topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 687908 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
« Reply #425 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20 PM »
The issue is that you do not have the Webdings font installed.  It's usually installed by default when you install Windows (unless you're running some sort of custom lean install).  Which OS are you using?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #426 on: November 13, 2009, 12:22 PM »
You can try downloading & installing the Webdings font from here: http://web.nickshank...osoft-core-web-fonts

It should give you the missing characters needed for the buttons.

efini93

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #427 on: November 13, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Windows Vista
I do have Webdings installed
i even tried installing it again and nothing

Larix

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #428 on: November 29, 2009, 05:24 AM »
I have the same bug with the play controls. ;(
And another bug, when I set Volumen Control "Use themed bar instead" the direction changed. To turn up the sound I must go down and to turn down the sound I must go up.
When the Volumen Control use the "normal" Theme, it works correctly.

I use Windows XP Home SP3 with all Updates. The Font Webdings is installed.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #429 on: November 29, 2009, 09:02 PM »
Is the Webdings font usable in a word processor?  Wordpad, for instance?  As for the reversed volume control...that seems to happen with certain Visual Styles. 

Larix

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #430 on: December 01, 2009, 01:20 PM »
Yes, Webdings is useable at Openoffice.org for example.
I have updated trout to Version 1.3 Build 249.

/edit:
I have now disabled my Windows Theme and enabled the Windows Classic Theme and the play controls appear.
When I enable my theme again the play controls disappear.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:45 PM by Larix »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #431 on: December 09, 2009, 08:51 AM »
a tiny feature req: when adding files via 'File > Add File(s)' menu, can the last selected folder be default? Trout can remember for the current session only, just like it does for 'File > Add Folder'.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #432 on: December 09, 2009, 09:57 AM »
v1.0.3 build 254 - 2009-12-09
    + The "Add files" function now remembers the last selected file.  (Thanks, lanux128)

'Tis the season for giving, my friend.  Also, since this is a file selection dialog, it remembers the last selected file.  Is that acceptable?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #433 on: December 09, 2009, 10:00 AM »
I have now disabled my Windows Theme and enabled the Windows Classic Theme and the play controls appear.

This is a good clue, thanks.  From the screenshot, I assume you're using a custom Visual Style?  Do the glyphs show up if you use, say, one of the standard Luna themes?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #434 on: December 09, 2009, 10:02 AM »
'Tis the season for giving, my friend.  Also, since this is a file selection dialog, it remembers the last selected file.  Is that acceptable?

indeed it is acceptable, it's cool how you always throw in some extras.. :)

Larix

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #435 on: December 10, 2009, 02:51 PM »

This is a good clue, thanks.  From the screenshot, I assume you're using a custom Visual Style?  Do the glyphs show up if you use, say, one of the standard Luna themes?
Yes, with Luna the glyphs are shown.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:53 PM by Larix »

Greybrow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #436 on: December 11, 2009, 05:27 AM »
...I think gapless playback is only relevant if the playing mode is the "Play list" or "Repeat list" option.  I don't think it makes sense for any of the other modes (Play file, Repeat file, Random, or Shuffle).  Would you agree?

Absolutely.

Perhaps it's not in the cards right now? Next project - Haddock, Cod...

Regards.

NOT
It ruins listening to albums, which are meant to be listened to as a whole :(
That's the first thing I check when I try new player, and disqualifies most of them :/

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #437 on: December 11, 2009, 05:41 AM »
Regarding gapless playback, I agree with you and that's one of the reasons why my main player is still foobar.  I think it's the best player out there.

Greybrow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #438 on: December 11, 2009, 08:34 AM »
You don't use your own software? :)
Otherwise it looks ok for me. Keep up good work  :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #439 on: December 11, 2009, 08:46 AM »
You don't use your own software? :)
Otherwise it looks ok for me. Keep up good work  :Thmbsup:

I use both.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #440 on: December 11, 2009, 09:35 AM »
I guess I should explain myself a bit further...

I have, currently, around 87,000 tracks in my music collection.  foobar, with the database enabled and that many tracks scanned in, uses several HUNDRED megs of RAM on my computer and generally slows everything down.  Furthermore, it's rather slow to start and be ready to play music with that large of a database.  So, I only load it up when I want to do some serious music listening.  I also use it to playback my emulated video game music files and convert my lossless files to other formats when necessary. 

I use Trout for all the other times I listen to music on my computer...working, surfing, coding, IRC, etc.  As I've said before, I wrote Trout partly as a challenge to myself to see how far I could take AutoHotkey as a language.  Trout is hardly the technical player that foobar is and I'm not even in the same ballpark as Peter Pawlowski (foobar's author) when it comes to coding.  That being said, I'm still humbled at the response it's received over this past year; I released it on January 1st as part of last year's NANY.

Does that help to explain things?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #441 on: December 11, 2009, 03:04 PM »
v1.0.3 build 257 - 2009-12-11
    * Made a change to how the main listview sorts accented characters e.g.
      "Édith Piaf" should now sort with "E" and not to the bottom of the list.
      (Thanks, Leif Larsson)

Greybrow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #442 on: December 11, 2009, 07:27 PM »
My foobar takes 28MB of ram and starts within 1 second wait time, kind of 10x less than firefox. So it's still very usable. But I understand you that with bigger collection it takes much more.

I was wondering how much would it take, with library turned off. So I checked :) 14MB
Trout was 8MB empty, and 20MB with all files loaded as playlist.

I tried to drag&drop files to trout, and it failed for the first time. It shown me an icon with plus sign, when I hovered the gray menu zone, but after I dropped it there it didn't add them to the playlist. So I tried second time but dropped files to the playlist zone, and it started to add them.
It is nice, that I could play music that was already loaded while the files were in the queue. But list kept jumping to the beginning while loading and that was bit annoying.

I wondered what would happen, if I exit program, while still loading files. So I closed and reopened trout. And there were only those files, that were already read before exiting.

After I read all the files from disk to playlist, and then reopened program. It took about 3 seconds to open. So it seems slower than foobar with library.
It took lots of time opening them for the first time, probably the same as foobar importing files to the library for the first time.

Strangely I like trout interface better :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #443 on: December 11, 2009, 08:12 PM »
I was wondering how much would it take, with library turned off. So I checked :) 14MB

Same here.  Without the database enabled, foobar is extremely quick to start up.  However, I like having a searchable database within my audio players.

Trout was 8MB empty, and 20MB with all files loaded as playlist.

How many files?

I tried to drag&drop files to trout, and it failed for the first time. It shown me an icon with plus sign, when I hovered the gray menu zone, but after I dropped it there it didn't add them to the playlist. So I tried second time but dropped files to the playlist zone, and it started to add them.

Correct, you need to drop onto the playlist.

It is nice, that I could play music that was already loaded while the files were in the queue. But list kept jumping to the beginning while loading and that was bit annoying.
I wondered what would happen, if I exit program, while still loading files. So I closed and reopened trout. And there were only those files, that were already read before exiting.

This is normal behaviour.  When you drop files onto Trout, it has to read the files' tags to be able to populate the list.  So, if you close down Trout while it's scanning through the dropped files, it a) doesn't have a chance to read them all and b) doesn't have a chance to save the playlist when it's done scanning.

After I read all the files from disk to playlist, and then reopened program. It took about 3 seconds to open. So it seems slower than foobar with library.
It took lots of time opening them for the first time, probably the same as foobar importing files to the library for the first time.

Trout's opening speed will depend on how many files are in the list.  I rarely keep more than 30 or 40 items in my playlist.

I've been working on a database functionality within Trout that has file/tag searching and Shoutcast/Icecast browsing.  It's not nearly as slick as foobar's auto-updating database but it uses one HELLUVA lot less RAM.  For instance, with my database of 87,000 tracks loaded and searchable, Trout uses 32 megs of RAM (with an empty playlist).  The tag searching is of the find-as-you-type type and is pretty darn fast (if I may be so bold).  Here are some screenshots:

2009-10-30_123044.pngNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)2009-10-30_123057.pngNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
2009-10-30_123105.pngNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)2009-10-30_123114.pngNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)

Note the search time in the status bar of the first screenshot.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #444 on: December 12, 2009, 06:41 AM »
v1.0.3 build 258 - 2009-12-12
    * Trout will now unmute itself if changes are made to the volume while it's muted.  (Thanks, lanux128)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:14 AM by skwire »

Greybrow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #445 on: December 12, 2009, 07:36 AM »
Collection is about 8000.

About dropping files. Trout could first save the list, and then read it. Or read it on demand (after scrolling).

Is there a way to change playlist grid color? Or change line to dotted line? Or turn it off?
I like lime on black theme, and almost white grid spoils it a bit. :)

I have just tried aimp2. It takes 5MB of ram opened, 9MB with collection loaded as playlist, and 16MB with library opened.
And it does gapless. And last.fm. And has library and tag editor. And plays wide variety of music formats. But looks more like winamp.
I don't know how they did it :o but they're from Russia :)
http://www.aimp.ru/ (English version available)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #446 on: December 12, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Collection is about 8000.
About dropping files. Trout could first save the list, and then read it. Or read it on demand (after scrolling).

No, I'm not going to change this behaviour.

Is there a way to change playlist grid color? Or change line to dotted line? Or turn it off?
I like lime on black theme, and almost white grid spoils it a bit. :)

I can add an option to toggle the grid.  The grid colour itself, as far as I know, can only be changed via Windows colour schemes.

I have just tried aimp2. It takes 5MB of ram opened, 9MB with collection loaded as playlist, and 16MB with library opened.
And it does gapless. And last.fm. And has library and tag editor. And plays wide variety of music formats. But looks more like winamp

I am familiar with AIMP and I think it's an extremely well done music player.  However, I'm not a fan of skinned interfaces.  Trout is not written to compete with other players.  I simply don't care about things like RAM usage (unless an app uses hundreds of megs for no good reason).  For the record, within Trout, I don't use any SetProcessWorkingSetSize tricks to artificially lower apparent RAM usage.

I started writing Trout for myself and I'm very flattered that many many people, including yourself now, have helped shape what it is today.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #447 on: December 12, 2009, 10:14 AM »
v1.0.3 build 261 - 2009-12-12
    + Added option under the View menu to show/hide gridlines of the main playlist.  (Thanks, Greybrow)

Greybrow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #448 on: December 14, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Trout is not written to compete with other players.
I started writing Trout for myself and I'm very flattered that many many people, including yourself now, have helped shape what it is today.
:D
That's the spirit. It's usually very hard to work for free and get only requests and complains :)

jeirich

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #449 on: December 29, 2009, 04:50 PM »
How do I disable the shell extension?  I can't find it in ShellExView.  Thanks in advance.