Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • October 13, 2015, 06:00:36 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: vista - a simple way to change a file type's associated ICON  (Read 2706 times)

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
vista - a simple way to change a file type's associated ICON
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:23:37 AM »
i actually like vista even if there are a few annoyances. some things are just plain stupid though; how to change a file type associated icon.

i'd been trying to find a simple way of doing it without resorting to editing the registry. plenty of result online stating that there isn't really a good way of doing it without buying a util - which seems a bit too much just to change a single setting in windows vista.

i'd been using Creative Elements Power Tools in demo mode to do the job - which is overkill. http://www.creativel...ment.com/powertools/

but after another attempt at finding a better solution today i finally spotted this - and it's free...

"Types" http://types.sourceforge.net/ there doesn't appear to be much info about it, looks like it's created by Evgeny Strunnikov.

seems to work as you'd expect.

(sorry, if it's already been mentioned on the forum, i didn't check.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:33:09 AM by nudone »

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just for mouser.
    • Donate to Member
Re: vista - a simple way to change a file type's associated ICON
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 12:22:55 AM »
Thanks nudone. I don't use Vista but I know a few people who do and this might come in handy when they inevitably come to me with questions. :)