Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 28, 2014, 09:29:16 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tech News Weekly: Edition 47  (Read 7291 times)
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:23:33 PM »

The Weekly Tech News
Hi all.
No meta-news this week.
As usual, you can find last week's news here.

1. E-mails Show How Intel Benefited from Vista Capable Changes (Thanks 40hz)

2. Big Guns Come Out In Effort To Show RIAA's Lawsuits Are Unconstitutional

3. Secret German IP Addresses Leaked

4. Online Age Verification for Children Brings Privacy Worries

5. Lego Safe is Ultra Secure

6. Microsoft Kills OneCare, Replaces It With Freebie 'Morro'

7. Under Worm Assault, Military Bans Disks, USB Drives

8. Dead Network Provider Arms Rustock Botnet from the Hereafter

9. E-gold Directors Avoid Jail

10. Phisher-besieged PayPal Sends Users Faux Log-in Page

11. PC Virus Forces Three London Hospitals Into Computer Shutdown

12. Lame Mac Trojan Limps Into View

13. British National Party Membership List Leaks Online

14. SSH Sniffer Attack Poses Minor Risk

15. Obama's Cell Records Improperly Accessed

16. Researchers Find Flaws In Microsoft VoIP Apps

17. FOIA Docs Show Feds Can Lojack Mobiles Without Telco Help

18. Duke's New P2P Policy Won't Stop RIAA Lawsuits

19. Tennessee Anti-P2P Law to Cost Colleges Over $13 Million

20. Apple Lawyers Hand IPod Hash Cracking Site a DMCA Notice

21. Inaction On Disconnect Pleas at Root of Aussie ISP Lawsuit

22. First Test for Interplanetary Net

23. Huge Buried Water Glaciers Discovered On Mars

Ehtyar.
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 03:51:06 AM »

Thmbsup as usual Ethyar smiley

10. PayPal, hah!
19. Tennessee - wow, I'd be pissed off if I lived there ...

Tom
ewemoa
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 06:40:17 AM »

Thanks again Ehtyar!

10. I wonder if PayPal will install some kind of automated checking...
23. Bottled water from Mars, anyone?  Wink
Nod5
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »

Thank you Ehtyar - several really interesting articles in that list!  Thmbsup

Two things though: the links in your list of articles, when displayed on the donationcoder frontpage, does not work (not in Firefox, not in Maxthon). Clicking a link only centres it but does not show the text and does not redirect to the relevant forum thread.

In the forum thread, I think it would be better to remove the "click to reveal/hide" buttons and just display all the contents as is. The user can quickly scroll. Additionally, a clickable index could be placed at the top.

These are just small suggestions. If you already have a good working process for assembling and posting these roundups then it is probably better to stick to that. But if you at some point rework the process then think about the above suggestions.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:45:32 PM »

Two things though: the links in your list of articles, when displayed on the donationcoder frontpage, does not work (not in Firefox, not in Maxthon). Clicking a link only centres it but does not show the text and does not redirect to the relevant forum thread.
Probably a thing for mouser to look at - internal links might not work that well outside of thread view.

In the forum thread, I think it would be better to remove the "click to reveal/hide" buttons and just display all the contents as is. The user can quickly scroll. Additionally, a clickable index could be placed at the top.
those buttons were added by popular demand smiley - perhaps we should take a poll vote on it? Or coax mouser into doing some addon so we can have personal preferences? Wink

- carpe noctem
Nod5
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »

Probably a thing for mouser to look at - internal links might not work that well outside of thread view.
They seem to behave the same inside the thread - clicking the hyperlink (not the button) only scrolls to that same hyperlink. That's unexpected hyperlink behaviour.

those buttons were added by popular demand smiley - perhaps we should take a poll vote on it? Or coax mouser into doing some addon so we can have personal preferences? Wink
Nah, it is probably best to just keep them in that case.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:13:20 PM by Nod5 » Logged
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 02:15:16 PM »

the linked titles link to nothingness.. fix that ethyar please, it's confusing -- just make them non links (bolded plaintext).

as for the spoiler buttons opening up to read the contents, i like it and i think from last experiment there was general consensus that it is a win.
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 03:58:25 PM »

mouser: the links can make sense if people use them in posts like this:

On 22: Now that's what I call latency smiley

Thank you Ehtyar for yet another great weekly!

4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 01:30:24 AM »

On 22: Too bad they can't implement it on product support personnel, maybe then you'd be guaranteed of a reply.

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 03:06:15 AM »

mouser: the links can make sense if people use them in posts like this:

On 22: Now that's what I call latency smiley
Well thank god SOMEONE finally figured out what they're for. They're scripted, so it's more work to remove them than to keep adding them; if you don't like them don't use them.
I'd like to add a button at the top to expand all the news articles in one go to cater for those who prefer the full layout. Mouse Man, I'll try to get some code to you prior to next week's news.
On 22: Too bad they can't implement it on product support personnel, maybe then you'd be guaranteed of a reply.
ROFL, <3 4wd.

Ehtyar.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 05:27:32 AM »

jgpaiva,
there are 2 different things.

There are ANCHORS, which allow people to link to a specific headline item.  those make sense.
Then there is the fact that each bulleted headline is a LINK to itself.. which is pointless.
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 07:16:21 AM »

Ok, now I understand. But if ehtyar didn't add those links for the anchors, how would we get the link to use in our posts? smiley

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 07:24:06 AM »

Good point.  How about making the # a link but not the headline.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.076s | Server load: 0.02 ]