dropbox alternative with client-side encryption. The company offers 5GB of free space, but for a limited time Lifehacker readers can grab 50GB free for life.

Tresorit's biggest selling point is the strong security. Your files and folders are encrypted before they're uploaded to the cloud. To get technical about it:

Files are encrypted with AES-256 before being uploaded to the cloud. Additional security is provided before upload by HMAC message authentication codes applied on SHA-512 hashes. Encrypted files are uploaded to the cloud using TLS-protected channels.

The company is also putting its money where its mouth is: On April 15, Tresorit is inviting the world's hackers to try to break its encryption and win $10,000. So Tresorit is pretty confident in its security claims.

The Windows software (Mac, Android, and iOS versions coming before June) is also really easy to use. You can select any folder to be synced (as a "Tresor"), share folders with other users, and also adjust permissions of shared folders by user.

On the downside, there's no web-based access for your files, people you share folders with will also need the software installed, and it takes a few seconds longer for your synced files to appear on another computer (probably because of the encryption that has to happen first). Other Dropbox alternatives with client-side encryption, SpiderOak and Wuala, have more features, but Tresorit's interface is a lot more user-friendly. And it's hard to beat 50GB of free encrypted space.

If you want to try it out, you'll need to register via the link below to get the 50 gigs free. This offer is good until May 20.

Update: Some people are reporting only getting 5GB. Tresorit has fixed the glitch, so it should work fine now, but if you were one of these people, email support@tresorit.com and they'll set you up with the 50GB. Also, you can follow @tresorit on Facebook or Twitter to be notified when Mac and mobile apps are available.

Tresorit

EDIT: It seems to work OK:

Who this software is designed for:
Any PC user who wants a secure encrypted Cloud storage service that meets 2 essential security criteria:
  • (b) is encrypted (post-SnowdenGate) and successfully protects against US NSA legal/illegal surveillance, with the encryption keys being unknown to the Cloud service provider.

Per the website, the features are:
  • Your safe space in the cloud:
    • Store your digital valuables, access them anywhere, and share safely.
    • Highest grade encryption protects every aspect of your content management in the cloud.

• Turn any folder into a secure tresor:
    • Any folder can be turned into a secure tresor. There’s no need to reorganize your data. You can stick to your own workflow!
    • To drag and drop a folder, or simply right clicking and ‘tresoring it!’ takes only a few seconds.

• Access anywhere:
    • Access encrypted content anywhere - Tresorit merges privacy and mobility.
    • Store content on your Windows PC or Mac, then take it with you on Android and iOS.

The Good:
When I first started up with the Tresorit account, I adopted a wait-and-see attitude in the light of the SnowdenGate revelations about US NSA legal and illegal surveillance.
However, in a pop-up screen when Tresorit started up on my laptop on 2013-12-07, I was obliged to agree to the changed Terms and Conditions as from 2013-11-11, if I wished to continue using the Tresorit service: (this is a good move on Tresorit's part.)

These are the Terms and Conditions as from 2013-11-11:

Needs Improvement:
No notes on this as at this stage. I have not seen any drawbacks in the service/software so far, and the User Interface (which was already quite good) has been improved upon in the newer releases.

Why I think you should use this product/service:
If you are a PC user who wants a secure encrypted Cloud storage service that meets 2 essential security criteria:
- then Tresorit could be ideal.

How it compares to similar products: (from my direct knowledge and experience, and if I understand correctly)
  • Box.net - does not meet the 2 essential security criteria above.
  • DropBox -  - does not meet the 2 essential security criteria above.
  • GoogleDrive - does not meet the 2 essential security criteria above.
  • SkyDrive - does not meet the 2 essential security criteria above.
  • Wuala - meets the 2 essential security criteria above.

Conclusions:
If you are a PC user who wants a secure encrypted Cloud storage service that distinguishes itself by meeting the above 2 essential security criteria, then using a service such as Tresorit (on a FREE or PAID basis) could be a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:23:03 AM by IainB; Reason: Update 2013-12-13 re \"Pre-encryption\". » Logged
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 05:16:09 AM »

I've also used it since the initial Lifehacker 50GB giveaway, a couple of things to make note of:

• Remember your password - if you forget it then you cannot recover anything in the cloud.
    You can only register for a new account using your original email address and a new password, you will then be prompted to delete your old account.  See here.
  • One really annoying drawback of the program, (for me anyway), is it locks files while it's syncing rather than use the Volume Shadow Service or something similar.
    An example: If I compile an AutoIt script, and then try to compile it again because I did a minor edit - that compile will fail because the previously compiled executable is locked while it's being synced.  Probably not a problem for those with multi-Mb broadband but for those of us in the real world, it really is annoying.

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:19:32 AM »

Sounds good. And better than nothing.

But unfortunately, even though it's (supposedly) not subject to US law, there's still no real expectation it will be not subject to "special accommodations" or "diplomatic favors" from the Swiss government. Even the countries most vocal about the US spy programs (i.e. France, China, Russia) have their own robust and abusive network espionage systems and laws in place.

And don't forget the IT provisions in all those secret trade agreements and treaties many governments seem so intent on getting signed. Preferably with as little public disclosure as possible.

That's why a technological "solution" is a pipe dream at best. The most it can provide is a temporary sanctuary. And the same goes for oversight committees or changes to the law. Our intelligence communities seem quite comfortable and willing to work outside the rule of law, to say nothing of their being utterly contemptuous of legality in general.

As long as The One Ring exists, it will never be over. Sauron knew what he was doing when he 'gave' his ring technology "as a gift" to the elves, dwarves, and men. Apparently, so too did the US government when it gifted The Internet to planet earth..

Cool
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:26:03 AM by 40hz » Logged
cmpm
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »

so too did the US government when it gifted The Internet to planet earth..

and GPS...developed originally for the military
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »

so too did the US government when it gifted The Internet to planet earth..
and GPS...developed originally for the military
Oops! Encryption came out of the US military too...
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 02:24:25 AM »

Update 2013-12-13 re "Pre-encryption" (in the table in the opening post).
(b) is encrypted (post-SnowdenGate) and successfully protects against US NSA legal/illegal surveillance, with the encryption keys being unknown to the Cloud service provider.
Note: If you just want this on its own, refer: Pre-encryption makes cloud-based storage safer
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »

Few months have passed, any new thoughts on Tresorit and other "safe" and encrypted cloud storage? Looking for one just to backup a few files, nothing fancy but as safe as possible these days.
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 10:48:30 PM »

Isn't Mega.co.nz supposed to be encrypted end-to-end?

There's also SpiderOak, which has been around for a long time.

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:27:08 PM »

Isn't Mega.co.nz supposed to be encrypted end-to-end?
There's also SpiderOak, which has been around for a long time.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm not sure whether they meet the suggested 2 essential security criteria, though I think MEGA probably does by now, if it didn't before.
I shall have to investigate and add them to the alternatives list anyway.
In light of @40hz's comments, it might be appropriate to review those two criteria and give them some more precise definition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.125s | Server load: 0.51 ]

Share on Facebook
submit to reddit