topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 687861 times)

Drugwash

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
« Reply #800 on: January 01, 2012, 12:25 AM »
I'm afraid the Channels and ModDate columns don't work under 9x - nothing is displayed. And the sample rate is still broken.
Yes, I did reload the playlist, restarted Trout, looked through Options...  :(
(Only tried the portable version)

As for the album art issue we discussed (related to EPPM's files), there are two problems:
1. Unicode fields in the APIC tags are not properly parsed (for ID3 v2.3+)
2. PIC tags are not recognized (for ID3 v2.0-2.2)

I had build an empirical parser in my player and managed to display the picture tags correctly, but then got carried away by my old Unicode/RichEdit pet peeve and broke it all.  :-[

Anyway, all this aside... Happy New Year to us all!  :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:29 AM by Drugwash, Reason: added mention about the tested version »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #801 on: January 01, 2012, 12:30 AM »
I'm afraid the Channels and ModDate columns don't work under 9x - nothing is displayed. And the sample rate is still broken.

Sample rate and Channels columns use the AudioGenie3 DLL so Win9x support is out for those.  I'll try to look into the ModDate column for Win9x.

Drugwash

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #802 on: January 01, 2012, 12:42 AM »
I see. Well then, if it's not too much of a trouble, those columns should be removed from the Columns submenu when in 9x mode.
Personally I wouldn't care much about ModDate, so unless other 9x users do, there's no rush.
Thank you for the explanation.  ;)

highend01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #803 on: February 27, 2012, 05:45 PM »
Is there a way to double click on a .mp3 file in e.g. XYplorer (great file manager with portable file associations) and Trout opens (regardless if it was running before or not) and plays exactly this file? Atm it will only append the clicked file to the playlist and from time to time I just want to listen to the files that I select inside XYplorer instead of the files that are in the Trout playlist.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #804 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03 PM »
actly this file? Atm it will only append the clicked file to the playlist and from time to time I just want to listen to the files that I select inside XYplorer instead of the files that are in the Trout playlist.

No, there is not.  However, you may want to give my Looper program a try.  That's what I use for quick previewing of audio files within my file manager (Salamander).

highend01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #805 on: February 28, 2012, 03:05 AM »
However, you may want to give my Looper program a try

:) Simple, unobtrusive and it does what I was looking for. Thanks skwire!

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #806 on: April 27, 2012, 09:00 AM »
Great player, minimalistic to the bone. Although you do mention that Foobar2000 is your main player, but since I do not need most of its functions Trout is great replacement!

Since I'm using Trout as my main audio player, and I'd like to setup file associations is there an fast and easy way (like for example in Foobar2000) or I have to do it manually?

Also, could you please document new update (build 62)?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:20 AM by Attronarch »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #807 on: April 27, 2012, 09:08 AM »
Great player, minimalistic to the bone. Although you do mention that Foobar2000 is your main player, but since I do not need most of its functions Trout is great replacement!

Thanks for your kind words.   :D  I'm glad you like the player.

Since I'm using Trout as my main audio player, and I'd like to setup file associations. Is there an fast and easy way (like for example in Foobar2000) or I have to do it manually?

Yeah, manually.  Apologies.   :-[

Also, could you please document new update (build 62)?

Just one bugfix:

Website | Installer | Portable
v1.0.6 build 62 - 2012-04-26
    ! Launching the Find Track dialog twice from a hotkey would result in an error.  (Thanks, Ivan)

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #808 on: April 28, 2012, 12:25 AM »
Since I'm using Trout as my main audio player, and I'd like to setup file associations. Is there an fast and easy way (like for example in Foobar2000) or I have to do it manually?

Yeah, manually.  Apologies.   :-[

And would you be interested in implementing such a feature in the future? :)

Also, I noticed a possible bug. When I deactivate some columns and press Ctrl + it will expand ALL columns, both active and inactive ones.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:31 AM by Attronarch »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #809 on: April 28, 2012, 08:18 PM »
And would you be interested in implementing such a feature in the future? :)

I've considered it in the past and it is on the ToDo list.

Also, I noticed a possible bug. When I deactivate some columns and press Ctrl + it will expand ALL columns, both active and inactive ones.

Yes, this is by design.  Even though not very many people are aware of the default Ctrl + hotkey, I didn't want to override a Windows default action.  =]  At any rate, you can assign a hotkey to the internal "Justify columns" action to justify only columns you have selected to view.

boogle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #810 on: May 21, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Could you add an option to show the toaster tooltip on the upper left top of the screen?

Could you add an option to show the lyrics inside the player's window instead of in a floating window?

Thank you for this application.  :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #811 on: May 22, 2012, 08:21 AM »
Could you add an option to show the toaster tooltip on the upper left top of the screen?

I'll see what I can do about this.

Could you add an option to show the lyrics inside the player's window instead of in a floating window?

No, I don't want mess with the main interface.  The lyrics window is separate so that it can stay open and visible while the main interface is hidden.

Thank you for this application.  :Thmbsup:

You're welcome.  I'm glad you're finding it useful.  =]

boogle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #812 on: May 22, 2012, 01:01 PM »

I'll see what I can do about this.
Thanks.

Chrobe

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #813 on: June 16, 2012, 02:01 PM »
Man, I just downloaded this to check it out. I have used more players than you can shake a stick at, winamp, windows mp, realplayer, foobar...you name it, I have tried it. This one I love. It has everything I want in a player. It is light-weight, simple and best of all...FREE! I just had to tell you how much I like it. SFF...Marvelous, Simply marvelous :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #814 on: June 16, 2012, 02:09 PM »
Man, I just downloaded this to check it out. I have used more players than you can shake a stick at, winamp, windows mp, realplayer, foobar...you name it, I have tried it. This one I love. It has everything I want in a player. It is light-weight, simple and best of all...FREE! I just had to tell you how much I like it. SFF...Marvelous, Simply marvelous :Thmbsup:

Welcome to the site, Chrobe, and thanks for the kind words.  I'm glad you're enjoying Trout.   :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #815 on: June 16, 2012, 03:36 PM »
v1.0.6 build 63 - 2012-06-16
    * Shortened filepath displayed in the statusbar to 64 characters.  (Thanks, AEN007)

therube

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #816 on: December 21, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Option to add only the minimal amount of needed data when loading a folder.
Missing info could be added when the actual song is played, or when selected song(s) are selected for "playlist tag update".

As it is I'm running on 1 hour in playlist load time & I'm nowhere near completed.
So far its cataloged ~23000 files, & in the end, should it ever finish, it will be around 70K.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #817 on: December 22, 2012, 12:01 AM »
As it is I'm running on 1 hour in playlist load time & I'm nowhere near completed.
So far its cataloged ~23000 files

Hmmm...that's odd.  I just ran a test and was able to load 23,000 files in ~11 minutes.   :huh:  At any rate, I never designed Trout to run with that many items in its list.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #818 on: February 02, 2013, 06:45 PM »
v1.0.6 build 67 - 2013-02-02
    + Added playback support for the Opus audio codec.  Tags are not supported at
      this time.

Lowtone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #819 on: July 27, 2013, 03:42 AM »
Hello,
I use Trout, almost everyday, since two years, and i really appreciate it. It is one of the best music player around.
( version 1.0.6 build 67
I just noticed some very minor issues and has some new ideas to make it even better.

The "channels" column has only numbers like 1 or 2, but stays often wide because the word channels is longer than 1 or 2.
I also noticed that the width of the columns is not kept when i start the program again.

Is it possible to have a column that says if the file si 16 or 24 bits ( or else ? )
Is it possible to have an option that allows crossfading between songs ?
Can a streaming option ( à la Shoutcast / Icecast ) be added ?

Something i haven't tested yet : do Trout knows how to use replay-gain ?
Side question : is it possible to apply a general replay-gain to all the files?

I use Trout mostly with Flac files, some Wav, some Aiff and a bunch of Ape, and currently i have almost 7000 songs
But i'm going to have more and more songs.
I am not a programmer at all, so i have no idea how my ideas can be implemented if you like them.
I just hope it's not too much work or bothering.

Thanks a lot for this very useful and conveinient program  :Thmbsup:
Regards.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #820 on: July 27, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Hi, Lowtone, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

I use Trout, almost everyday, since two years, and i really appreciate it. It is one of the best music player around.

Thank you for your kind words.

The "channels" column has only numbers like 1 or 2, but stays often wide because the word channels is longer than 1 or 2.
I also noticed that the width of the columns is not kept when i start the program again.

Hmmm...the column widths should be saved when closing the program.  I can resize the channels column and it saves for me.

Is it possible to have a column that says if the file si 16 or 24 bits ( or else ? )
Is it possible to have an option that allows crossfading between songs ?
Can a streaming option ( à la Shoutcast / Icecast ) be added ?

1) I can look into that.
2) I know the BASS library can do this but I've never researched it enough to figure out how.
3) So, this question is a bit murkier because there actually is a hidden Shoutcast browser in Trout.  However, it no longer works because the Shoutcast folks changed up their API and now require an API key (breaking Trout's Shoutcast browser).  There is even an Icecast browser and a simple media database in there, too.  I've never fully polished them so I've never released that functionality to the Trout minions out there.   :D

Something i haven't tested yet : do Trout knows how to use replay-gain ?
Side question : is it possible to apply a general replay-gain to all the files?

Trout does not use ReplayGain nor can it add it.  Foobar is your best bet for this.

Thanks a lot for this very useful and conveinient program  :Thmbsup:

You're very welcome.  I know that I've sort of been neglecting Trout lately and I need to get it up to speed...especially with Unicode path handling.  Adding that will definitely break Windows 2000 and below compatibility but, seeing that it's 2013, I really don't care anymore.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #821 on: July 27, 2013, 04:14 PM »
Wonderful.  Can't even get a Shoutcast API key if I wanted to.   :-\

http://www.shoutcast...partner_request_form

Lowtone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #822 on: August 03, 2013, 11:25 AM »
Hello, thanks for the quick answer  :Thmbsup:

Hmmm...the column widths should be saved when closing the program.  I can resize the channels column and it saves for me.
It don't seem to work  :(
There is also a kinda useless column, wich tells with file is playing, with a little arrow. Not removable

1) I can look into that.
Ah great! thanks a lot, this will become useful with the devlopement of High Definition digital sound, like rips from Blu ray audio.

2) I know the BASS library can do this but I've never researched it enough to figure out how.
There was a Paradox Dj programm ten years ago who was able to do this ( sorry i can't recall the name, BPMsomething or so )

http://wiki.audacity...ldwave_Crossfade.png
a simple crossfade interface like this would be good enough

3) So, this question is a bit murkier because there actually is a hidden Shoutcast browser in Trout.  However, it no longer works because the Shoutcast folks changed up their API and now require an API key (breaking Trout's Shoutcast browser).  There is even an Icecast browser and a simple media database in there, too.  I've never fully polished them so I've never released that functionality to the Trout minions out there.   :D
aww :o too bad
i've always lost time to load Winamp+shoutcast while getting the sound from Trout via the stereo mixer
( Trout search option is very handy when listeners asks for a song )

Trout does not use ReplayGain nor can it add it.  Foobar is your best bet for this.
So even if i set it with Foobar it will ignored by Trout  :tellme:

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #823 on: November 02, 2013, 11:28 PM »
Bug: Open file location fails if certain characters are in the file name.

There may be others, but so far I have found that = and , break it.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #824 on: November 03, 2013, 12:02 AM »
Thanks, app.  Please see if this fixes it:

v1.0.6 build 71 - 2013-11-02
    ! "Open file location" didn't work properly if the filename contained certain
      characters.  (Thanks, app103)